Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a silly question, but for all of you who are in a Clinical Psych, Ph.D program and are doing your internship... Is there a specific dress code that you have to follow? I'm asking this question because at my school the Clinical Psych students happen to dress almost identically every day (especially the males). They do not wear typical suits. They always wear brocade shoes, slacks, a crew neck sweater and poplin shirt underneath (one guy likes to wear polka dots)... Occasionally someone will switch things up with a black turtleneck but thats about as risque as it gets. Their wardrobe always seems so clean cut yet not business-y. Extremely WASP-Y. It made me wonder whether Psychologists are trained to not only behave in a certain way, but also dress in a particular way. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is a silly question, but for all of you who are in a Clinical Psych, Ph.D program and are doing your internship... Is there a specific dress code that you have to follow? I'm asking this question because at my school the Clinical Psych students happen to dress almost identically every day (especially the males). They do not wear typical suits. They always wear brocade shoes, slacks, a crew neck sweater and poplin shirt underneath (one guy likes to wear polka dots)... Occasionally someone will switch things up with a black turtleneck but thats about as risque as it gets. Their wardrobe always seems so clean cut yet not business-y. Extremely WASP-Y. It made me wonder whether Psychologists are trained to not only behave in a certain way, but also dress in a particular way. Any thoughts?
Interesting selection of attire there...I can say I have never seen someone wear a black turtleneck at any of my sites - or a turtleneck at all, now come to think of it.

Dress codes vary by setting. It is probably going to be more laid back in say, a community mental health center compared to working at a hospital, for example.

FWIW, I never cared about what I wore in most academic settings (yay hoodies). But when I was doing clinical work, I felt that dressing at least business casual showed respect for the patients I was working with.

What I am about to say will likely get significant push back, but it's what I believe to be true. I don't think psychologists are "trained" to dress a particular way. However, a lot of people in doctoral psych program come from a middle to upper-middle class background. As such, there are certain modes of dress and values that are reinforced in doctoral programs. In fact you have to because the stipends do not pay anything and some programs have no funding at all. So in order to make it through, you have to be able to survive on other means to get through the program.

I say all this to say. Come to class in whatever attire you want. Dress shirt, sneakers, pajama pants, etc. You are still a student and it's not a business program. Wear what you feel comfortable in for class, and at the workplace/practicum site, wear professional attire.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy...all day."
-Mitch Hedburg

Geographic location also makes some difference. I've trained on the east coast and worked in the west, and they tend to be more formal by default in New England. I work in a semi-rural VA in a remote corner of California, and I get away with jeans (no holes, no stains - gotta watch that) and a casual v-neck most days. I used to dress up more but I gave that up after I realized I was out formal-wearing even the physicians. I now save probably at least 50-100 bucks on drycleaning and clothing bills a month. :)

LOL. Sorry but really? Turtlenecks and only poplin shirts with sweaters. Sounds like (to borrow a phrase from the 60's) your classmates are a bunch of squares. I show up to class regularly in shorts, warm ups, and tshirts. When it comes time to see patients clinically obviously it is pressed pants and a button down and sometimes even a dress shirt and tie. I feel like people that never dress down in a grad program take themselves way to seriously.

I wear jeans when I'm not teaching or seeing clients... which is not often anymore.

I wear jeans when I'm not teaching or seeing clients... which is not often anymore.

I dress up to teach also - mostly because I want to set the tone for my students (particularly since I am pretty young as well). But I am pretty sure that as the semesters go by, I'll be back to jeans and hoodies once I get better at teaching and care less about how I look doing it.

We're expected to wear slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie here whenever we have contact with patients. Same was the case last year during my internship (a VA/med school consortium). Friday is generally an exception, on which it's ok to wear khakis (or, at my last site, jeans) and a polo if you don't have anyone scheduled to be seen.

When I was in grad school, I only ever dressed up when I saw clients or was teaching. Back then, I stuck with business casual at the university clinic, and then bumped it up slightly to slacks and a button-down shirt once I was working exclusively at off-campus practicum sites (the ties didn't start until internship). When in class, though, it was almost always strictly t-shirts and jeans/shorts (or jorts, for the most adventurous amongst us) for everyone.

