-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dream Med School and why?
Started by DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Why is this forum always dead?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OSU because I would have so much support there as well as it being super close to my learning style and NYU because of the ridiculously amazing location, opportunities and patient population lol.
Why is this forum always dead?
This forum is dead, I'd guess, because from the get go there are a low amount of URM applying to medical school. As a result, there isn't much action in the URM forums. Since there's a lot more ORMs than URMs, by definition, then general forum has a lot more posting.
To stick to the OP's request, for my dream school [selection] a major selling point was research. I wanted to go somewhere with a lot of cardiology research — hence as a second year I've now done two cardiology projects. Not to discount location, location is super important, I wanted to live in a "pretty" city. However, I wanted to be at a school/city where we'd see low income patients. I got everything I wanted.
Right now my dream schools are Morehouse and Wake Forest. I'm tired of living in the flatlands (Midwest) in a small city, and I'm excited for the warmer weather. Morehouse specifically seems like a good fit for me given the close-knit community, vibrant city, large and diverse hospital, and excellent student support. I don't know nearly as much about Wake Forest yet but I've always loved North Carolina for its geographical diversity!
My dream school is Emory, because of there amazing opportunities, city, and patient population. Hopefully I will get an interview there!!
U.Miami. Location - specifically just the weather (allure of south beach is been there, done that, multiple t-shirts), the students seem really close-knit and chill but hardworking. Jackson Memorial is an amazing place to train due to strong underserved population. Hoping to get "acceptance" love sometime here soon.
I have so many dream schools but I really love the University of Michigan, Duke, and Emory!
I have so many dream schools but I really love the University of Michigan, Duke, and Emory!
Emory sent me an email today saying that they just received my MCAT score and I'm cleared to receive their secondary....like I was gonna waste $100+ to apply to them this late in the cycle...pffftt
Lol, I have no idea how that stuff works since I'm applying next cycle but it sounds like you made the right choice if they're just now sending you an email and its already late. I hope this cycle is going well for you 🙂Emory sent me an email today saying that they just received my MCAT score and I'm cleared to receive their secondary....like I was gonna waste $100+ to apply to them this late in the cycle...pffftt
My dream Med Schools are Stanford and Harvard (typical, right?)
For Stanford, its the research history and potential, as well as the location (I'm honestly tired of the MidWest and after being here for 19 years I need to get out)
For Harvard part of it is the prestige, part of it has to do with their affiliation hospitals Brigham and Women/Beth Israel, and part of it is the tradition of excellence that the school has set.
For Stanford, its the research history and potential, as well as the location (I'm honestly tired of the MidWest and after being here for 19 years I need to get out)
For Harvard part of it is the prestige, part of it has to do with their affiliation hospitals Brigham and Women/Beth Israel, and part of it is the tradition of excellence that the school has set.
I'm still not sure, but I have legacy with Johns Hopkins, and I've been impressed with their reputation since I was a child. I'm deeply grateful to them, and they have a great program for neuroscience. We'll see if I add a few more schools to the list. Right now I'm just busy trying to find a school to apply to for my undergrad lol.
How did you guys pick your dream schools?
How did you guys pick your dream schools?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Columbia. 🙂
JHU for me.
Reasons from childhood dream in another country learning about it. Role models attending there, current geographic location means I won't need to take my kids out of school and be close to a support system, great program for neuro, and of course reputation.
Reasons from childhood dream in another country learning about it. Role models attending there, current geographic location means I won't need to take my kids out of school and be close to a support system, great program for neuro, and of course reputation.
NYMC for me... they believed in me enough to give me a chance and I'm not wasting that opportunity so far. I love it here and I'm eternally grateful to them. #EndBiasedRant
btw I loved your story
btw I loved your story
haha thank you 👍 med school has been difficult, yet extremely rewarding thus far. I just hope to continue to do well. I certainly feel like I have something to prove, and I intend on proving it.
My dream school was Drew/UCLA ever since I was a little girl growing up in South LA, and I'm really grateful to be apart of their program. It is a unique experience where you essentially get the best of both worlds: access to UCLA's strong hospital network and faculty, as well as the tools needed to provide care to an underserved population that is near and dear to my heart.
Y'all actually call it South LA?! What happened to South Central?!My dream school was Drew/UCLA ever since I was a little girl growing up in South LA, and I'm really grateful to be apart of their program. It is a unique experience where you essentially get the best of both worlds: access to UCLA's strong hospital network and faculty, as well as the tools needed to provide care to an underserved population that is near and dear to my heart.
Y'all actually call it South LA?! What happened to South Central?!
Same thing that happened to Harlem when it became Washington Heights. Folks out here still refer to it as South Central, but if your writing papers etc. the proper term is South LA.
BU. BU was my first experience with college. It is an amazing school. And it is close to home.
However, at this point, that'd require a small miracle.
Columbia; for the same reason.
It was my first experience with college... ever. The campus is amazing to me. I felt at home and I wish I could have gone there for undergrad.
However, now I'll be excited if any med school accepts me when the time comes

Harlem is still Harlem though.Same thing that happened to Harlem when it became Washington Heights. Folks out here still refer to it as South Central, but if your writing papers etc. the proper term is South LA.
Wash Heights is north of Harlem, although some may differ on the precise borders. And this applies to just about every neighborhood in Manhattan.
Anyway, I'll always call it South Central
And of course, I'm jealous that you get to call LA home 🙂
Last edited:
Harlem is still Harlem though.
View attachment 199520
Wash Heights is north of Harlem, although some may differ on the precise borders. And this applies to just about every neighborhood in Manhattan.
Anyway, I'll always call it South Central
View attachment 199517
And of course, I'm jealous that you get to call LA home 🙂
Guess I was wrong! 🙁 Don't be jealous! I definitely grew up on the rougher side of town, but I am proud of my neighborhood nonetheless.
This is a pretty good article about what's happening out here with the naming etc. http://intersectionssouthla.org/story/south-la-vs-south-central-whats-in-a-name/
It's short and brief!
I am new to this site, but I like the feedback. I am a nontraditional URM. I do not have a dream school, but there are schools I will definenetly apply to and some that may be long shots. East Carolina' s Brody School of Medicine and UNC-Chapel Hill are two I'll certainly apply to. I may also put an app in at Campbell Osteopathic, Johns Hopkins, and Duke. I am along way from applying, but these are the schools I currently have in mind.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 338
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 193
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K