Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
same here

it helped me breeze through the vocab section, after double checking my work i had 10mins left . . .

don't need it, if somebody wants it

I just got my scores for the October PCAT. Here are my scores

October 2010
Chemistry 98
Math 99
Biology 92
Reading 88
Verbal 98
Composite 99
Writing 3.0

study about 2 weeks along w/ Kaplan PCAT book

I did well thanks to Dr Collins study packet, which had like 10 questions from chemistry, 5 question from biology, 11 questions from Verbal. They helped me finish the exam quicker while making the exam taking much more relaxing. Like the posts mentioned above, I highly recommend to take the Dr Collins.

I just recently signed up to Student Doctor Network but I have all the Mathematics, Reading Comprehension, Verbal, Biology, and Chemistry packets (about 6-7 practice tests per subject, with a study guide in each subject as well).

I am selling mine for $70 compared to the $320+ i believe they sell. PM me if you are interested or have further questions about the contents of the package.
Finally! I see someone with a 99 percentile. I thought the biology section was simple; so was chemistry, it was the same concept, not questions though. For the Verbal, I saw like 10 same questions, I did not study with kaplan, I did Dr Collins + Pearson review. And used kaplan/prep for reading. Hopefully I can get my score, so I can tell you. Im also born on 1988, so power to you :thumbup:

I am taking the january 2011 pcat. I got the dr collins study guide from a friend who took it in August. Do you think its mandatory I get an updated version. Will I do fine using this one?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a friendly reminder that advertising is prohibited in this forum. Please post ALL advertisements (including want ads) in the classifieds section. If you post your ads here, they will be deleted, and your username will be subject ot the TOS.

Finally! I see someone with a 99 percentile. I thought the biology section was simple; so was chemistry, it was the same concept, not questions though. For the Verbal, I saw like 10 same questions, I did not study with kaplan, I did Dr Collins + Pearson review. And used kaplan/prep for reading. Hopefully I can get my score, so I can tell you. Im also born on 1988, so power to you :thumbup:

I think that quite a few people who used Dr. Collins' scored 99th percentile composite and in certain sections. (Myself included.)

I scored 96 Bio, 99 Chemistry, 99 Quantitative, 92 Verbal and 84 or 86 Reading, and a 99 Composite so it's definitely possible.

The thing about his Biology section is that, while it is simple, is in line with the actual PCAT. Honestly, the PCAT will have to ask relatively simple questions. You won't be asked about specific enzymes in Glycolysis, You won't be asked about which factor is used where in the Clotting pathway, etc. I was glad that I purchased his packet because it showed me concepts that I would have NEVER thought to have studied and it bailed my arse out when it came to Ecology questions.

^ Wow, excellent score! How much time did you set out for studying?

Anyhow, does anyone know what the correct answer for Dr. Collins Chem set 9, question 41 is? The question asks "how many unbonded electrons are there in HCN?" and the answer given is 6. How is there 6? I don't see why the answer isn't 2. :confused:

Last edited:

Anyhow, does anyone know what the correct answer for Dr. Collins Chem set 9, question 41 is? The question asks "how many unbonded electrons are there in HCN?" and the answer given is 6. How is there 6? I don't see why the answer isn't 2. :confused:

Edited because, after reading his explanation, it makes more sense.

HCN = 14 total electrons, 8 of which are involved in the sigma and pi bonds, therefore, 6 are unbonded electrons. (Core electrons + the 2 valence electrons (lone pair) on the Nitrogen.)

VERY odd way of asking that question.

I have uploaded the attachment of his explanation in case you didn't have that at your disposal. Good luck with your studying!

Attachments

• Dr. C.doc
    39 KB · Views: 518
I think that quite a few people who used Dr. Collins' scored 99th percentile composite and in certain sections. (Myself included.)

I scored 96 Bio, 99 Chemistry, 99 Quantitative, 92 Verbal and 84 or 86 Reading, and a 99 Composite so it's definitely possible.

