Dress Code @ LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me what the dress code at LECOM is? I've tried to find it on-line with no luck. Any Takers?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi again Docgeorge,

The dress code is as follows:

Males: shirt and tie
Females: professional dress, typically skirt/slacks(mostly slacks)

Now, the females in the class definitely have the dress code easier than the males. The females of the class seem to get away with wearing a lot less professional dress than males (it's easy to notice a guy not wearing a tie).

The dress code is in effect from 8am to 4:30pm. After that, you can come into the school in whatever clothes you want. We change for both OMM and for gross lab, and then change back for class.

A lot of people will complain about the dress code, but I like it. When you see an auditorium full of well-dressed people, it really says something about the students and the school. Granted, it's not all that comfortable for sitting in long lectures, there are always drawbacks to things.

njdo

Don't you guys get to wear scrubs as an alternative?

Members don't see this ad :)
No scrubs at LECOM. The president of the school I have heard does not like preclinical medical students wearing scrubs...therefore, no scrubs in the school. Now, people do wear scrubs after hours, but they are a no-no for Gross lab. In gross lab we are expected to wear long pants (khakis) and a T-shirt.

Yet another rule to live by here, but as our provost said, there will be plenty more rules when you are in the profession.

NJDO

I can't help it.

I have to comment.

That just sounds crazy to strut into gross lab in a pair of khakis. Do you guys wear the same pair every day and get changed and keep them washed or what? I know I have my Anatomy scrubs that I wash once a week or so, and even that gets pretty rancid. Most of us even wear different sneakers into gross lab so we don't walk around smelling like funk. We all have our lab coats we wear, and most of them are adorned with nicknames or other goofy phrases.

I'm not putting you guys down at all. The culture at each school is unique. We have our PCOM culture which is a rather lazy form of attire, minimalistic lecture requirements, optional histo lab, etc. It sounds like a walk in the park, but our schedule is so hard right now that I don't think anyone really ever rests easy. I don't know how you guys can handle all that lecture time. Heck, I'm downright impressed by your classes ability to adhere to such a strict disciplinary code. I know I couldn't do it. That was a big reason behind me not choosing to go to LECOM too. Nice school, nice facilities, but yowch! I need my puppet strings to be loose.

How is the organization at LECOM? That is probably my only complaint with PCOM. Sometimes we do things in crazy order, and sometimes we get short changed on gross lab hours.

Time to review some histology. ;-D

Reactions: 1 user
njdo, I can't believe that you can't wear scrubs in gross! Wish, I can't believe that you have to wash your own scrubs! I wouldn't put mine in the wash with anything I own. One good thing about having the hospital across the street is that you can drop off a nasty pair of scrubs and pick up a fresh pair. Khakis in gross sounds insane!

That is silly! Khakis in the gross lab...as I understand that concession is fairly new and you used to be required to wear shirt & tie in gross lab, or is that just a rumor?

Personally, I see the whole shirt & tie thing as a hold-over from the stodgy old guard who equate professionalism with your attire. Believe me, there is a hell of a lot more required to be "professional" than dressing like your mother, or your provost, picked out your clothes. Uniforms are fine for elem, middle & high school -- where clothing and gang status can degrade safety and education. But one would sincerely hope that this is not the case in a professional level program.

Furthermore, make a ******* wear a shirt & time...does that make him/her a professional? No, it makes them a ******* in a shirt & tie.

I mean no disrespect to the school or the students of LECOM. In fact, I know of at least 2 seniors and 2 juniors from there...all but one of them are very very sharp and credit to the school & profession.

Wow peoples, it's okay...it's really not that bad.

I just used khakis as one example, but yes, we are expected to wear an OLD pair of pants to lab. So instead of having scrubs or sweatpants we change into pants and whatever T-shirt we want. And like PCOM, our lab coats have all types of sayings and nicknames on them. You also have to realize that we run things different for lab than most schools. I would go into it, but it takes too long to explain. I posted about it in a thread on LECOM interviews. Essentially we are only truly dissecting every month or so (for a week), and then the remainder of the time we prosect.

As for the dress code...again, it's not that bad. The guys have it the worst, and the girls seem to get away with less professional dress. However, it really is nice to see students walking around the school in professional dress. Is it a hassle? Yes, at times. But each school has its own character. LECOM's is one of a professional, most classical dress (and NO, of course, this does not mean that the person IS professional...it's just the dress). There's no sense in arguing about how stupid it is. It's just unique. We all knew what we were getting into. (Honestly, it's just the changing back and forth for labs that is a pain)

LECOM is pretty well organized I would say. There could always be improvements, but that's the case anywhere I think. There are a lot of changes this year to the school-a brand new building, adding more students to each learning pathway and opening a school of pharmacy next week. This school's been through a lot this year, and the change is good. Improvements were made to the curriculum from last year and the faculty is very accomodating in making sure things are working out okay for us.

I don't want people interviewing or considering application to LECOM to be discouraged by the dress code and attendance policies. Talk to students and find out about things. The school has a LOT to offer its students.

NJDO

PS...I feel like a lot of medical students make a big deal about wearing scrubs. I guess they're comfortable, but so are sweatpants or a good pair of jeans. Just my opinion;)

Sorry, but that's crazy. Here they let us wear t shirts as long as we have scrub pants on at the same time. Or else its khakis with a dress shirt.

I don't see what the big deal is about having to look professional in med school. I mean, it's still school. Who cares what anyone wears as long as the material is learned.

The fact that you can't wear scrubs in anatomy lab is just downright silly. Not ragging on your school or anything, just never heard of a dress code that strict.

Geeze. Dress codes are good whenever a patient (or standardized patient) is involved. Otherwise, it should be just like undergrad.

I agree with njdo - you guys are blowing this thing about the dress code WAY out of proportion! It's not that big of a deal! Especially for girls - you can wear a sweater and khakis and be comfortable (although I do agree that they go a little easier on girls ;) ) The dress code is preparing us for the real world. We can't show up to our offices in jeans and sweatshirts. IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL!

As for the scrub thing, they think that scrubs are a symbol of physicians, and hence we haven't "earned" our scrubs yet.

CALM DOWN ABOUT THE DRESS CODE! :mad:

Originally posted by njdo

PS...I feel like a lot of medical students make a big deal about wearing scrubs. I guess they're comfortable, but so are sweatpants or a good pair of jeans. Just my opinion;)

I don't know about other schools, but at Temple, scrubs are free and are cleaned for free. Comfort, schmomfort, at the end of the day I'll take free over my own clothes any day.