Dress code for pharmacy interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pintobeans

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm going to start my internship at Walgreens next week and was wondering what would be the most appropriate dress code for an intern. For those currently working at walgreens, what do you usually wear at work? Do they also provide a coat or should we bring our own? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

For rotations in general:

Gentelmen: Never go anywhere without a necktie. No sneakers. Clean haircut. Facial hair well groomed and trimmed.

Ladies: Skirts at knee length or at the very least longer than your white coat. Long Hair pulled back. No excessive make-up.

Keep the lab coat white and pressed.

I work at Walgreen's, and generally, anything is fine except T-shirts, jeans, and sweatshirts. Just wear khaki's or dress pants and a nice shirt or sweater. Like the above poster said, men are supposed to wear ties. When I was hired, the store manager told me that any shoes are fine except white tennis shoes (black tennis shoes are ok), high heels, and open-toed shoes. They will provide a coat or vest for you, and if they don't have your size, they will order one. My friend always wore her own coat from her school, so if you have your own, you can wear it if you want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Business casual is the norm. Ties are not necessary. However, a nice, unwrinkled dress shirt, tie, slacks and whatnot will always get you compliments about being professional. Personally, I think professionalism is earned, not worn; but that's another can of worms. If you're a girl, nothing too hoochie-mama; cleavage will get you places in certain careers, but in pharmacy, customers will hit on you and/or everyone will think you're a *****.

As far as white coats go, don't bother in a hospital unless you're on rotations. Too many attendings and aspiring med students will keep checking you out to see what service you are, only to realize that you're pharmacy and thus, a nobody...or patients will think you're a doctor. In retail, they'll usually provide you with one, but if you have a school one with a logo, thats still alright.

Once you start working there long enough, you'll get a feel of what to wear/what not to wear, along with when. For example, on holidays, a hoodie and scrubs are sufficient for me, since admin isn't there and things are a lot more relaxed/slow.

Business casual is the norm. Ties are not necessary. However, a nice, unwrinkled dress shirt, tie, slacks and whatnot will always get you compliments about being professional. Personally, I think professionalism is earned, not worn; but that's another can of worms. If you're a girl, nothing too hoochie-mama; cleavage will get you places in certain careers, but in pharmacy, customers will hit on you and/or everyone will think you're a *****.

As far as white coats go, don't bother in a hospital unless you're on rotations. Too many attendings and aspiring med students will keep checking you out to see what service you are, only to realize that you're pharmacy and thus, a nobody...or patients will think you're a doctor. In retail, they'll usually provide you with one, but if you have a school one with a logo, thats still alright.

Once you start working there long enough, you'll get a feel of what to wear/what not to wear, along with when. For example, on holidays, a hoodie and scrubs are sufficient for me, since admin isn't there and things are a lot more relaxed/slow.
be professional at all times.

be professional at all times.

My students are required at all times to wear a clean pressed white lab coat. Men are required to wear neck ties when on rounds. With respect to being "checked out by interns and attendings," I disagree with the poster. In the last seven years, each time I wore the white coat (long as a graduate or short as a student) I have NEVER been looked down upon or devalued. Those who did not wear a white coat and/or necktie were devaluved and asked to leave. Over this time period, I have been in three major teaching hopsitals and each is recognized by the public as "the best" in that particular city. Professionalism goes a long way. Just wear the necktie and white coat. If a student of mine does not own a neck tie, I'll loan them five of my own for the rotation.

My students are required at all times to wear a clean pressed white lab coat. Men are required to wear neck ties when on rounds. With respect to being "checked out by interns and attendings," I disagree with the poster. In the last seven years, each time I wore the white coat (long as a graduate or short as a student) I have NEVER been looked down upon or devalued. Those who did not wear a white coat and/or necktie were devaluved and asked to leave. Over this time period, I have been in three major teaching hopsitals and each is recognized by the public as "the best" in that particular city. Professionalism goes a long way. Just wear the necktie and white coat. If a student of mine does not own a neck tie, I'll loan them five of my own for the rotation.

OK - you work in a very formal environment.

I've been a pharmacist for a long time...and I precept both in hospital (the ICU/OR) & retail.