Anyone care to chime in re: what the wimminfolk wear for practicum/internship??

We wimminfolk usually wear jeans and a nice shirt, sometimes dresses with tights or leggings (keep in mind that it's cold around here!)

If we are seeing clients, it tends to be dress pants and a blouse of some sort.

I do slacks and a button down on most days - tie if I'm seeing patients or students.

I definitely err on the side of over-dressed, but its partially required for my lab (hospital-based, so no jeans, etc. even when just doing research-stuff), and part a holdover from my last job where I discovered I had to answer far fewer questions about who I was and what I was doing there if I had a tie on (again, hospital). Also helps that I am apparently a freak and do not find those sorts of clothes any less comfortable than jeans and a t-shirt under most circumstances.

Also agree that it is location dependent. In FL its not uncommon to see grad students or even faculty in shorts and flip-flops. Up north, it seems much harder to get away with things like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
We wimminfolk usually wear jeans and a nice shirt, sometimes dresses with tights or leggings (keep in mind that it's cold around here!)

If we are seeing clients, it tends to be dress pants and a blouse of some sort.

Thanks, cara, but what about corduroys? :smuggrin:

I include those under "dress pants." In fact, I am wearing them today because it is super chilly outside! ;)

I should add that I mainly dress up to teach because I look like I'm 17.

Anyone care to chime in re: what the wimminfolk wear for practicum/internship??

I'm not particularly informed when it comes to women's fashion, but Cara's response sounds pretty similar to what the wimminfolk wore at my internship last year: usually a blouse or sweater (depending on the weather) paired with dress pants or a long or knee-length suit skirt.

I don't remember the source, but somebody once told me "never be the only guy at the meeting wearing or not wearing a tie." Sage advice- basically, dress to the norms of the environment. When in doubt as to what the norms are, err on the side of looking more professional.

I don't remember the source, but somebody once told me "never be the only guy at the meeting wearing or not wearing a tie." Sage advice- basically, dress to the norms of the environment. When in doubt as to what the norms are, err on the side of looking more professional.

If I am not giving some big talk, I am not wearing a tie. Even then - I'd say 50/50 I go with a tie. Ties are just so much more fun for weddings.

I'll agree though - the tie does seem to diffuse questions about your status when you are young. But not if you accidentally let it fall into your ketchup!

I agree that slightly overdressing is always a good choice. Interesting, though, because I've heard the viewpoint that 'dressing down' to meet the client's dress (if working in community mental health or even university counseling centers) makes the intern/professional seem more approachable and less haughty. Not sure about that for students, because I think the less education/training you have, the more you should overdo the professionalism in all aspects. When you're a busy psychologist, that's when you can relax it a bit.

I agree that slightly overdressing is always a good choice. Interesting, though, because I've heard the viewpoint that 'dressing down' to meet the client's dress (if working in community mental health or even university counseling centers) makes the intern/professional seem more approachable and less haughty. Not sure about that for students, because I think the less education/training you have, the more you should overdo the professionalism in all aspects. When you're a busy psychologist, that's when you can relax it a bit.

I have heard that before as well - although it is a bit presumptuous. When I was at a CMHC, a couple of people said this, but I think most folks went halfway (maybe business casual) so as not to insult their clients, either.

What I am about to say will likely get significant push back, but it's what I believe to be true. I don't think psychologists are "trained" to dress a particular way. However, a lot of people in doctoral psych program come from a middle to upper-middle class background. As such, there are certain modes of dress and values that are reinforced in doctoral programs. In fact you have to because the stipends do not pay anything and some programs have no funding at all. So in order to make it through, you have to be able to survive on other means to get through the program.

I say all this to say. Come to class in whatever attire you want. Dress shirt, sneakers, pajama pants, etc. You are still a student and it's not a business program. Wear what you feel comfortable in for class, and at the workplace/practicum site, wear professional attire.

