Drafting an IRB protocol

Started by Valadi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Valadi

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm on scholar leave for a year to finish a masters in clinical research, and my PI suddenly, and unexpectedly, passed away last week. I'm unable to continue my project because we have to reapply for funding under a new PI. In light of this, I've been searching around for mentors to take me in for the next year so that I can have something to complete my masters with.

One PI who is starting a large 5 or 6 year long study investigating ECM mechanical factors that correlate with survival in glioblastoma invited me into his lab with the chief responsibility of drafting his IRB protocol. I have absolutely no experience in this, which is fine, but I am looking to have something tangible to put on my CV after the year is over.

Is authoring an IRB protocol something you can put on a CV, and do residency programs care? Would I be better served doing clinical research and getting a traditional publication?

Thank you for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.
 
Hey guys,

I'm on scholar leave for a year to finish a masters in clinical research, and my PI suddenly, and unexpectedly, passed away last week. I'm unable to continue my project because we have to reapply for funding under a new PI. In light of this, I've been searching around for mentors to take me in for the next year so that I can have something to complete my masters with.

One PI who is starting a large 5 or 6 year long study investigating ECM mechanical factors that correlate with survival in glioblastoma invited me into his lab with the chief responsibility of drafting his IRB protocol. I have absolutely no experience in this, which is fine, but I am looking to have something tangible to put on my CV after the year is over.

Is authoring an IRB protocol something you can put on a CV, and do residency programs care? Would I be better served doing clinical research and getting a traditional publication?

Thank you for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.

I think that going the more 'traditional route' would serve you better, having clinical research experience with a publication will go further. My opinion is that an IRB protocol is but a small part of an overall research project, an aspect that a person (or PI) can get assistance with. Having experience designing experiments, formulating hypotheses, or analyzing data will help you far more in my opinion.