Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dr collins is only really good for the chemistry. everything else is just a gloss and ur pretty much just hoping the practice material will be on ur exam for the other sections

tx so so much do you think collins will be enough to get the score ,please let me know thanks.

Yeah it's not really about the resources it's more about how you study. It's not like anyone who gets Dr Collins scores in the 99th percentile or that anyone who gets Kaplan can't score that high. So don't spend too much time debating on which resources to get. Just get what you can and start studying.

Buying the 3 Pearson practice PCAT tests is also highly recommended. From what I hear, it's the best practice material you can get your hands on.

dr collins is only really good for the chemistry. everything else is just a gloss and ur pretty much just hoping the practice material will be on ur exam for the other sections

The Quant/Bio practice for collins isn't similar to the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
well for me it wasn't. I am a biology major so that carried me more than the Collins. And for math, I have always been good at math, but I feel Collins didn't do those sections justice in terms of material compared to the chemistry, which was the most helpful of them all. Also it is a huge test bank, so maybe I just didn't get lucky that day, but still did well regardless.

I used only Dr. Collins for the PCAT. I did REALLY well in the chemistry section and did awful in the reading section. I did okay in the other sections as well. I think that whatever material you end up choosing, you should just stick to that one. If I tried to do Dr. Collins and Kaplan, I don't think I would have done well at all. I learn from making mistakes so that's why I went with Dr. Collins. I took every practice exam as if it was the real thing and to be completely honest I did terrible on all of them the first time around. I did every practice test at least twice. I didn't have any of the same questions on my PCAT from my practice exams, it was just the practice of doing them over again that helped me do well.

thanks san786 for sharing your experience with Dr.Collins material,can you please guide me which part really help you from Collins material ,I dont have so much time to study because I have a full time job too,but also I want to get accepted in Nova.From where you suggest to practice reading section,please guide me in right direcction thanks.

thanks san786 for sharing your experience with Dr.Collins material,can you please guide me which part really help you from Collins material ,I dont have so much time to study because I have a full time job too,but also I want to get accepted in Nova.From where you suggest to practice reading section,please guide me in right direcction thanks.

I would do all of the chemistry, bio, and math practice tests for sure. If you get a questions wrong, go back to the study guide and learn why you got it wrong. Verbal and reading practice tests weren't very helpful for me.

thanks san786 please can you tell me beside practice tests from collins from where you recommend to study please let me know about chem,bio,math and english thanks so much

Edited because, after reading his explanation, it makes more sense.

HCN = 14 total electrons, 8 of which are involved in the sigma and pi bonds, therefore, 6 are unbonded electrons. (Core electrons + the 2 valence electrons (lone pair) on the Nitrogen.)

VERY odd way of asking that question.

I have uploaded the attachment of his explanation in case you didn't have that at your disposal. Good luck with your studying!
yo dude, i only see 10 e- not 14 e- how u get that!??

Dont waste your money on that Kaplan stuff. I took the Kaplan Course and it was the biggest waste of my money. Paid $1300 !! I'm still mad just thinking about it !

Wow, you actually took the course? The pharmacist where I work kept telling me to take it, I didn't listen though. But I did buy the Kaplan book off of Amazon, needless to say it didn't help me not one bit. I only scored 2 points or percent higher than I did the last time. And I didn't do very well the first time. :nono: