Drexel Class Of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone goin to drexel but in the LA/OC area?
we should party!
2nd/yr here.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats guys...future 3rd year (and former PIL student)

hope to see yall out during orientation week...usually a good time!

And if anyone's considering PIL and has questions, feel free to ask.

hey all! just wanted to welcome everyone here to drexel. i'm a fourth year (wow, i still can't believe it) and love it here at drexel. i'm one of the new social chairs this year, so i hope to see some of you guys out at our events! feel free to PM me with any questions you guys have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd bump this thread to bring all the Drexel '09-ers out of the woodwork. I too will be heading there in August. How's everyone doing? Have you guys started looking for housing? Well anyway, I look forward to meeting you guys in just over a month (wow, that's way too soon!).

HI :) Congrats on Drexel! I am a 2nd year now and love it here. Feel free to ask me any questions.

So after waiting for what seemed like FOREVER I finally got accepted to Drexel about 4 days ago. ACK! Right now I live in Mid-Missouri with my soon-to-be husband. We're actually moving out there to stay with one of his friends (about an hour outside Philly) 3 days after the wedding!
So does anyone have any advice on apartment hunting from afar? Anyone have extra space they want to rent out to a couple? Honestly, I know it will all work out EVENTUALLY, but I am really stressing out about finding any kind of decent/affordable place near campus so late in the game.
Also... does anyone know what kind of financial aid I might get (and how long it might take) considering classes start in just over a month?
Anyway, can't wait to see you all! I'm so excited!!

shaunaiam said:
So after waiting for what seemed like FOREVER I finally got accepted to Drexel about 4 days ago. ACK! Right now I live in Mid-Missouri with my soon-to-be husband. We're actually moving out there to stay with one of his friends (about an hour outside Philly) 3 days after the wedding!
So does anyone have any advice on apartment hunting from afar? Anyone have extra space they want to rent out to a couple? Honestly, I know it will all work out EVENTUALLY, but I am really stressing out about finding any kind of decent/affordable place near campus so late in the game.
Also... does anyone know what kind of financial aid I might get (and how long it might take) considering classes start in just over a month?
Anyway, can't wait to see you all! I'm so excited!!

Don't worry, everything WILL work out. :) You will be able to get your financial aid with everyone else (a few weeks into school). Just keep in touch with the financial aid office to make sure everything is in and done correctly.

As for apartments, check out "housing list" from this link
http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/osa/orientation/ and email multiple current 2nd years about their opinion on housing ("contact a second year student" from above link)

Congrats and welcome!

Hey guys!
I just got pulled off the waitlist at the end of June and I am soo excited to be going to Drexel!! I can't wait. :D I am from California (went to UCLA for undergrad) so I am flying out to Philly tomorrow to try and find someplace to live (and maybe bug the financial aid people a little...). Hopefully I will be able to find a little place this late in the "season." Im only 21, are there any other youngins out there?? I am really looking forward to orientation and to get to know all of you, thanks for all the good advice!
dre

smellydre said:
Hey guys!
I just got pulled off the waitlist at the end of June and I am soo excited to be going to Drexel!! I can't wait. :D I am from California (went to UCLA for undergrad) so I am flying out to Philly tomorrow to try and find someplace to live (and maybe bug the financial aid people a little...). Hopefully I will be able to find a little place this late in the "season." Im only 21, are there any other youngins out there?? I am really looking forward to orientation and to get to know all of you, thanks for all the good advice!
dre

Gosh! Are you coming back to Cali if you find housing out there? We don't have much time before we start orientation!! :p :eek:

i got an email today about signing a prom. note - i JUST got off the waitlist last week and have not gotten anything regarding fin aid yet. is this normal?
did you guys get a fin aid packet that you filled out and sent in?

thanks!!

Same here. I can't sign into the Drexel Web stuff because I don't have a name yet because they haven't gotten my check, but yet they seem concerned that I haven't signed a MPN. Are we supposed to do both of those links? Or just one or...? I have no idea and I didn't get the email until last night, so I guess I'll call Monday?
Anyone have any hints?
Yeah... I will be in town the 22nd and trying to find an apartment then before school starts. Ack!

Whats up everyone.. I just got off the waitlist a couple weeks ago and I am really excited to be in philly (Eventhough Im from Pittsburgh and Ive grown up with a loathing for the place). I went to undergrad at Wake Forest so let me know if there are any fellow ACC fans out there. ...Anyway, I spent a couple days in philly looking for places so I can give anyone a decent idea of the cost of things.. but only in center city... I'm living in Park Towne apts right next to the art museum in center city, its a slight pain in the ass commute but necessary because I'm living with my girlfriend who does teach for america in camden. I have a couple of questions though:

- Whats the deal with this social events thing...it sounds like a good time and everything but are people actually doing it? Let me know if youve heard anything. I dont want to drop a c note and be the only one there.

- Computers? Who has to get a new one and how is that going?

Ill sure ill have more questions but in the mean time, congrats to everyone and Im looking forward to meeting you all.

I guess I was planning on going to Orientation Week but I haven't sent in any $$.

About computers, I have seen threads where people have talked about really, really good deals, but I'm not getting another one 'cause I bought one a year ago. I think I saw a thread about Dell laptops? I don't know how to get the promo codes to get such discounts on laptop computers, otherwise I'd post that here!

Members don't see this ad :)
PAPPAPPAP said:
Whats up everyone.. I just got off the waitlist a couple weeks ago and I am really excited to be in philly (Eventhough Im from Pittsburgh and Ive grown up with a loathing for the place). I went to undergrad at Wake Forest so let me know if there are any fellow ACC fans out there. ...Anyway, I spent a couple days in philly looking for places so I can give anyone a decent idea of the cost of things.. but only in center city... I'm living in Park Towne apts right next to the art museum in center city, its a slight pain in the ass commute but necessary because I'm living with my girlfriend who does teach for america in camden. I have a couple of questions though:

- Whats the deal with this social events thing...it sounds like a good time and everything but are people actually doing it? Let me know if youve heard anything. I dont want to drop a c note and be the only one there.

- Computers? Who has to get a new one and how is that going?

Ill sure ill have more questions but in the mean time, congrats to everyone and Im looking forward to meeting you all.

I would recommend the social events during orientation week!!! Yes, the 100 bucks seems like alot, but you will have so much fun you won't care by the end of the week. Our class (2nd years) had about 90% of the people go to the events, so that shows you most people go!!!! Orientation week overall is an absolute blast, and the social events are definitely one of the reasons.

I'll be going to at least most of the social event things... I figure "why not." :)
See you there!

I'm gonna go to the orientation events. I figure that'll be the best time to meet people before we all get crazy and stressed out :)

I found a studio apartment in Alden Park- an apt complex right by campus. Anyone else living around there? I would've liked to have lived in center city, but I feel like it would be too tempting not to go to class.

Are any of you californians or people from other west coast states, shipping your cars to Philly? I have a few shipping companies in mind, but I'd like to see what others are doing.

sg4runner said:
I'm gonna go to the orientation events. I figure that'll be the best time to meet people before we all get crazy and stressed out :)

I found a studio apartment in Alden Park- an apt complex right by campus. Anyone else living around there? I would've liked to have lived in center city, but I feel like it would be too tempting not to go to class.

Are any of you californians or people from other west coast states, shipping your cars to Philly? I have a few shipping companies in mind, but I'd like to see what others are doing.

im heading up there this weekend to look at alden park. is it nice?

inferno said:
im heading up there this weekend to look at alden park. is it nice?

I really liked Alden Park. It's a bit more expensive than the other complexes around there, but it seems worht it- gated, lots of amenities, and parking is not a problem. The staff seems really helpful, and I know of a few second years who are living there. The only con is that I've heard the windows are drafty and since the heating/AC is electric and you have to pay for your own electricity (gas and water are included), the bills can get pretty expensive. So just be prepared for that. I got a studio though, so I'm hoping it won't take as much to heat it up, and I'm also gonna try to seal the windows a little more and buy thick curtains.

I also looked at Carlton Park and School Lane House. They were okay too, but after a lot of thinking I decided to go with Alden cuz I felt most comfortable there.