I disagree. If you are in a doctoral program, you should dress like an adult. Pajama bottoms, leggings, ratty t-shirts, sweatpants, etc....should all be left in your freshman year of undergrad. If people are on a really tight budget there are plenty of appropriate business-casual clothing choices at Goodwill, Walmart, Target, etc. People should take some pride in how they present themselves in a professional setting. Yes....a classroom is a professional setting, whether you are a student or the professor.

I feel like I should be sitting on my porch waiting to chase away "no good lazy kids who don't know what it is like to hike up hill, both ways, on the way to class!" :laugh:

I had heard this too, but suspect it is one of those "clinical myths" that pervades the field with little to no basis in reality. There is likely quite a bit of variability across individuals within these populations, and I imagine more formal is still "safer". The literature base is not exactly robust, but at least one study seems to confirm that at least with undergrads - the "dress down" policy may be a fallacy. Seems like there are a couple others but their abstracts are more vague and I didn't feel like digging them up.

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/pst/29/3/486/

I disagree. If you are in a doctoral program, you should dress like an adult. Pajama bottoms, leggings, ratty t-shirts, sweatpants, etc....should all be left in your freshman year of undergrad. If people are on a really tight budget there are plenty of appropriate business-casual clothing choices at Goodwill, Walmart, Target, etc. People should take some pride in how they present themselves in a professional setting. Yes....a classroom is a professional setting, whether you are a student or the professor.

I feel like I should be sitting on my porch waiting to chase away "no good lazy kids who don't know what it is like to hike up hill, both ways, on the way to class!" :laugh:

T4C, I don't think you would have liked me in graduate school courses. Lots of hoodies.

FWIW, I'm a 4th year clinical phd. I'm a male WASP from an upper middle class family, and I think that's very relevant despite what I'd like to believe.

I didnt know what poplin was, so after googling that, I pretty much fit the description. I've been told by my DCT to "distringuish myself from masters level counseling students" by dressing 1 level more professionally. Take that fwiw, which I think is very little.

Also was told by DCT for teaching to always dress 1 level above the students. If you're teaching an intro class and your students show up in nasty garb, you can wear what you'd normally wear. If you're teaching a 4000 level class and the majority of your students are not in process of failing out of college (like freshmen may be) it might be worth your while to dress it up a tad more.

I have heard that before as well - although it is a bit presumptuous. When I was at a CMHC, a couple of people said this, but I think most folks went halfway (maybe business casual) so as not to insult their clients, either.

My internship was at a CMHC and I did the halfway thing and it seemed to be appropriate. I'd also add that you want to be professional, but not flashy. For example, I left my favorite Coach heels in the closet during internship, but I pulled them out again when I started working in a private practice with people who mostly make more money than I do. :)

Best,
Dr. E

Also, if you work in primary care or particularly an inpatient / hospital setting - don't do a tie. They're great disease vectors. Really, there are other ways to dress up (bow tie, maybe?).

Also, if you work in primary care or particularly an inpatient / hospital setting - don't do a tie. They're great disease vectors. Really, there are other ways to dress up (bow tie, maybe?).

I could certainly see this being the case if you're working exclusively in an inpatient setting (or while doing Wada evals, for example; never know when a patient might get agitated once you knock out that right hemisphere and start grasping at anything within reach), but I'd probably check with your supervisors first. At my internship, nearly all of the (male) medical residents in the inpatient areas actually wore ties when not in scrubs (a few bow, but mostly traditional); they (and we, of course) just gowned up if needed before seeing patients.

I could certainly see this being the case if you're working exclusively in an inpatient setting (or while doing Wada evals, for example; never know when a patient might get agitated once you knock out that right hemisphere and start grasping at anything within reach), but I'd probably check with your supervisors first. At my internship, nearly all of the (male) medical residents in the inpatient areas actually wore ties when not in scrubs (a few bow, but mostly traditional); they (and we, of course) just gowned up if needed before seeing patients.

