Drexel DPMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All DPMS Applicants would have their decisions by wednesday latest because the Amcas application opens on June 1 for submission and drexel needs to sign that contract where you cant apply to any medical schools while enrolled in the dpms program

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All DPMS Applicants would have their decisions by wednesday latest because the Amcas application opens on June 1 for submission and drexel needs to sign that contract where you cant apply to any medical schools while enrolled in the dpms program
Hell yeah
:claps:

Honestly y'all need a better way to manage your stress. How do you expect to handle pressure when you are caring for your patients in a potential life or
Honestly y'all need a better way to manage your stress. How do you expect to handle pressure when you are caring for your patients in a potential life or death scenario?
By someone who's been accepted into another program and for the love of God stop comparing everything to patient care. Such a poor comparison. I'm pretty sure some people on here do not have a 2nd option like you do so allow them to express their interest and I'm sure you are not all that great in handling stress. Anyways, Good morning folks, any update??:annoyed:
Honestly y'all need a better way to manage your stress. How do you expect to handle pressure when you are caring for your patients in a potential life or death scenario?
By someone who's been accepted into another program and for the love of God stop comparing everything to patient care. Such a poor comparison. I'm pretty sure some people on here do not have a 2nd option like you do so allow them to express their interest and I'm sure you are not all that great in handling stress. Anyways, Good morning folks, any update??:annoyed:

Nope. There is no deadline for the acceptance, they can hand it out on June 7th if they want. If you already apply and sign the contract, that's your mistake. Unfortunately, the wait time that this program is giving us is reflective of the amount of importance that they ascribe to this program and what's even worse is that I will be at their beck and call because i'm desperate.

Basically when you call they tell you they will email acceptances/rejections. I am surprised that people hear are claiming they are receiving phone calls for acceptances. Kind of time consuming for an admissions committee ?

Basically when you call they tell you they will email acceptances/rejections. I am surprised that people hear are claiming they are receiving phone calls for acceptances. Kind of time consuming for an admissions committee ?
dude no one is going to lie about getting a phone call.

That Facebook group for accepted people already has 8 members so I'm guessing a good number of acceptances went out on Friday :/

My friend was accepted via phone. The reason why folks are being called is because they're trying to be courteous to those who have to make major adjustments prior to starting the program (cross country move, resigning from a job, etc.). She said that they told her they have to send 1 email containing the contract, financial aid, and living arrangement info. So to give them time to get all of that together, they decided to call ppl first and send the all inclusive email soon after (which she hasn't received yet either).

That Facebook group for accepted people already has 8 members so I'm guessing a good number of acceptances went out on Friday :/
Most of them, if not all, are current DPMSers who have matriculated into the COM.
I called and was told that most acceptances would be sent via email all at once and that we should expect it either this week or next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of them, if not all, are current DPMSers who have matriculated into the COM.
I called and was told that most acceptances would be sent via email all at once and that we should expect it either this week or next week.
So much for 'we are trying to get the decisions made earlier this year so people have ample time to prepare and move.' ‍♂️

Next week?! Omgggg...I need to stop checking this thread until then haha T_T

Hey everybody, congrats on those who were accepted! I just finished DPMS and will be start at DUCoM this year. Im living in Philly and doing research for the summer so Im open to any questions about philly/DPMS/whatever.

Hey everybody, congrats on those who were accepted! I just finished DPMS and will be start at DUCoM this year. Im living in Philly and doing research for the summer so Im open to any questions about philly/DPMS/whatever.
Hey do u remember if the folks that got rejected in ur cohort heard after or around the same time as the people who got accepted?

I'm definitely losing it. I interviewed on March 25th and I really hope to hear something soon since I have to give my job two week's notice. I'll probably call tomorrow to find out more information.

You guys are truly the best! Wishing you luck!

Congrats to those who got in already!

Hey do u remember if the folks that got rejected in ur cohort heard after or around the same time as the people who got accepted?

Yeah, for the most part the rejections and acceptances can go out at the same time. The reason being that a lot of people applied to another program. I know they did some last second interviews, and they might again. They are also trying to have a much larger class this year than my year.

Yeah, for the most part the rejections and acceptances can go out at the same time. The reason being that a lot of people applied to another program. I know they did some last second interviews, and they might again. They are also trying to have a much larger class this year than my year.
Do you know how much larger?

Hey can u update us and let us know what they say when u call?

Roger that. As an update, the number to call is: 215-762-7125. This is Dr. Walker's office number.....although it appears she never actually there :shrug:

When I called, I spoke to a guy with a southern accent (I dont believe he gave his name), and he told me that he couldnt officially give me his status. I gave him my last name, and then was told that he didnt see anything there. A bit odd since i interviewed May 2nd, hmm. He then gave me Dr. Walker's number, who non-surprisingly didn't answer. I basically told her that I needed a decision asap and gave her my number. If i dont get a call by tomorrw, I'll be withdrawing my application. Good luck everybody! I'm pretty sure i already know what my decision will be :laugh:

Nope. There is no deadline for the acceptance, they can hand it out on June 7th if they want. If you already apply and sign the contract, that's your mistake. Unfortunately, the wait time that this program is giving us is reflective of the amount of importance that they ascribe to this program and what's even worse is that I will be at their beck and call because i'm desperate.
I think that's a little unfair to say that they don't care about the program. I applied via a regular admissions cycle and it's basically this same feeling spread over months. I actually think they get back to us fairly quickly, especially considering that everyone interviewed not too long ago.

