Summer Dress Code for Men

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spo0fyspoof

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

4th year student here. For the male clinicians out there, what do you wear to see patients when the weather is 80-100 degrees? Even when taking into account my office would be ACed, traveling to the clinic in slacks and a button down is already suffocating. I’ve worked at a summer treatment camp where the head psychologist held parent training sessions in a short sleeve polo, khaki shorts, and flip flops. To me, that didn’t seem to take any professional integrity. The parents in session also still appeared to respect him very much. Thanks in advance for all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, for the female clinicians. Very open to hear about your experiences working with male clinicians who may have dressed in a variety of ways during the hot hot weather. Did the way they dress affect how you viewed their professionalism at this time? Thanks again!!

I firmly believe that dress is directly tied to income. If you dress like every other professional in the world, you can be expected to be paid like a professional. If you don't dress like that, you're causing yourself needless difficulty. It's tempting to try to see what you can "get away with". But in the end, it affects you.

I also believe there's pretty firm sexism in professional dress.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even in hot weather, I wear a button-down shirt and slacks. We're not allowed to ever wear shorts or flip-flops, but I wouldn't even if provided the option. I could technically wear a polo, but the physicians don't, and I don't, either.

Although if it were a setting in which everyone wore less formal clothing, that might make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
The crappy way a lot of psychologists dress drives me nuts. Come on people. Dress like professionals.

Reactions: 2 users
I definitely echo @PSYDR’s view of sexism and dress. I often notice my female supervisors dressing an a sleeveless top during these hot weathers and wonder what kind of response I would get if I showed up in similar fashion (literally). Again, to me, I still hold my supervisors to the same high regard and respect, but I cannot help but have a desire to show up to the clinic one day, seeing patients in a tank top.

This also makes me think about a video I saw on a male catholic high school student who wore the school’s uniform for the girls (a skirt) because the boys were not allowed to wear shorts and were limited to slacks. technically, he was abiding by school dress code!

Reactions: 1 user
I do think that it really depends on the setting in which you work. I am a believer in dressing one level above your clientele. Generally this means a dress shirt and slacks. I may add a blazer if I need to be more formal. I hate ties, so I rarely where them unless I am in a business meeting.

Now that I am in HBPC, less formal, usually shirt and slacks only. It is weird to pop into the home of a less economically affluent person in jacket/tie, etc. Also, I would be concerned about my safety in some neightborhoods if I did.

On the rare summer friday in PP, I may have opted for my boating/yachting look (polo shirt, khakis, sperry topsiders) to see a few patients and head out to weekend festivities without having to change first.

@Sanman That's not yachting wear, sir!

@spo0fyspoof IME: that turns out poorly. Talking about it turns out poorly. Using examples turns out even worse.

Men's business wear is a stupid relic from the British and Croatian climates. It's highly impractical. But you're going to be the only person to lose out if you challenge it .

(none of this means that women don't have a crapton of sexism stuff to deal with as well).

Tucked in polos with khakis/cords (no shorts, can't remember the last time I've seen my knees tbh) and dress/boat shoes. But this is in an area where even that is considered on the formal side.

I've always been a big fan of the Dexter style while working on my unit (i.e., nice khakis and sold button up/dress shoes). Then once I leave I can drop the shoes and pop on some birks lol. My original mentor never wore anything but dress pants, shirt, and tie. Another mentor of mine only wears legit nice suits...to anything. They ascribe to PSYDR's logic, which seems to be sound, as they both make bank. If im doing private evals I'm always in a suit, no matter the weather. I'm definitely guilty though of wearing hipsterish stuff to my day job at my hospital, as there is a good amount of millennial presence in higher up positions, which appears to have lead to a culture shift in terms of fashion. It's also a state facility, and I swear people tend to get away with more stuff there than with feds or private places.

I worked for several years before grad school, and I’ve noticed a lot of other grad students asking me why I dress up so often even in our training clinic (I don’t wear full length formal dresses, but usually slacks/pencil skirts, etc).
I dress the same in clinic (and at clerkships) as I did in my professional roles before grad school.

Interesting conversation!

@PSYDR I will definitely not challenge it haha. More so for the sake of my own imagination.

@Sanman "Dressing one level above clients." I really like this motto! Straightforward and makes sense.

So I forgot to mention that my speciality will be working with children/adolescents (0-21). Especially when playing on the floor with the younger children, are there any differences in dress for these occasions?

I used to wear slacks and a button down shirt as my standard setup; this was a hold over from when we were required to wear white coats on the floor. I was 50/50 button down v scrubs during fellowship, but I preferred to dress nicer. It matters how you present to colleagues, subordinates, etc.