I feel like I must have gone to some second class sites, now. The big wigs wore ties, but it wasn't an expected dress code among students or medical residents. Just dress pants and a dress shirt.

I feel like I must have gone to some second class sites, now. The big wigs wore ties, but it wasn't an expected dress code among students or medical residents. Just dress pants and a dress shirt.

Haha remember, my internship and postdoc were/are in the south--we probably just feel the need to overcompensate via attire so that people from elsewhere actually take us seriously. And even then, we're only ever somewhat successful. :D

Also, if you work in primary care or particularly an inpatient / hospital setting - don't do a tie. They're great disease vectors.

I don't consider myself a germ-phobe, but that post engendered some horrifying visuals for me.

I agree that dressing down (way down) in order to be more accessible to lower-income populations can feel somewhat patronizing, at least to me. I don't think I'd roll in wearing a full Tahari ensemble with oodles of flashy Chanel jewelry, but I also think that patients should be able to tell that you're a professional if they're going to be expected to work with you.

For the ladies, we have an added issue of, for lack of a better word, "attractiveness" to consider when it comes to clothing. In both a VA setting and a primarily male CMHC setting, I'm acutely aware of being female, and while I dress nicely, I've also learned to aim for a deliberate level of mild frumpiness. Obviously, I wouldn't be wearing miniskirts with stilettos regardless of the setting, but there have been times when I've definitely wanted to look less female in my dress, if that makes sense.

I agree that dressing down (way down) in order to be more accessible to lower-income populations can feel somewhat patronizing, at least to me. I don't think I'd roll in wearing a full Tahari ensemble with oodles of flashy Chanel jewelry, but I also think that patients should be able to tell that you're a professional if they're going to be expected to work with you.

For the ladies, we have an added issue of, for lack of a better word, "attractiveness" to consider when it comes to clothing. In both a VA setting and a primarily male CMHC setting, I'm acutely aware of being female, and while I dress nicely, I've also learned to aim for a deliberate level of mild frumpiness. Obviously, I wouldn't be wearing miniskirts with stilettos regardless of the setting, but there have been times when I've definitely wanted to look less female in my dress, if that makes sense.

I've worked in a variety of settings and agree overall. I think its important to convey respect by dressing at a basic level of business cas, tailored to the clients you are serving. In some settings, I wore minimal jewelry and dressed in a somewhat masculinized fashion (think angular, not form fitting, and no skirts), whereas in my current setting, jewelry and knee-length suit skirts are an almost daily occurrence (either myself, another student, or a faculty member). I'm open to both but am enjoying the increased freedom I have to access more of my wardrobe. :p

As a guy, I have always dressd similarly in professional settings. That usually consists of slacks (dress pants, chinos, etc.) and an open collar dress shirt (no button collar shirts). I usually forgo ties as I hate them and they usually get in the way. In colder months a v-neck sweater over a shirt or a blazer is worn. I have never believed in being super formal with clothing and I have yet to be criticized for it.

We have a few profs who'd agree with you. There is not a set dress code (outside of the clinic), but if you're not "dressed appropriately" (according to what the powers that be consider appropriate), then you will definitely hear about it. This means, for the most part, that you should probably not look like you just rolled out of bed (or out of your car) and came to class. Some profs are more strict than others and have "strongly encouraged" more professional appearance from their students on a daily basis.

Last edited:

The chief medical director at the insurance company I worked at in a previous life wore a bow tie on a daily basis. He was known for them. On the other hand, it was awesome that very few people knew the actual identity of "that little old man running around in bow ties." :p

I worked at a place that had "bow tie" Fridays (unofficially started by a medical resident)...it was a fun change of pace.

As for graduate school...I think it is important for students to approach graduate training as a professional job, not an extension of undergrad. I think a lot of students don't fully consider the impression they give others when they utilize the "just rolled out of bed" look. From a faculty POV...I'd have reservations about a student (particularly an upper-level student) being a bad example for first years about what is expected in the program/lab/profession. Again, I'm not talking about meeting for a study session, but on a Wednesday afternoon working in the office, I'd expect business casual bc you are representing my research efforts.

