dress code for pre-interview dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeball01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are you suppose to wear to the dinners some programs have with residents that are the night before interviews ?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the program coordinator, but you can't really go wrong with business casual. Shorts and flip-flops are definitely and out.

More than likely, the residents will take you somewhere casual-ish, so an additional set of appropriate clothes would be a good idea. I went on a bunch of interviews and have since taken several candidates out the night before interviews and always felt bad for the people who wound up having to eat pizza and drink beer in a suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on where you are interviewing.

East Coast (ny or boston)
JPG-Dandy-Mania-montage-3-112307_L.jpg

West Coast
Black+Flag.jpg

Midwest
I%20Banker.jpg

South
Jeff+Burton_08_NASCAR.jpg

Last edited:
If they didn't tell me until I got there where we were eating (or I had no idea what the restaurant was like), I just tried to find something that would look okay regardless of how casual or formal the setting. I think I typically did nice jeans/corduroys/chinos with a sweater or other semi-casual shirt (i.e. not a plain T-shirt or sweatshirt, but also not business/office wear). I would recommend guys wear something in that range - nice jeans/chinos with a polo, button down, or sweater. If you know ahead of time that you're going to a burger joint or a bar or something, even more casual clothes would work too.

As previous posters have mentioned, you just want to fit in. You don't want to be "that overdressed guy" having onion rings in a suit. I would think that being under-dressed would be less of a problem, as I suspect most candidates would know not to dress like a total scuzbag.

pathstudent - I chuckled (especially for the buzz cut on the "midwest" guy), but you forgot to represent the west coast in your stereotypes

245060_0_49

"Pacific Northwest"

Surfer%2BDude.jpg

Cali

The plaid shirt and surfboard are essential accessories!

Texas

texas-cowboy.jpg

well, or this....

Montana%20photo.JPG

Definitely go for nice casual. Path people tend to more laid back in general, but just to make a good impression I'd throw on a good-quality polo and some khakis or nice jeans or something.

If it was the program directors you might want to be a little more formal - but with the residents, the biggest thing they are evaluating you on is if they can work with you - are you friendly, enthusiastic, etc.

Being overly uptight or formal will hurt you. Sure, your stats come into play to, but really it's about "Can I stand working with this person for xyz years." Within the last couple years at my institution, the residents once actually got together and "vetoed" one of the director's first choices because they could not stand working with the person due to his/her posturing attitude, despite the person's amazing stats.

Last edited:
pathstudent - I chuckled (especially for the buzz cut on the "midwest" guy), but you forgot to represent the west coast in your stereotypes

245060_0_49

"Pacific Northwest"

Surfer%2BDude.jpg

Cali

The plaid shirt and surfboard are essential accessories!

I thought punk rock surfer dudes were a good choice but I wouldn't argue with swim trunks and a skateboard. For the NW I would recommend a flannel or lots of north face/columbia sportswear.

For the ladies.

NY
mar09nyfl1_lg.jpg

So Cal
legallyblonde460.jpg

Midwest
Sarah-Palin.jpg

South
Danica_Patrick_120073artw.jpg

Dallas
jessica_simpson_300x400.jpg

San Francisco (sort of like NY but more of a ******ed self-style)
hipster-mission-girls.jpg

NW
women_hiking.jpg

Last edited:
Are pre-interview dinners common these days? I know they have them for IM because they tend to have people come in large groups. I interviewed at 10-12 programs, & none of them had a pre-interview dinner.

I agree w/ the non-comical posters, though I enjoyed the comical ones. (I'm not entirely sure why Palin got associated w/ the Midwest.) Personally, I don't think being overdressed should be a problem. You (the interviewee) is the one who's trying to impress them.

----- Antony

I agree w/ the non-comical posters, though I enjoyed the comical ones. (I'm not entirely sure why Palin got associated w/ the Midwest.)

----- Antony

Because that's the heartland, you know, real america! Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, where people are still white and real americans, not like those fake americans in the city slicker cities like NY and LA.

Yeah, them dadgum foreigners.

I think I went to at least a couple pre-interview dinners. Maybe 1 or 2 more post-interview dinners too? I recall interviewing with anywhere from 0 to maybe 3 others on my days, so it was never particularly busy. They told me up front whether an attending would be there, which I think only happened once. I wore non-black slacks, a button up, tie, but rolled-up sleeves. In all cases I loosened the tie pretty quick, as it became clear it was a casual dinner just to relax and get to know people. Unless they tell you you're going to paintball, something in the realm of smart-casual is what I would recommend.

I lean towards overdressing, then changing my composure to meet the setting. You can always kick back and relax in a suit, pull off the coat & tie, etc., but it's hard to put up a classy professional aura in shorts and sandals. As clothing goes, the only 2 times I remember people commenting negatively were about one chap who couldn't thread his belt (also couldn't hold a conversation -- great numbers, subzero social skillz) and another who showed up in jeans and tennis shoes or somesuch (but had some excuse about his suit -- despite this he ended up matching with the program and was joked about it mercilessly, so the story may have inflated with time; I think the last time I heard it, he supposedly was wearing a dirty wifebeater).

True, but that's so much less fun for us. And fewer pictures that way. Besides, if we get just one person to ride up to dinner shirtless on horseback, it will have been worth it.

True, but that's so much less fun for us. And fewer pictures that way. Besides, if we get just one person to ride up to dinner shirtless on horseback, it will have been worth it.

Look at your candidate.
Now back to me.

Much more important than what you wear is getting along and not coming off as arrogant or a douchebag (i.e. drink appropriately; don't get drunk; don't come off like a prude either; engage with others at your table; etc;etc). Nobody is being the fashion police at these things. They are all pathologists after all.