DR vs. IR lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is IR lifestyle closer to surgery lifestyle?

I was initially leaning towards IR, but then realized I liked open procedures more than minimally invasive on my surgery rotation (but didn't want the surgery lifestyle), so will likely go DR all the way. J/w about IR lifestyle though. Very amazing specialty with cool procedures, but also very busy?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Average IR lifestyle is between average ortho and average gen surg lifestyle. IR is emphatically NOT surgery w/ a lifestyle.

Just like in surgical subspecialties, there are ways to set up a lifestyle friendly practice with a paycut.

There is already a thread that has discussed this in depth in the IR subforum.

Reactions: 1 user
Any specialty that has call will lose points in the lifestyle column.

However, like posters above said, any specialty can be made INTO a lifestyle specialty depending on the practice, types of cases you see, and whether you can get away with doing non emergent cases only.

As a young trainee/attending, you will want to avoid buying too much into the "lifestyle" aspect of specialties. Every specialty can honestly be lifestyle-centric. But you need to earn that privilege.

Unhelpful and unacceptable. I'm leaving this here as an example for others of how NOT to behave.
Is IR lifestyle closer to surgery lifestyle?

I was initially leaning towards IR, but then realized I liked open procedures more than minimally invasive on my surgery rotation (but didn't want the surgery lifestyle), so will likely go DR all the way. J/w about IR lifestyle though. Very amazing specialty with cool procedures, but also very busy?
Not to late to be a dentist

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
These moderators are really sensitive these days.

IR can have a good lifestyle if you're part of an outpatient PP.

Reactions: 1 users
These moderators are really sensitive these days.

IR can have a good lifestyle if you're part of an outpatient PP.

This wasn’t an isolated event. He had been toeing a really fine line for a long while in a lot of ways.

• Okay...
Sounds like a DR residency with ESIR is perfect for you. Many DR residents start residency with an interest in IR, then are drawn away to DR by lifestyle issues. This way, you can experience IR call as a DR resident and decide if it's right for you.

I wouldn't say IR is busier than DR since DR is really busy in itself (present covid situation excepted), but more accurate to say that IR schedule is more unpredictable than DR. Common to stay late past your shift end doing cases, and there's also the obvious factor of getting called in to do a procedure in the middle of the night.

One of my senior IR residents took a 100% IR job with no call and no weekends an hour from a major metropolitan city in NE. Starting salary $500k.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my senior IR residents took a 100% IR job with no call and no weekends an hour from a major metropolitan city in NE. Starting salary $500k.
Wow...

Those can exist in the outpatient office labs, if you are doing a large volume of PAD with atherectomy codes. Most 100 percent hospital jobs will require a decent amount of emergency call.