For a hospital...I don't care what you wear - most fellows dont' want to wear a white coat - they carry their stuff in their pockets. Ties are not required - for employees or students and are rarely worn - even by the dop, unless there is a meeting which is on the more formal end. For women - a white coat is nice (mine is hip length - not long nor short) because the stuff I have to carry either won't fit in my pockets, will ruin my pockets or I don't have pockets. The stuff I have to carry - pager, pens, loose ud drugs, keys, cell phone, coffee money, lipstick. Now...in the OR - you're in scrubs - so its a moot point.

For retail....you wear what employees are expected to wear. Some retail environments require white shirts & ties..others, business casual. Just ask when you either are at your interview or are setting up your first day of work, or if not addressed at that time....on your first day of work.

Generally.....no jeans, bare midriffs, frayed edges, excessive jewelry, "inappropriately cut" anything - from blouses to slacks. Also, closed toe shoes - no sandals. I wear heels, but will also wear low heeled shoes if wearing slacks.

I don't know where you get off with the mid-knee length skirts????? I personally find that dowdy. I usually wear skirts just above my knee (as Zpak can attest - I've got great legs!!), but other female colleagues wear longer skirts - mid calf. If my dop even started a discussion on the length of my skirt, he & I would be in the personnel office faster than he could blink.

I have NEVER known anyone be asked to leave a place of employment for lack of a white coat.....but I'm in N CA - a bit liberal for some.

Bottom line - professional - which comes in many forms. But....again - I'm in CA.

I work in a hospital. when I first started I tended to go business casual and kept the white coat because I love pockets and women's dress pants lack usable pockets.

now I wear scrubs. usually scrub pants and a tshirt or long sleeved t shirt (solid color) and sometimes a sweatshirt over that when it's damn cold (just a dark blue hoodie with my undergrad name on it). I've started working on the floors some and just for a change of pace sometimes I'll go business casual again but the lack of pockets is a PIA.

I will allow my students wear scrubs and a white coat and an ID.

More important than the professional attire are the attitude and preparation you wear on the sleeve. Come prepared and participate. Screw wearing ties... I only wear it for big meetings.

I will allow my students wear scrubs and a white coat and an ID.

More important than the professional attire are the attitude and preparation you wear on the sleeve. Come prepared and participate. Screw wearing ties... I only wear it for big meetings.

On the floor and in rounding situations, neck wear and a clean pressed lab coat are requirementsfor my rotation. Dress and attitude are in my overall professionalism grade.

On the floor and in rounding situations, neck wear and a clean pressed lab coat are requirementsfor my rotation. Dress and attitude are in my overall professionalism grade.

Mel ..is that you? [/usc rx joke]

I would flunk your class... Rho Chi or not.

Mel ..is that you? [/usc rx joke]

I would flunk your class... Rho Chi or not.

Must be some "inside" USC joke???:confused:

Has to do with ties - are they hanging on the doornobs or around their necks????

Think about it - white coat & a tie???? What a look:eek:

Caverject??????

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing dress shirts and ties, as well as a white coat (i'm addicted to the pockets), but if you're on an internship where all you do is crap like counting by 5 or restocking a pyxis...yeah, don't need to get *that* dressed up for it unless you really really want to. Not to mention your white coat gets dirty as crap.

Rotations are a whole nother thing, and I can't think of why you wouldn't wear a white coat, short of wanting a bad grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Pinto:

I currently work at Walgreens (as a technician), and the dress code for males is to wear a tie everyday. You can wear slacks or khakis, I guess. The two guys I work with usually wear khakis. Their shirts aren't really formal button ups, but casual/business-y + tie.

For women, you cannot wear open-toed shoes/flip-flops, no tank-tops/sleeveless shirts, no low-cut shirts, etc. I usually wear a button up, slacks, and high-heel boots.

For everyone, no denim, no t-shirts, wear a solid colored shoe (all white or all black, or brown, whatever), and some others. Basically their dress code is professional attire at all times.

Walgreens will/should provide you with two coats. If you are a technician, you get a white vest, and the pharmacists wear the short-sleeve lab coat. I started out wearing a blue vest (regular cashier employees) for a good 2 months before the order for my white vest came in....I really don't know why it took so long.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Good luck :)

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing dress shirts and ties, as well as a white coat (i'm addicted to the pockets), but if you're on an internship where all you do is crap like counting by 5 or restocking a pyxis...yeah, don't need to get *that* dressed up for it unless you really really want to. Not to mention your white coat gets dirty as crap.