At my next job (another AMC), I wore mostly suits and sometimes a button down shirt and slacks. I tend to work better when I suit up, and bespoke suits make it easier. :D

Now in private practice I can wear whatever I want. I’m the only psych in a medical practice, and all of the other docs wear a combo of button down shirt and golf/polo shirts. Suits for court days and in-office depos. Scrubs for procedure days, though I don’t do injections or procedures, so I only wear scrubs if i’m in on a weekend.

I actually wore shorts yesterday for the first time...it felt super weird. I was holed up in my office doing a case review for 10hr, so I wanted to be extra comfortable. I also found out that most of the staff didn’t know I was inked...that was funny. :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Therapist4Chnge Speaking about being inked. I have a tattoo myself on my chest. In class, I've wore a tank top under an unbuttoned shirt on hot days. What do you think about this kind of dress for just class?

@PSYDR 200% noted. I've never been a fan of corduroy's, but this functional aspect just convinced me to buy three pairs :D

@PSYDR I will definitely not challenge it haha. More so for the sake of my own imagination.

@Sanman "Dressing one level above clients." I really like this motto! Straightforward and makes sense.

So I forgot to mention that my speciality will be working with children/adolescents (0-21). Especially when playing on the floor with the younger children, are there any differences in dress for these occasions?

I would say you get a bit more leeway with kiddos, and to a lesser extent adolescents. I think khakis or similar and a polo would be fine there. Possibly even some professional-looking sneakers or more comfortable dress shoes. Maybe dress up a bit more if there are days you're solely providing feedback to parents.

Ties can make appealing targets to grab. I wear one almost everyday where I am now, but if I were frequently inpatient (med or psych) or frequently working with kiddos, I wouldn't.

@Sanman That's not yachting wear, sir!

No, it is what preppy east coast people wear to the yacht club for their 2pm gin and tonic though. A nautical theme on the classic northeastern preppy look I grew up with and have lived around. I also have been known to rock penny loafers, blue blazers, linen sportcoat for the summer, and even have a tweed sportcoat with elbow patches somewhere. It allows me to look well put together without wearing a tie or shoelaces (I seem to have an aversion to things you tie in knots).

OP, two other things to consider:
1. Pay attention to fabrics, a linen shirt and lightweight chinos with loafers can mean you are comfortable and look more professional than wearing shorts. People in hot desert climates wear lightweight long sleeve clothing often.

2. How you present yourself sets the tone for how you are treated. I used to dress more casual and insist on staff calling me by my first name when I was younger. It made me more approachable, but took away from my authority. Now, I dress more formally and introduce myself as Dr Sanman. People are not as friendly/chatty, but when I am on a unit, they give me a chair and hand me my charts.

Having gone to grad school in Gainesville, Florida, I feel a sense of expertise on this :)

It was normal for us to bring a new shirt to wear once we got to the clinic. If you were doing a summer practice nothing would be dry. If you pack a shirt you have much less to worry about regarding keeping it professional on the walk to the clinic.

The other option is polos and such. Polos and khakis work ok. Tucked in.

Don’t wear shorts. Unless you have *amazing* legs.

Sartorial choices are incredibly culture-bound, so the practice setting, clientele, type of work (e.g. assessment vs. therapy), local culture, and other factors should all play a role. Being in CA, slacks and a button-up shirt would look weird in a lot of settings because you would be beyond overdressed. I do generally abide by the dress one level nicer than the patients rule. At certain settings, the wear and tear on your clothing is also a factor. I work in an environment that is extremely dirty at times (forensic hospital), and where the physicians and most clinicians of all types wear jeans. A suit stands out like a sore thumb in this environment, in part because it makes the person wearing it look like they don't know they could easily end up with bodily fluids of any kind on them while here. Not only that, but you have to wear shoes you can run in, and slick-bottomed dress shoes don't work well for that. You do every now and again see someone in slacks and tennis shoes, but it does look odd.

Last edited:
@PSYDR So I forgot to mention that my speciality will be working with children/adolescents (0-21). Especially when playing on the floor with the younger children, are there any differences in dress for these occasions?
I work exclusively with toddlers. They don’t care what I wear. They’d probably dig it if I wore light up Paw Patrol sneakers and a Lightning McQeen t-shirt. I spend most of my sessions sitting on the floor. I wear a long sleeve dress shirt, tie (most definitely not goofy child themed ties) and dress pants every day. I may throw on a sweater or suit coat during the cold months. I turn up the ac during the summer. It’s company policy that staff at my level dress professionally, but I’d do it anyways. The kiddos don’t typically pull on my tie. I have a rather long and pointy beard, and that gets yanked on more frequently. I usually get through it with no harm done. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to demonstrate calm redirection, limit setting, and effective contingency management to the parent. Kid’s need to know not to yank on people’s ties, and I’m pretty good at teaching kids, so go for it junior!

