Dr. Eric Topol and Cleveland Clinic Divorce?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCMD2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure all of you know Dr. Topol has been shunted from one of his position at Cleveland Clinic, the question is, do you think he is going to leave and where do you think he will go? Here are my guesses and why/ why not:
1. UCSF - Top Program, not so top Cards Division - money for stem cells
2. Stanford - stem cells
3. Duke - aggressive recruiters
4. Barnes Jewish - Research Bohemoth
Others: MGH, JHU, BWH, Mayo, Emory, Texas Heart

I give the move 6 - 12 months.
-CCMD

Members don't see this ad.

What was he shunted from? Thx.

CCMD2005 said:
I'm sure all of you know Dr. Topol has been shunted from one of his position at Cleveland Clinic, the question is, do you think he is going to leave and where do you think he will go? Here are my guesses and why/ why not:
2. Stanford - stem cells

-CCMD

IntMed said:
What was he shunted from? Thx.

He was Chief Academic Officer and Provost of the medical school, but only 3-4 days after testifying in the Vioxx federal trial in Houston, the CEO of Cleveland Clinic "took away" those positions from him but he still remains the Chief of Cards...do a www.google.com/news search on him and you will get the details.
-CCMD

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like my grandfather-in-law will need to find a new doctor. From what I understand, his old doctor who he loved retired a few years ago, he got a new one that he wasn't entirely happy with, and wrote the Chair of Cardiology of the Cleveland Clinic about his desire to see a different doctor. The man actually isn't too picky, and in fact credits the doctors of the Cleveland Clinc for keeping him alive for 20+ years (he just turned 80, had a major MI when he was ~60). He is also very good at making his preferences known. He ended up becoming a patient of none other than the Eric J. Topol, and has been very happy since.

When I heard this story about a year ago, my jaw dropped; him and his wife just shrugged it off, as they "only" see Dr. Topol as a great personal physician and don't care if he's the famous leading researcher in the field or CEO or a junior faculty member and an unknown institution; he's a good doctor that they very much appreciate.

CCMD2005 said:
2. Stanford - stem cells

-CCMD

I predicted that he would leave and I was right.
-CC

CCMD2005 said:
2. Stanford - stem cells

-CCMD

He has accepted a genetics professor post at CASE/Western Reserve...I wonder if he was the enigmatic chief of Cardiology that I was told about during my interview at CASE?

There's an enigmatic chair of cardiology at Case? I thought they didn't have one??

As below it seems like:
1) Yes, he is going to Case
2) He'll be at Case for a little while, probably at least a couple of years (the $17 million grant and everything)
3) But he will have no involvement in clinical medicine. So no, he won't be chair of cardiology at Case or even involved in the department of cardiology, just another researcher at Case Western's medical school.

ABC News:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=1602398
"Dr. Eric Topol, the world-renowned cardiologist who challenged the safety of the pain reliever Vioxx, is leaving The Cleveland Clinic to become a genetics professor."

The Plain Dealer (Cleveland's paper):
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1139564696314050.xml&coll=2
"Wrapping up 15 years of growth and prestige for the Clinic in cardiology, the sometimes-controversial Topol is moving down the street to Case Western Reserve University, where he will continue to lead a $17.2 million research project."
"The job at Case is likely to be a way station for a man who is, by all accounts, one of the most influential cardiologists of a generation."
"He said his clinical work with patients will be suspended."
"Dr. Ralph Horwitz, dean of the Case medical school, said he first talked about the move with Topol on Saturday. Topol already is on the faculty at Case. When the deal is finished, his sole appointment will be in its department of genetics."
"Discussions about how the 51-year-old Topol would exit the Clinic have been under way for weeks, ever since he was stripped of his dual positions as chief academic officer and provost. Clinic leaders seemed to want Topol out, people familiar with the situation said. Topol, meanwhile, was said to be considering other positions."

Crain's Cleveland Business:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/FREE/60209001/1007
"In an interview with Crain’s Cleveland Business, Dr. Topol said he will become a professor in the Department of Genetics, where he’ll teach and conduct research. But he added that he has no plans to practice medicine, either at University Hospitals of Cleveland or MetroHealth Medical Center, both of which have strong ties to the Case medical school."
"“(Practicing medicine) is not in my plans at the moment,” he said. “I have no plans to be at UH or Metro.”"
"Dr. Topol said he will continue his genetics research, which is financed by a $17 million grant from the National Institutes of Health. "