Dreams..Shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vascsurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a sophmore biology major. I want to go to medical with all my heart! Here is a profile

First Semester:
Gen Bio - C+
Gen Chem - B-
Econ - C-
English: C
GPA = 2.2

Second Semester:
Gen Bio - A-
Gen Chem - B
Calculus - A
Religion - B+
Nutrition: A- Total GPA 1st year = 2.93

Third Semster
Zoology - B
Organic - A
French - B
Psychology - B Total GPA (all 3 semesters) = 3.05

Currently Fourth Semester Probable Grades
Organic - B+
Embryology - A-
French 2 - B+
Nuclear Physics - A End of 2nd Year GPA = 3.16 - probably

I am currently involved in organic synthesis research, but i am stopping that after this semester and start biology research with prof this summer and continue for the my time at this university. I have done 25hrs of shadowing, inducted into BBB (Bio honors), active in Rotary Club, Gave speeches to rotary in India about the US, planning to volunteer in a hospital in India for 1month, Elite speaker on Toast Masters Club, Member of Emergency Medical Team on campus, and planning to TA organic next semester.

What are my chances and what should i do to make myself more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You better start getting a 4.0 every semester from now on. With your current GPA, you're screwed

all those EC's wont mean diddly squat unless you try harder and get that gpa up

My advice is to do well in and take more easier classes. Get A's in religion, french and english. Why are you taking nuclear physics and embryology? Take your hard bio courses after you apply (senior year).

If you get a 4.0 for the four semesters of your junior and senior year, your GPA could be up to a 3.58. With a good MCAT score you could get an allopathic acceptance. But based on your academic record I don't have much confidence you could pull off perfect grades. If you want to be more competitive, you should decrease the distractions of your extracurriculars and concentrate on studying. You can always add the necessary experiences later.

You better start getting a 4.0 every semester from now on. With your current GPA, you're screwed

I agree with the other posters. Unless you're URM and come from an ivy school, it's highly improbable to get into any U.S. allo med school with those numbers. So concentrate on raising both your cGPA and sGPA for the remainder of your premed years before you apply. A good thing about your GPA is that you are showing an upwards trend.