Btw, most of those complexes aren't open on Sunday and you have to have an appt with them on Saturdays (I found this out the hard way), but if you go to their leasing offices and ask them to squeeze you in, you'll be fine. Or, you may have been smarter than me and already have an appt :) Good luck!

Are any of these three (Alden Park, Carlton Park, School Lane House) within walking distance of the campus? Thanks. :thumbup:

sg4runner said:
I really liked Alden Park. It's a bit more expensive than the other complexes around there, but it seems worht it- gated, lots of amenities, and parking is not a problem. The staff seems really helpful, and I know of a few second years who are living there. The only con is that I've heard the windows are drafty and since the heating/AC is electric and you have to pay for your own electricity (gas and water are included), the bills can get pretty expensive. So just be prepared for that. I got a studio though, so I'm hoping it won't take as much to heat it up, and I'm also gonna try to seal the windows a little more and buy thick curtains.

I also looked at Carlton Park and School Lane House. They were okay too, but after a lot of thinking I decided to go with Alden cuz I felt most comfortable there.

Btw, most of those complexes aren't open on Sunday and you have to have an appt with them on Saturdays (I found this out the hard way), but if you go to their leasing offices and ask them to squeeze you in, you'll be fine. Or, you may have been smarter than me and already have an appt :) Good luck!

sierra89 said:
Are any of these three (Alden Park, Carlton Park, School Lane House) within walking distance of the campus? Thanks. :thumbup:

Yup, they're all within a short walking distance of Campus. I live in Alden Park, and I renewed my lease for the next year. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about it!

You're shipping your car from DC to Philly??? Anyway, yes, I'm shipping my car, and I'm still trying to sort out what company would be worth using. The quotes I've gotten range from $890 to $950. I'd like a fully refundable deposit, I think. So many options... :confused:

sg4runner said:

sierra89 said:
You're shipping your car from DC to Philly??? Anyway, yes, I'm shipping my car, and I'm still trying to sort out what company would be worth using. The quotes I've gotten range from $890 to $950. I'd like a fully refundable deposit, I think. So many options... :confused:

Haha, no, I'll be shipping my car from San Francisco to Philly. I've heard about the same price range as you have. I'll pm you if I find something good!

Congrats on going to Drexel!! You guys are going to love it!

Just a suggestion- I would shop around for health insurance before you commit to the school's plan. Depending on what kind of coverage you want, there are plans out there that are A LOT cheaper than the school's plan and the school doesn't really tell you about this. For example, I have a plan with Aetna (PPO40 plan) where I pay $86 a month for medical plus dental coverage. THe school's plan is much more expensive and is more coverage than I really need right now. So, check out the Aetna website and see what they have to offer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Drexel!!

Enjoy your summers!!!

Hey guys!
I was just out in Philly for the weekend to find a place to live, and luckily was able to do that. I looked at Alden Parks but they didnt have any studios left when I was there, but the complex is just classic. When I was on campus I was talking to some people about housing, and they said that in the past students have had problems with school lane house and so its not on their list of housing recommendations anymore. I dont know exactly what kind of problems they had, but that was enough for me.

Im not going to have a car so living by school was important (I ended up at Charlwin, I dont think you can get any closer to school :) ) Oh and I am definately going to orientation, I think it'll be fun.

Have any of you newly-accepted people been able to "pick up" your computer account? I was accepted end of June and Ive tried but it wont let me, and I know that Drexel has received my payment for my spot...Im not sure what to do.

Thanks!
Dre

Hey,
What kind of computer does everyone have/recommend? Also, how do we get that added onto our aid package?

PAPPAPPAP said:
Hey,
What kind of computer does everyone have/recommend? Also, how do we get that added onto our aid package?

I bought a Toshiba laptop last year and I love it.

smellydre said:
Have any of you newly-accepted people been able to "pick up" your computer account? I was accepted end of June and Ive tried but it wont let me, and I know that Drexel has received my payment for my spot...Im not sure what to do.

Thanks!
Dre

I want to start out with the disclaimer that I have no personal knowledge of when/how Drexel's computer accounts are generated.