Rotations are a whole nother thing, and I can't think of why you wouldn't wear a white coat, short of wanting a bad grade.

what he said. I'm talking internship as in job, rotations as in school are another ball game.

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing dress shirts and ties, as well as a white coat (i'm addicted to the pockets), but if you're on an internship where all you do is crap like counting by 5

At UF we learn to count by 7...makes the day go by faster.

my main tech counts by TWO...but she is faster than me and everyone else in the pharmacy.

it is always better to dress professional but on weekends i just wear my sweat pants (black color only), casual top with white coat (no one can really see what's on the inside, i meant girls cause we dont wear a tie).
BUT, i would prefer all my interns to look professional at all time :D

Wear what the store manager insists on.

Some managers are cool w/ sneakers and such.

Others want you pimped out.

And some just want to pimp you out.

lab coats are kinda necessary to look professional in the health field.

for guys, always wear a dress shirt and tie underneath the lab coat.
i had a true experience in retail that I will never forget. I was wearing a regular t-shirt with no tie underneath my lab coat one day when the corporate people were visiting. My district manager came over to me and gave me a lecture I will never forget. From then on, I always wear a dress shirt and tie underneath my lab coat.

for girls, they get more freedom in choosing what they want to wear than men, unfair may that be.

completely unfair that men have to/are expected to wear ties...
my husband and i [both pharmacists on evening shift..2 different hospitals] dress completely differently...he wears a dress shirt and tie everyday...i go for dark jeans and a sweater....then again, i barely have time to leave my seat[where i am pounding out orders all night long]...

we both hate white coats unless you're on the floor [pockets, pockets, pockets]...down in the trenches of the hospital basement, you're just putting on airs...

what comes out of anyone's mouth is more important than what's covering their bodies....:)

completely unfair that men have to/are expected to wear ties...
my husband and i [both pharmacists on evening shift..2 different hospitals] dress completely differently...he wears a dress shirt and tie everyday...i go for dark jeans and a sweater....then again, i barely have time to leave my seat[where i am pounding out orders all night long]...

we both hate white coats unless you're on the floor [pockets, pockets, pockets]...down in the trenches of the hospital basement, you're just putting on airs...

what comes out of anyone's mouth is more important than what's covering their bodies....:)

My rotation is hospital in patient critical care. The student is based in the CCU. Men are expected to wear dress shirts and ties with a clean pressed white lab coat. Females must have skirts longer than their lab coat and conservative with their necklines. Interacting with healthcare professionals in that environment requires a certain level of decourm and professionalism.

In the basement, scrubs are totally acceptable since the RP may have to be making IV, etc. There, if the pharmacist needs to go to the floor, a white coat over the scrubs is absolutely essential, in my opinion. It separates the clinicians from the nurses aide or the equipment technicians.

was wearing a regular t-shirt with no tie underneath my lab coat one day when the corporate people were visiting. My district manager came over to me and gave me a lecture I will never forget. From then on, I always wear a dress shirt and tie underneath my lab coat.

Why do you always wear it now? It's just a DM, all they like to do is give lectures. At my retail intern job, I wear dress pants and a shirt. Very Rarely do I wear a tie and never a lab coat. Always a name tag though. Maybe when Im actually a pharmacist I might wear tie and coat but I dont know. Oh yeah, I wear hiking shoes too casue I need my support

a white coat over the scrubs is absolutely essential, in my opinion. It separates the clinicians from the nurses aide or the equipment technicians.

not when everyone, from the secretaries to the respiratory therapists to the students to the patient care techs...well, you get my drift...wears one

My rotation is hospital in patient critical care. The student is based in the CCU. Men are expected to wear dress shirts and ties with a clean pressed white lab coat. Females must have skirts longer than their lab coat and conservative with their necklines. Interacting with healthcare professionals in that environment requires a certain level of decourm and professionalism.

In the basement, scrubs are totally acceptable since the RP may have to be making IV, etc. There, if the pharmacist needs to go to the floor, a white coat over the scrubs is absolutely essential, in my opinion. It separates the clinicians from the nurses aide or the equipment technicians.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: When I'm in the ICU - I'm the only one in a white coat - everyone else is in scrubs. Unless you know who everyone is - you don't know the nurses from the MD's from the RT's & none of them are wearing a coat over their scrubs.