The thing about his Biology section is that, while it is simple, is in line with the actual PCAT. Honestly, the PCAT will have to ask relatively simple questions. You won't be asked about specific enzymes in Glycolysis, You won't be asked about which factor is used where in the Clotting pathway, etc. I was glad that I purchased his packet because it showed me concepts that I would have NEVER thought to have studied and it bailed my arse out when it came to Ecology questions.
the reading is hard on the actual pcat. but I think you got to read kaplan's biology section. the Collins review doesnt go over photic zones and diagrams. Im also using other review materials for verbal. Princeton gives some good strategies on it. I wish I could have attended Collin's class down in Florida now.

HCN = 14 total electrons, 8 of which are involved in the sigma and pi bonds, therefore, 6 are unbonded electrons. (Core electrons + the 2 valence electrons (lone pair) on the Nitrogen.)

I have uploaded the attachment of his explanation in case you didn't have that at your disposal. Good luck with your studying!

The set I ordered from Dr. Collins didn't include that explanation in the answers...so yeah, ambiguously phrased question. I kept thinking of valence electrons only. Thanks a lot for you help!

the reading is hard on the actual pcat. but I think you got to read kaplan's biology section. the Collins review doesnt go over photic zones and diagrams. Im also using other review materials for verbal. Princeton gives some good strategies on it. I wish I could have attended Collin's class down in Florida now.

The reading was just ... strange. (Ambiguous response, but meh!) The passages were interesting enough, however, the only place where I thought that the questions were similar to what I saw on the PCAT was via Pearson's Practice Exams.

Having said that, I thought that I was going to score HORRIBLY on the PCAT in the Reading section since I knew that people typically get more questions correct on that exam. I was more than happy with a reading score in the 80's

Would it be helpful to study dr. collins study prep for the test in july or sept. ??
Since, this is a new computerized test format from now on, i think Pearson would change their ways of testing..?? any thoughts ??::confused:

I took the first version of the computerized test way back in October, and it didn't seem like anything was changed. I actually preferred the online method opposed to the traditional pencil and paper.

I bought Dr. Collins on Amazon about a month ago. Does he make updated versions? Now that I'm reading this, I'm concerned that I may have an old version that it may not benefit me as much as a newer version :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought Dr. Collins on Amazon about a month ago. Does he make updated versions? Now that I'm reading this, I'm concerned that I may have an old version that it may not benefit me as much as a newer version :scared:

They sell it on Amazon? Really?!?!?

I used a version from 2009 to take the January 2010 PCAT and scored 99th percentile. I gave it to a friend who took the January 2011 PCAT and scored 93rd percentile and was just accepted to UNC. Bottom line, it's not just the questions that are important, it's how use the material presented in the packet.

It shouldn't make any difference unless you're expecting to memorize every question in the packet, in which case, you will complain after the exam about how it didn't help you at all. :)

Did the computerized exam make the test any easier? How was the test administered? Did they still give breaks between sections?

Question for those who used the Dr Collins Review and scored higher? Does anyone have a method that I should use to study? I dont want to study to soon and forget any info!!!:(

What version do you have? I was thinking about getting one from Amazon.

thanks guys

do you guys think there would be actually any difference in the last year study guide and in this years? i want to take PCAT in sept, so starting to prepare.
thanks

I used the Dr. Collins Self Study Guide, and it is without question the number one reason I did well on my PCATs.

Last edited:
This is to Chemguy79....Hey! I noticed that you did really good on your PCAT and that's amazing!! I'm taking the computer based pcat in July, and I have the 2009 version of the Dr. Collin's study guide. Do you think that will be any help, and what other sources did you use to help you do so well on the exam?! Please if it is not so much of you, can you please let me know? I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you for your time and concern.

H = 1 valence electron, C = 4 valence electrons, N= 5 valence eletrons. How does that equal 14 total electrons?

Wow this was really bugging me and my copy didn't include that explanation either. JEEZ they seem to be unnecessarily tricky on some of these questions...:confused:

Thanks for clearing that up!

Hey guys, can anyone with the 2011 version email me or let me know what is on page 15 of the Dr. Collins study guide for Gen Chem? I cant find mine. Thanks so much

Collins is too easy compared to the real thing. Its only good to sort of refresh your memory on various questions... I wouldn't say it "prepares" you for the PCAT. Trust me, people getting high scores on the PCAT (90s and up) is not because of Collins, but the work and effort they gave during their school years. Basically, if you don't have it don't sweat it. It's overpriced and overhyped.