But, based on my prior experience working in tech support for a college, I've encountered plenty of people who have trouble activating their account, and sometimes it's not their fault. Your ID/SSN or DOB might be entered improperly into their database, and that would prevent you from activating your account. If you have more than one address (mailing address such as PO Box and a home address, two parents' homes, etc.), try all the ZIP codes you can.

So if you can't obtain an account here: http://www.drexel.edu/computeraccounts, what I would do is call (215) 895-1958 or e-mail [email protected].

:luck:

PAPPAPPAP said:
Hey,

I'm pretty sure the cost of the computer is added into the first-year student budget.

I have a thinkpad which I bought a year ago from insight.com. It was previously returned to the company, so I got it for $300 off! Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it. IMO, it doesn't matter what computer you buy, and I personally would stay away from HP/Compaq even though I know someone who has had no problems with her HP notebook she bought a year ago. But if it's a good deal, go for it. Try browsing through fatwallet.com's computer section for coupon codes (side note: this is what I couldn't remember in an earlier post I wrote about Dell laptops!! :D) that you can use when ordering from a company online.

Drexel "requires" XP Pro (and I wonder if that is REALLY necessary), but I would still keep that in mind when you are shopping for a computer.

I know they received my $$ last week and just last night I could get a computer account. FYI, my "permanent zip code" was actually my "current" zip code.. don't know if anyone else had that problem. Luckily I was frustrated enough with their system to just try all hte zip codes I have lived at or had mail sent to in the last couple years. Haha.

sg4runner said:

Just picked up my car that was shipped from San Francisco to Philly. I used DAS (Dependable auto shippers). They were pretty good. The car was on time, and with their full coverage insurance, the total cost was $850.

Doctobee said:
Just picked up my car that was shipped from San Francisco to Philly. I used DAS (Dependable auto shippers). They were pretty good. The car was on time, and with their full coverage insurance, the total cost was $850.

I'm going to drop off my car on Wednesday at one of DAS's major shipping terminals; did they quote you 21 days? That's the only thing that I didn't like about working with them.

Edit: I just called DAS and the person in Sales told me that I would get a $100 discount because there's a special going on for people shipping their cars from the West Coast to the East Coast. I did the terminal-to-terminal option. So if anyone is going to do the same, call them up, and ask about the deal; it's worth a try! Total cost, with Valuation charge = $707.

I'm feeling much more amenable about the 21-day shipping time now, haha.

sierra89 said:
I'm going to drop off my car on Wednesday at one of DAS's major shipping terminals; did they quote you 21 days? That's the only thing that I didn't like about working with them.

Edit: I just called DAS and the person in Sales told me that I would get a $100 discount because there's a special going on for people shipping their cars from the West Coast to the East Coast. I did the terminal-to-terminal option. So if anyone is going to do the same, call them up, and ask about the deal; it's worth a try! Total cost, with Valuation charge = $707.

I'm feeling much more amenable about the 21-day shipping time now, haha.

Thanks for the info, guys. I, too, ended up going with DAS. I just dropped my car off at the terminal today... it's nice to know you were happy with their service, doctobee. It was more expensive for me since I chose expedited shipping, but I need my car asap and this way I'll get it in 12 days or less (or so they say).

i just got an apt at the empirian luxury towers. is anybody else living there?

Hey whats up future classmates,

I am going to be going to DrexelMed in the fall with you all. I went to school in SUNY Albany and then did a year of research at Weill Cornell. I have been already at Drexel for a month or so doing a research rotation (for the MD/PhD program). I found a sweet place at Queen Lane Manor apts... even though its a half block from the school I am so lazy that I drive my car to and from campus every day :)

lookin' forward to orientation

What is everyone doing for alternative loans (private loans)? I got my award and Im about 10+ grand short. The Drexel website has this medloans alternative loans program and also has a citibank option. Also, if anyone has a better 3rd option id love to know. Thanks everyone.

PAPPAPPAP said:
What is everyone doing for alternative loans (private loans)? I got my award and Im about 10+ grand short. The Drexel website has this medloans alternative loans program and also has a citibank option. Also, if anyone has a better 3rd option id love to know. Thanks everyone.