But - again....I'm in CA. As you pointed out in a different thread...its important to be tolerant of other's opinions & circumstances.

I don't think you are intending to be judgmental against those of us who do not measure up to your own concept of what a pharmacist should wear to appear professional, but your comments seem to be so. Although it is your opinion & is perfectly valid....it is not what my own & others experience is. I am very professional & very respected & definitely not by my clothing.

I would appreciate your tolerance & respect that pharmacists have for each other. It is apparent there are many, many different clothing styles which are accepted and acceptable.

Always a name tag though

in NY, that is required by law. not a white coat, a tie, or any of the other "professional" garb.

I wore my navy blue scrubs with white t-shirt underneath today. Then I put on my cotton warmup jacket with a hood..it's been chilly here.

I went to 4 different meetings wearing it... I don't think there was any question who I was...:smuggrin: Then again, I must not be very professional..

I wore my navy blue scrubs with white t-shirt underneath today. Then I put on my cotton warmup jacket with a hood..it's been chilly here.

I went to 4 different meetings wearing it... I don't think there was any question who I was...:smuggrin: Then again, I must not be very professional..

Well......you are LEAVING that job - right????;)

Tell me...as a "consultant" will you have to wear a necktie, or as my husband calls them - a "noose"? But...what do dentists know??? He doesn't wear a necktie - must not be very professional:cool: .

Well......you are LEAVING that job - right????;)

Tell me...as a "consultant" will you have to wear a necktie, or as my husband calls them - a "noose"? But...what do dentists know??? He doesn't wear a necktie - must not be very professional:cool: .

business casual and jeans on Friday at the new job. The selling point was that the new employer front loads 4 weeks vacation and observes every federal holiday. Found out by an accident... I told them..."I'll call you on Monday..." they said.."Oh..we won't be here.. it's MLK holiday."

I might put on a tie when I go visit the clients..on first day. 2nd day...it may be the polo shirt with company logo and slacks.. but I'll put on nice shoes. I like shoes.

It separates the clinicians from the nurses aide or the equipment technicians.

good lord...:sleep:

business casual and jeans on Friday at the new job. The selling point was that the new employer front loads 4 weeks vacation and observes every federal holiday. Found out by an accident... I told them..."I'll call you on Monday..." they said.."Oh..we won't be here.. it's MLK holiday."

I might put on a tie when I go visit the clients..on first day. 2nd day...it may be the polo shirt with company logo and slacks.. but I'll put on nice shoes. I like shoes.

I like shoes too - but...I think we have different "tastes". Great shoes with heels go with skirts.

But...if I worked the night shift, pounding out orders like tussionex - I'd do casual too!

I like shoes too - but...I think we have different "tastes". Great shoes with heels go with skirts.

But...if I worked the night shift, pounding out orders like tussionex - I'd do casual too!

I worked the evening shift last night till 10:00 pm. I wore my tennis shoes. My pharmacist complained they stunk. I think she was right.

So I get an order from ER

Levaquin 250m IVPB q24h & Primaxin 1 gram IVPB Q8h.

On a 87 year old female.

Called him up..."dude...what are you doing.. you renal dose Levaquin and order $180 worth of daily Primaxin?" He says.."Oh... sorry... how are we suppose to does it?" I said.."You trying to treat ESBL E Coli or something..?"

He said.."I don't know.. the ID told me Primaxin was a good drug..." I said..."not for this patient.." He said..."Ok..D/C it..." I said..."I'm coming to see you tomorrow...to learn you this stuff..."

I understand professionalism (I had to dress that way as well), but what about the role of neckties in spreading infection, especially in critical care areas?
it "requires" a certain level of decorum and professionalism according to you, but everyone on the floors in my hospital wears scrubs. they might wear a white coat if they are cold.
I would think scrubs would be more professional and responsible - ie students change from their "professional dress" into scrubs before rounds/chart review/patient contact, and change back before they leave.

I did 5 week rotation in ICU/CCU. I was the ONLY person to wear tie/white coat. All residents, med students, pulmonary, ID, fellows, and attendings wore scrubs. No, I didn't feel "professional".

