dramamine for path rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shorrin

the ninth doctor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
******ed post i know.

I get really sick when I am looking through a microscope. I mean super nausea!

Any of you have this problem and do you have any remedies?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey shorrin,

Sorry to hear about your nausea at the scope. That stinks.

I am lucky in that I don't get nausea at the scope, but I am very prone to motion sickness so am always taking dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) or meclizine (the non-drowsy type) when I am on long car or plane trips. I recommend trying meclizine since it will give you less drowsiness.

I had a prescription for Reglan for totally unrelated reasons and tried it for motion sickness and it seemed to help quite a bit. So that may be something else to try.

Good luck.

If meclizine works and you are using alot ask a retail pharmacy to order in a 100 ct bottle of generic for you. It should retail at $5-7. It runs about $4 for 8 of the name brand tablets (Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy).

Members don't see this ad :)
shorrin said:
******ed post i know.

I get really sick when I am looking through a microscope. I mean super nausea!

Any of you have this problem and do you have any remedies?

Try to work through it without medications first. Eventually your body will adjust. I had this problem but now I'm fine.

bananaface said:
If meclizine works and you are using alot ask a retail pharmacy to order in a 100 ct bottle of generic for you. It should retail at $5-7. It runs about $4 for 8 of the name brand tablets (Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy).
Oh c'mon. This doesn't address the underlying issue here.

People do get motion sickness when sitting in on signout with an attending who moves through slides very fast. I did. And it passed.

thanks everyone!!! I'll give a go for a few days and see how it works out sans meds. Then I'll hit the good stuff.

I get the same problem when I play first person shooters as well. I no longer have the pleasure of kicking my bf's ass in counter strike. Perhaps the drugs will help with that too. ;)

I appreciate that you guys say that you got over it but I had this problem for a whole year of Histo and a year of path... it never seems to get better. Maybe contact lens would be better than glasses?

At any rate I appreciate all your help...this path forum really stocks together :)

Andy's right, there are just some attendings who move things in crazy directions and speeds. I probably do it too, but if I am looking at the slide I am in control, so it doesn't seem so bizarre. You do get used to it. I wouldn't recommend trying to control it with dramamine.

Andy's right, there are just some attendings who move things in crazy directions and speeds. I probably do it too, but if I am looking at the slide I am in control, so it doesn't seem so bizarre. You do get used to it. I wouldn't recommend trying to control it with dramamine.

I don't get nauseated, I get really sleepy when someone is driving the scope too fast. Then I spend all my time trying to control my yawning.

The only thing I can think to add is that I was once told by a path attending that she always "focused far" when scoping. She would look out the window before looking down her eyepieces.

This path attending also had the habit of moving her slides very quickly in the bizarrest directions when scanning them, so it was probably just as well she found a way to counteract the (?self-induced) car-sickness... :)

I think once you get your own scope and can adjust it to your own liking, it isn't such a pain.