Just my .02 advice on alternative loans: If you don't go with what drexel recommends in terms of the lender (medloans or citibank), you're going to have to keep on the tails of the finacial aid office. For some reason, they just have ten times more problems dealing with other lenders for no obvious reason. IF you know this ahead of time, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Just keep on them, get your paperwork in, double check its in, and just stop in every so often and ask, 'is all my stuff ok? is everything filled out that needs to be? do i need to do anything else? etc' I know a few classmates used T.H.E. loans because they have less fees, but didn't get their loan checks on time. Just keep on their tails, smile when you talk to Genesis even though you'd like to strangle her, and you should be fine!

PAPPAPPAP said:

I just went with Medloans because I had heard that the Drexel Fin Aid office always has problems with the other loan companies. I took out the full budget this year 'cause I wasn't sure, but hopefully I won't have to take the full amount out every year!

Another question...do you guys know how late we can get fitted on-campus for the white coat? I want to do it in person instead of filling out the form online, but I can't make it until Monday at the earliest. Do you know if that's too late to get it? They never specified a date.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in 12 ( :eek: ) days!

GO.

This is the primary way I met anyone in my class. This goes double for future PIL-ers, considering you never see them agian in school for the most part.

Hey all! was just accepted off the waitlist into Drexel earlier this week! Applyin to the PIL program to see if I can get in that :D Was definitely sweating it when I didn't hear for so long, but now that i've gone and done the white coat fitting, etc. it feels like everything's actually falling into place. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Undergrad: Franklin & Marshall College
Graduate: University of Delaware

bump, IMO Drexel should be on top.

:love:

inferno said:
i just got an apt at the empirian luxury towers. is anybody else living there?

I'm not from Philly so I'm now staying with a friend who lives in Empirian. I don't plan to rent here! :eek: Right now I'm looking for a smaller building (not a tower).

sierra89 said:
I'm not from Philly so I'm now staying with a friend who lives in Empirian. I don't plan to rent here! :eek: Right now I'm looking for a smaller building (not a tower).

try the queen lane manor apts.... its on the corner of queen lane and wissahickon and its a relatively small 4 story building with about 40 1 bedroom/studio units in it

i live there and like it

anyone going to live in school lane house? i'm just curious because i'll be moving in this saturday. also, if anyone wants to go out this sat or sun night, let me know. i'm not from philly but it would be nice to explore a little bit. it's hard to believe that we have less than a week before med school starts. i dont' know about u guys/girls, but i'm getting very nervous about school starting. nevertheless, i look forward to meeting all you

rayzer said:
anyone going to live in school lane house? i'm just curious because i'll be moving in this saturday. also, if anyone wants to go out this sat or sun night, let me know. i'm not from philly but it would be nice to explore a little bit. it's hard to believe that we have less than a week before med school starts. i dont' know about u guys/girls, but i'm getting very nervous about school starting. nevertheless, i look forward to meeting all you

whats up dude... i'm gonna be living down the block from you at queen lane manor apts....

I'd be down to go out saturday night... i actually might be already going out with my cousin's friend who is a 4th year... you're definitely welcome to join

PM me

(if anyone else in the class wants to come out... the more the merryer)

Hi everyone

I am an Advanced Standing DMD student at Penn Dental School. I have finished dental school in India and worked in my dad's office for a year. In order to get a license here,we have to get a DDS/DMD degree. On the basis of my foreign dental degree I join directly at the 3rd year. The majority of my 2 years will be spent in treating patients.

If any of you need dental treatment at any point of time or know any one who does, you are most welcome to contact me.

sierra89 said:

wow it seems like people generally dont like this place. is there something about it i should know? (strangely, i liked it the best - better than alden and school lane!!) i am getting a little nervous about school as well but i am def. looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

I posted this as a new thread in the allopathic forum so sorry for the repeat... just wanted to make sure everyone saw it:

Me, another person in c/o 2009 and a 4th year (and maybe some others) are going to go out tonight (probably to either Manayunk or Old city bars... if anyone else just got to philly and would like to join us please PM me.... its a great opportunity to meet people even before orientation starts

either way, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you during orientation :D

just got back from "night out on the town".... only one soldier showed up.... was fun as hell.... manayunk mayhem... hopefully its a precursor of what lies ahead (ignoring the studying aspect of medical school of course)