There, if the pharmacist needs to go to the floor, a white coat over the scrubs is absolutely essential, in my opinion. It separates the clinicians from the nurses aide or the equipment technicians.

Haha.

I don't feel the need to "separate" myself. I wear a name tag.
I don't care who people think I am, if I need to do business with them, they know who I am.

I worked the evening shift last night till 10:00 pm. I wore my tennis shoes. My pharmacist complained they stunk. I think she was right.

i may dress casually, but i always wear awesome shoes!
:)

Yup, thats why I always wear one!

Is that all????? Great shoes go with nametags;) !

Unless you work the night shift - you may need a hoodie to go with the shoes.....

i may dress casually, but i always wear awesome shoes!
:)

Great shoes are every woman's best friend - forget the dog!

Where are you? There are some beautiful boots - but I can't wear so many of them - I have a high arch. Boots look great with casual....

Ha. One of the ICU pharmacists I work with has been wearing the white coat, stylish clothes, and knee high boots with the siletto heel thing. While MDs have to dress up, and RNs are restricted to scrubs, pharmacy always keeps it somewhat stylish/casual. Maybe that's why acting professional is more important to me than looking it.

Since we're talking about hot fashion, the one look I completely abhor is the OR scrub dress with teds and nursing clogs/crocs. It's basically the frumpiest old-person outfit that I've seen. And what the med students in the other forums like to call the ER mullet...the scrub top, tucked into khaki dress pants. It just looks SO DORKY.

Always a name tag though

in NY, that is required by law. not a white coat, a tie, or any of the other "professional" garb.

That's funny, in my state interns are required to wear the [insert name here, pharmacy intern] nametag. It's different in retail, but in my hospital, I just get scolded for redundancy because my name is on 3 different parts of my body (white coat, hospital ID, nametag).

And does anyone have any tips on how to keep a white coat actually looking clean? I rarely have time to do qoweek whites...it's more like qmonth. And even after I wash it, by week 1, the sleeve edges get all nasty, it looks like I got in a fight with my coffee, and I can't imagine how anyone can think I look remotely professional.

Ha. One of the ICU pharmacists I work with has been wearing the white coat, stylish clothes, and knee high boots with the siletto heel thing. While MDs have to dress up, and RNs are restricted to scrubs, pharmacy always keeps it somewhat stylish/casual. Maybe that's why acting professional is more important to me than looking it.

Since we're talking about hot fashion, the one look I completely abhor is the OR scrub dress with teds and nursing clogs/crocs. It's basically the frumpiest old-person outfit that I've seen. And what the med students in the other forums like to call the ER mullet...the scrub top, tucked into khaki dress pants. It just looks SO DORKY.

That's funny, in my state interns are required to wear the [insert name here, pharmacy intern] nametag. It's different in retail, but in my hospital, I just get scolded for redundancy because my name is on 3 different parts of my body (white coat, hospital ID, nametag).

And does anyone have any tips on how to keep a white coat actually looking clean? I rarely have time to do qoweek whites...it's more like qmonth. And even after I wash it, by week 1, the sleeve edges get all nasty, it looks like I got in a fight with my coffee, and I can't imagine how anyone can think I look remotely professional.

Andy......tip here - 3 coats!!!! And...wash whites weekly, really hot water with extra soap on the sleeves. Then....iron when you get a chance, but rotate them.

I take mine to the laundry to be done so they get extra starch & really hot ironing, but I also will wash them myself at times so they get really, really clean.

But...they only have so much life. When they're done - they're done. Buy new (when you finally get a pharmacist income & can afford it:D !).

At school sanctioned roataions we need a name tag thats says pharmacy intern and our school name. When im at my retail job, it just has my name

this post is useless without pictures.

JenJim199.jpg

a sampling of shoes found on the pharmacists from my hospitals...well, not so much the flip-flips...

My feet are allergic to high heels.

sorry to have mislead you....the photo was at my wedding; but the shoes have all been worn in the pharmacy as well...

wooden floors...i wish....:rolleyes:

sorry to have mislead you....the photo was at my wedding; but the shoes have all been worn in the pharmacy as well...

wooden floors...i wish....:rolleyes:
:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

someone needs a tan... :D