Collins is too easy compared to the real thing. Its only good to sort of refresh your memory on various questions... I wouldn't say it "prepares" you for the PCAT. Trust me, people getting high scores on the PCAT (90s and up) is not because of Collins, but the work and effort they gave during their school years. Basically, if you don't have it don't sweat it. It's overpriced and overhyped.

I agree with what you say, even though I did buy it. People in this forum keep telling that they got really high score because of only this material. I do not think so. They got really high score because they already have the strong knowledge and Dr Collins tries to refresh their memorization through the questions. One thing to say, it is ok but not only one. You NEVER pass (even the really low score) if only base on this material.

I took all three Pearson practice tests and they were roughly the same difficulty as the Collins exams, of course with the exception of the reading comprehension which was more difficult on the practice test by far. I don't really think Collins is overhyped but it definitely does cost a lot of money.

Did you read what I wrote at all? :rolleyes:

I wrote 14 TOTAL electrons, which includes valence and core electrons.

by core electrons are you talking about the 1s2 electrons in the first shell of nitrogen and oxygen? are you kidding me this is the first time i have seen core electrons counted as unbonded electrons??

I agree with what you say, even though I did buy it. People in this forum keep telling that they got really high score because of only this material. I do not think so. They got really high score because they already have the strong knowledge and Dr Collins tries to refresh their memorization through the questions. One thing to say, it is ok but not only one. You NEVER pass (even the really low score) if only base on this material.

Not true, there are exceptions. When I took the PCAT, I had taken Bio I & II, Calculus 10 years earlier, and Anatomy. That's it. I never took Microbiology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Chem I & II, and Orgo I & II. Because of Dr. Collins, which represented 95% of my 3 weeks of studying, I scored a 94 composite.

In my opinion, Dr. Collins is THAT good. Without it l, who knows what I would've scored.

Not true, there are exceptions. When I took the PCAT, I had taken Bio I & II, Calculus 10 years earlier, and Anatomy. That's it. I never took Microbiology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Chem I & II, and Orgo I & II. Because of Dr. Collins, which represented 95% of my 3 weeks of studying, I scored a 94 composite.

In my opinion, Dr. Collins is THAT good. Without it l, who knows what I would've scored.
You never took any Chemistry or Orgo, Micro, Biochem and ended up scoring 94 with just three weeks of studying? What did you study 10 hours a day nonstop?

You never took any Chemistry or Orgo, Micro, Biochem and ended up scoring 94 with just three weeks of studying? What did you study 10 hours a day nonstop?

Some days, yes. :lame: I spent about 5 hours a day the majority of the time and skipped a few to go to work, get wasted, or both. Okay I'm kidding, I didn't work.

I basically read through the study materials once, then took all the Collins practice tests over and over. After each test, I would take the time to learn the concepts from the questions I missed (for example, I scored like 24/50 on my first Chem test, so that took a long time to cover what I didn't understand). I also compiled the purely informational facts (Biology has a ton of these, obviously) into a Word document and reviewed it every other day. I then took a Pearson practice test 5 and 2 days before the real thing. They estimated my Composite to be between 80-99, which at the time I thought was complete BS. To be honest, I expected to score in the 50s at best. Who knows, maybe it was luck? :luck: I did work my ass off though.

Some days, yes. :lame: I spent about 5 hours a day the majority of the time and skipped a few to go to work, get wasted, or both. Okay I'm kidding, I didn't work.

I basically read through the study materials once, then took all the Collins practice tests over and over. After each test, I would take the time to learn the concepts from the questions I missed (for example, I scored like 24/50 on my first Chem test, so that took a long time to cover what I didn't understand). I also compiled the purely informational facts (Biology has a ton of these, obviously) into a Word document and reviewed it every other day. I then took a Pearson practice test 5 and 2 days before the real thing. They estimated my Composite to be between 80-99, which at the time I thought was complete BS. To be honest, I expected to score in the 50s at best. Who knows, maybe it was luck? :luck: I did work my ass off though.

Hey! I was wondering, where did you buy your Dr. Collins book? I was looking through Amazon, and found one but it's $170, a bit pricey.

Thanks!

