Dr sued $400k for communicating via writing instead of sign language interpreter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medicare and Medicaid don't pay whatever the physician charges.
I know. And, IMO, they have failed and need to be replaced.

I just think that how an applicant would like to practice medicine would be of interest to the interviewer. If you've thought it out and have a plan, why be ashamed to talk about it?
Encouraging the discussion of future plans is fine. Insisting that a particular point of view will keep you out of medical school is a cheap tactic, designed to scare premeds into believing they must agree with you or forfeit their admission to medical school. Just because you're on an adcom doesn't mean you're right.

Members don't see this ad.

Encouraging the discussion of future plans is fine. Insisting that a particular point of view will keep you out of medical school is a cheap tactic, designed to scare premeds into believing they must agree with you or forfeit their admission to medical school. Just because you're on an adcom doesn't mean you're right.

LizzyM, post 187 in this thread:
If you are a pre-med, be sure to work into your PS or your interview that you don't intend to accept Medicare or Medicaid because the government's unfunded mandates take too much money out of doctors' pockets.

post 232 in this thread
You can choose to exclude all Medicare and Medicaid patients from your practice. If you are pre-med and you think that this is the way to go, please advise your interviewers that you intend to exclude all poor, elderly, and permanently disabled patients from your practice unless they are able to pay cash for your services.

Where have I made any statement about the likelihood of admission to medical school? For all I know, your application might fall into the hands of an adcom member who heartily argrees with you and thinks that you have a realistic view of medicine in the twenty-first century.

For all I know, your application might fall into the hands of an adcom member who heartily argrees with you and thinks that you have a realistic view of medicine in the twenty-first century.
That's all I'm looking for. Thanks for being truthful.

Members don't see this ad :)
^
You're insane if you think that is good, legitimate advice.

Where have I made any statement about the likelihood of admission to medical school? For all I know, your application might fall into the hands of an adcom member who heartily argrees with you and thinks that you have a realistic view of medicine in the twenty-first century.

Ok, you didn't overtly say it, but your implication was that it would be unwise to mention these feelings on an interview. As an adcom member would you really look poorly upon an applicant who does not want to accept medicare/medicaid? It has nothing to do with disliking poor, sick, old patients. It has everything to do with not wanting to pay money to see patients, while giving up a chunk of your autonomy at the same time. I get that the government can basically decide to pay doctors whatever they want. I don't see why you think it is unreasonable to reject that underpayment.

LizzyM: I just wanted to say publicly I really enjoy reading your posts. If only the med school and residency applicants I interview demonstrated half your zeal and patient advocacy skills. I definitely thought the discussion in this board was a lot more interesting to read than the one over at the residency board.

lol, LizzyM was probably your interviewer way back in the day. I don't think you can expect any residency or med school applicant to have her knowledge. She probably runs her own adcom today. I'm not saying your old, LizzyM!

I just think that how an applicant would like to practice medicine would be of interest to the interviewer. If you've thought it out and have a plan, why be ashamed to talk about it?
It's one thing to say that I think Medicare and its regulation is a twisted system that ultimately hurts this country, especially in its current state. It's quite another to say that I intend to exclude all poor, elderly, and permanently disabled patients from my practice unless they are able to pay cash for my services.

Gerena had argued to the jury that the annual cost of a sign language interpreter amounted to less than a quarter of a percent of Dr. Fogari's yearly income.
This argument is so flawed. If the doctor loses money every time he sees this patient, he (and any other person in their right mind) ought to just not see her! Yes, physicians ought to value what they do more than the money they earn, however forcing physicians to choose between helping people and making money crosses the line!

The Jersey City rheumatologist argued that, as a solo physician, he could not afford the cost, which was estimated at $150 to $200 per visit. The expense was overly burdensome given that Medicare reimbursed only $49 per visit