Last edited:
I worked at a place that had "bow tie" Fridays (unofficially started by a medical resident)...it was a fun change of pace.

As for graduate school...I think it is important for students to approach graduate training as a professional job, not an extension of undergrad. I think a lot of students don't fully consider the impression they give others when they utilize the "just rolled out of bed" look. From a faculty POV...I'd have reservations about a student (particularly an upper-level student) being a bad example for first years about what is expected in the program/lab/profession. Again, I'm not talking about meeting for a study session, but on a Wednesday afternoon working in the office, I'd expect business casual bc you are representing my research efforts.

Some schools have employee dress codes and no student dress code. People were fairly lax in how they dressed for class at my school, because really the school's policy protected them.

I kicked my dress code up a notch for anything where I'd be representing the Uniersity off campus, and I did start to dress nicer on my own towards the end of the program. But when it didn't matter much, I went with the casual hoodie and jeans look. It wasn't uncommon where I went to school.

There is a tasteful way to dress casually, IMO, as a student.

Some schools have employee dress codes and no student dress code. People were fairly lax in how they dressed for class at my school, because really the school's policy protected them.

I kicked my dress code up a notch for anything where I'd be representing the Uniersity off campus, and I did start to dress nicer on my own towards the end of the program. But when it didn't matter much, I went with the casual hoodie and jeans look. It wasn't uncommon where I went to school.

There is a tasteful way to dress casually, IMO, as a student.

Pragma, here we agree.

It's not as though the world of "business" is ubiquitous in embracing even "business casual." The people I know who make the most amount of money all go to work every day in jeans and t-shirts. For them to dress more formally would constitute a break with their workplace culture.

I find that there's enough that's stultifying about academia (theoretical orthodoxies, departmental politics). I don't want to be told that my t-shirt is inappropriate for class as well.

Pragma, here we agree.

It's not as though the world of "business" is ubiquitous in embracing even "business casual." The people I know who make the most amount of money all go to work every day in jeans and t-shirts. For them to dress more formally would constitute a break with their workplace culture.

I find that there's enough that's stultifying about academia (theoretical orthodoxies, departmental politics). I don't want to be told that my t-shirt is inappropriate for class as well.
Indeed, it is one of the perks of academia (broadly...norms vary when you get to a medical center).

I'm still looking for just the right blazer to rock with some jeans. I think I'm the only one in my department with an earring and a tattoo as well (although my tattoo isn't usually visible).

For the love of all that is holy, please no pajama pants outside of the home. Everything else is fine. But pajamas are pajamas, and they don't belong in public.

I would add though that your last point is well taken. If you want to show up sloppy looking, you are only hurting yourself. I don't have grad students yet, but I would be put off if they showed up for a lab meeting in sleep pants. At least ask my permission first (I'll probably say yes depending on your job).

Some casual clothes are pretty nice, IMO. But remember...you can always start dressing down after you get the lay of the land. You can't get those first impressions back.

For the love of all that is holy, please no pajama pants outside of the home. Everything else is fine. But pajamas are pajamas, and they don't belong in public.

Aren't there pajama pants that look like jeans for women now? At least those don't say "sexy" or whatever on the butt :)

I feel like I can smell the person when they're wearing pajama pants. I agree that grad school should be viewed slightly more professionally than undergrad, though I think pajamas are inappropriate for undergrad also. But I think making a good impression is important, and it also helps to bridge that transition into professonal life.

I'd make it a law not to wear pajamas outside of the home if I could. Bleech. (even if they are disguised as jeans - and when did jeans become too difficult? I thought they were supposed to be casual, and they need to be more casual?)

/rant

O/T

What the hell is up with teenage girls and pajama pants?

(and get off of my lawn!)

I keep all balls thrown into my yard..,

As far as students go, I'm more interested in substance than presentation. What I'd give for a classroom full of pajama-clad UGs if they were respectful, prepared, and attentive.