Yup, that will work every time :thumbup:

Im going to enroll in the course since its just like 30 minutes from where I live. So Im putting all my eggs on Dr Collins.

Hey! I was wondering, where did you buy your Dr. Collins book? I was looking through Amazon, and found one but it's $170, a bit pricey.

Thanks!

I bought mine through a guy in the pre-pharmacy club at school for $100. If one of the universities in your city has a pre-pharmacy club, I'd check there first. Otherwise, there might be Craigslist postings for it or the Free Classifieds sub-forum on here.

$170 isn't too bad compared to full price, but you can probably find a better deal.

Yup, that will work every time :thumbup:

Im going to enroll in the course since its just like 30 minutes from where I live. So Im putting all my eggs on Dr Collins.

Yeah if you're doing the study guide plus the full course, I'd put my money on you scoring at least a 99. If not, you'll definitely get the coveted imaginary 100th percentile. :smuggrin:

I bought mine through a guy in the pre-pharmacy club at school for $100. If one of the universities in your city has a pre-pharmacy club, I'd check there first. Otherwise, there might be Craigslist postings for it or the Free Classifieds sub-forum on here.

$170 isn't too bad compared to full price, but you can probably find a better deal.

Yeah if you're doing the study guide plus the full course, I'd put my money on you scoring at least a 99. If not, you'll definitely get the coveted imaginary 100th percentile. :smuggrin:
Im only taking one summer class(Physics) and just going to focus the rest of my time on studying for the exam. Im aiming for 90+ score. Lol @ 100th percentile. I need to borrow your PCAT confidence :laugh:

If anyone's wondering about 5minutes' post, it specifically says on the registration form:

Privacy Agreement
The undersigned student of the PCAT Prep Class agrees not to share, in any manner, with individuals not registered for the class nor to reproduce, in any form, for the purposing of such sharing, at the present time or in the future, the various materials provided as part of the PCAT Prep Class. In turn The PCAT Prep Class agrees to provide to said student, upon request and free of charge, any and all new material that may, in the future, be developed for the PCAT Prep Class. Requests for new material must be received at least one month prior to the next exam date. We are unable to honor requests after the one month period because you will not have sufficient time to study. In addition, said student may retake the PCAT Prep Class for the nominal fee of $40.00.
So, this verbage means...someone who has signed up for the prep class. Buy the packets on their own don't entail signing up for the full class. So, can i conclude that if buy the packet,,,then sell it...am not violating this clause?
P.S...please pay attention to the fact that the clause above clearly spells out students who sign up for the prep class and not those who just buy the self study material for home usage.

I agree, RC is way too easy on Dr. Collins. But if anything, going through the packets will help you build stamina and endurance for the real thing. If you want the "real thing" then buy the Pearson practice tests. And use Dr. C to supplement. It really helps with time management. I know that I have take 15 minutes to finish bio and verbal now thanks to Dr. C.

As for RC, I wouldn't bother with Dr. C. because his passages are way too easy.

Chem is excellent. I was scoring 80+ on chem using his stuff.

Bio is perfect. Also 80+

Verbal..depends..usually 70+

I am TERRIBLE at Biology, I'm honestly hoping to review Dr. Collins' Biology and hoping to grasp some of the concepts and just do good on the other subjects.

Hi I am currently taking the class in person and I have to say, yes the information for the biology section is fairly straight forward and the teacher who made the packet knows what the Pcat will focus on compared to just a kaplan or princeton book who I assume just gives u everything and says "go". The Dr. Collins packet helps give u a good starting point to expand on the information that the review entails, but don't go too deep because the Pcat doesn't really test high level biology courses like molecular biology in detail that a tier 2 level course does.

Reactions: 1 user
i want to take pcat in january 2015,and i worked full time also can anyone please please guide me from where i can study for pcat exam.I need around 70% composite to get admitted in pharmacy program in nova southeastern university.I am out of school more than 5 years and I cant remember a lot of things in chem,bio,and math.English is my second language,thanks a lot.

Hello there.
there is nobody who can guide me or help me about pcat prep please thanks.

Buy Kaplan's 2014-2015 PCAT book and start studying now.

You can also get Dr Collins if you want. In either case, just start studying as soon as possible.