I’m a professional, and feel that when I dress that way, I act that way and am seen that way. I also just like to look nice and wear nice clothes. Also, within the most common cultural sub groups that I typically work with, the families often dress the kiddos up in their Sunday finery for the trip to “el doctor.” It’s the least I can do to to dress the part. Plus, I like the irony of a guy in a tie sitting on a tiny chair pretending that he can’t find the rubber ducky that is, in fact, on top of his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
@Sanman Im a card carrying, but not on the register, WASP. I know the look. I’m just messing with you. I rock the same.

Ha, I am the furthest thing from a WASP! However, looking the part is helpful when asking for session payment. Ironically, I have old sneakers and dri fit clothes for when I am actually on a boat. On weekends, it is often day laborer chic when I am working on the house.

Hospital: Business casual. Slacks, shirt, no tie (safety and sanitary concern for my work). Very nice shoes.
Private prac and teaching: Whatever I damn please. But usually the same, brought down a notch or two. Always pants, never shorts.

Ha, I am the furthest thing from a WASP! However, looking the part is helpful when asking for session payment. Ironically, I have old sneakers and dri fit clothes for when I am actually on a boat. On weekends, it is often day laborer chic when I am working on the house.

When Gerald Koocher was APA president, someone made fun of him for wearing the navy blazer, slacks, bowtie, sneakers combo. They called it something east coast-y.

I usually have a 10 minute walk in 90+ degrees and humid conditions. I was recommended by my physician colleagues to wear shorts and a t-shirt to work and then change into work clothes after cooling down. It helps to avoid sweating in workwear. I change into a short-sleeve (or long-sleeve) button up and slacks.

I'm a [female] grad student and I dress professionally every day. I dress the same whether I'm working in the clinic or taking an exam, and regardless of season. I enjoy looking put-together (so there's that), but I also know that the people I surround myself with every day - fellow students, faculty members, supervisors - are my colleagues and will be my colleagues for my entire career. I take it all very seriously and the way I dress every single day is one way for me to communicate that.

Not all of my fellow students do this, though, and I think part of it is a difference in how we perceive what we are doing as grad students. I think a lot of students look at it like "school" whereas I look at it as "career." I notice that the students who came straight from undergrad or are only a couple of years out of undergrad seem to view it as a continuation of school, which I can understand. I worked for many years between undergrad and grad, and I think this break from being a student has influenced the way I perceive the work I am doing now and how I approach it. I don't think I'm more serious about the actual work than they are, I just think I'm a little more serious about my presentation and I perceive every single interaction I have across academic settings as professional.

It takes a little bit to make me sweat. I like to think this issue is mainly because Northerners are weak.

Ha, John Snow claiming Northerners are weak...don't worry winter is coming!

Reactions: 5 users
I work in medical settings and I take my cues from my medical colleagues, whose dress differs a good deal by specialty and institution. Personally I aim for that middle ground between the most casual dressers and the docs who wear a full suit to clinic. Neither a peacock nor a slouch. Today, for instance, I’m in a sheath dress with 3/4 sleeves and low heels.

I tried the white coat thing for a while before deciding against it unless I’m doing inpatient, which I don’t do in my current role. About half my MD colleagues wear one. Again, varies a lot by setting.

As for seasonal variations, it gets hot as hell where I live, but I wear a lot of the same apparel year round because my office is freezing cold no matter the season.

Dressing professionally is a good tool, especially if you are young or are having trouble with presence.

I had an undergrad in my lab for a time who showed up to lab in a button down shirt and a tie every day. That reflected very well on him, in my opinion. He also read ahead and outperformed our neurology fellow at the time. He's now a neurologist.

I typically wear a button down and a sport coat, but, in the summer, I tend to drop the sport coat. I wear ties to clinic.

However, part of me enjoys overcoming casual dress, sloppiness. The idea being that presentation is fluff. I used to operate that way. I know several prominent professors that do it. . .unshaven, fairly casual. They still command respect. I still do it to a degree. When using powerpoint, my slides are unadorned, as simple as possible.

Err on the side of formal dress.

So you're saying you don't use animations of text flying onto and off the slide accompanied by whooshing sound effects and garish text/background color combinations? For shame.

Also, I would second the recommendation to bring a change of clothes with you if needed (e.g., during summer months if you have a longer walk to work). There's not much worse than having to sit with your work shirt under a hand dryer in the bathroom for 20 minutes because you amply sweated through it during your half-hour walk in 90 degrees and high humidity. Not that I have direct experience with this.

Thank you all for the responses and wonderful input. I have to say, I’ve never really thought about bringing a separate set of clothes to change into. In the Northeast area I might be the only person, at least in psychology, to do so haha.

It seems like, in terms of tops, I will need to stock up on a variety of button downs. I feel like, as an extern, if I add a suit jacket on top of my outfit, I’d stick out like a sore thumb.