Dreaded OKAPs Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDA DDOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OKAPs are done. In interest of generating some direction for next years PGY-1s... My OKAP score was significantly overpredicted by Ophthoquestions. Obviously this can't be the case for everyone. But did any other first years feel that Ophthoquestions performed poorly at predicting percentiles. I did not think Ophthoquestions difficulty was at all reflective of actual OKAPs. I'm considering switching question banks for next year. Any seniors have any thoughts. Is it me ; ophthoquestions or both.
Discuss

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt the same. I actually did the best on sections for which I read the BCSC. Shocking. Ultimately I think reading with good attention - maybe note taking or quizzing/active learning - is very important. Otherwise, 30 pages go by and you have no idea what you just read. Then a few months of questions along with memorizAtion of notes/review book is needed. I found it impossible to read my review book without the background foundation of the BCSC... Maybe others are different.

I think for your average resident a lot of hard work and active reading/learning with BCSC/kanski is just necessary. I'm sure many people are brighter than me, but I realize I just need to put it more productive and active hours of studying. I can't just q-bank it.

OQ under predicted my score vastly by 40%! Then again, this is my third time taking the OKAP. I really do think the BCSC books are important, but a good review book helps too. For all the 1's, don't worry too much about scores, because after a full year, you will feel much more knowledgable and smarter!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who thought OQ was off think about how you used it.

1)did you do the questions section by section as you completed or were in the process of reading the same section?
2)did you take the quizzes in a test-like manner, eg not on tutor mode and in blocks of 100 or so?
3)did you cheat yourself by looking up some answers?

Just rhetorical but those are a few of the ways I've heard people using that Product

I think ophthoquestions is great but only if taken in tutor mode and taken in one particular section at a time. For example a 50 question test in study mode on cornea.... That way you are actually learning from it. It underestimated by score by 20-30%.