I think that's a little unfair to say that they don't care about the program. I applied via a regular admissions cycle and it's basically this same feeling spread over months. I actually think they get back to us fairly quickly, especially considering that everyone interviewed not too long ago.
I didn't say they don't care per se. I was saying that the level of importance placed on the program is low. I applied in late Jan and I have yet to receive a decision. I heard back from every other program that I applied to in early April

Keep in mind that the program starts June 19th. Many of us are coming out of state. We will have to submit resignation letters for our workplace, finalize payments on our pre-existing lease, initiate a NEW lease in Philly, find some means to transport our belongings/furniture from A to Z, and not to mention the money to do so. What's worse, financial aid doesn't kick in until July the earliest. Not even regular decision applicants, get notified to attend one week in advance. You really need to look at all the factors surrounding the agitation of many applicants on this thread. It's not just the constant paranoia of "Did I get in? I must get in!!"

It's also the unfairness, in which this program simply expects students to prelare themselves for a drastic, life changing move in only ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE. Sorry but not sorry, I'm with everyone else on this one.

Also, it kind of sounds to me as if you were one of the applicants who got accepted to on Friday. Just ask yourself: are you really one to judge right now?

Keep in mind that the program starts June 19th. Many of us are coming out of state. We will have to submit resignation letters for our workplace, finalize payments on our pre-existing lease, initiate a NEW lease in Philly, find some means to transport our belongings/furniture from A to Z, and not to mention the money to do so. What's worse, financial aid doesn't kick in until July the earliest. Not even regular decision applicants, get notified to attend one week in advance. You really need to look at all the factors surrounding the agitation of many applicants on this thread. It's not just the constant paranoia of "Did I get in? I must get in!!"

It's also the unfairness, in which this program simply expects students to prelare themselves for a drastic, life changing move in only ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE. Sorry but not sorry, I'm with everyone else on this one.

Also, it kind of sounds to me as if you were one of the applicants who got accepted to on Friday. Just ask yourself: are you really one to judge right now?
No, actually I just matriculated into the med school from the DPMS program. So I had to do the same thing last year, find my security deposit from thin air, and move all my stuff from out-of-state as well. Literally everyone I know had to do something like that. It's the nature of the program and you are well aware by the interview phase. I didn't get my financial aid until the week before the Fall semester started. So I do understand the agitation because I actually did it.

I know of some people that have gotten off waitlists for med school the day before classes start. And considering that I have heard that housing is free for you guys (not sure though) for the summer semester it's actually much less pressure than any of us before had. I had to actually find a place to live ASAP because the dorms were a little out of my price range.

Do I acknowledge that the process must be frustrating? Of course it is. But don't say that they don't care about DPMS or that it's unfair when you are aware of the decisions you'll have to make. Start preparing as best as you can from right now.

From the med school point of view, there are other things that they are working on. We just heard back not too long ago and they are still finalizing their class. It's only as much of a scramble as you make it. If you really want it, you can make this happen.

Reactions: 4 users
No, actually I just matriculated into the med school from the DPMS program. So I had to do the same thing last year, find my security deposit from thin air, and move all my stuff from out-of-state as well. Literally everyone I know had to do something like that. It's the nature of the program and you are well aware by the interview phase. I didn't get my financial aid until the week before the Fall semester started. So I do understand the agitation because I actually did it.

I know of some people that have gotten off waitlists for med school the day before classes start. And considering that I have heard that housing is free for you guys (not sure though) for the summer semester it's actually much less pressure than any of us before had. I had to actually find a place to live ASAP because the dorms were a little out of my price range.

Do I acknowledge that the process must be frustrating? Of course it is. But don't say that they don't care about DPMS or that it's unfair when you are aware of the decisions you'll have to make. Start preparing as best as you can from right now.

From the med school point of view, there are other things that they are working on. We just heard back not too long ago and they are still finalizing their class. It's only as much of a scramble as you make it. If you really want it, you can make this happen.
I totally get your point of view and I appreciate you trying to smoothen things over. We also have to remember that these students are under so much pressure therefore we can't just interpret things very literally. Have patience people. I know it's hard but try and don't lose focus. Don't lose hope even though sometimes you have nothing to hang onto. Everyone's situation is not the same. I don't know what anyone on here is going through so I'll never be the one to shush anyone. Speak your mind but with respect (generally speaking).

I totally get your point of view and I appreciate you trying to smoothen things over. We also have to remember that these students are under so much pressure therefore we can't just interpret things very literally. Have patience people. I know it's hard but try and don't lose focus. Don't lose hope even though sometimes you have nothing to hang onto. Everyone's situation is not the same. I don't know what anyone on here is going through so I'll never be the one to shush anyone. Speak your mind but with respect (generally speaking).
Btw, this is not just directed to you but to everyone else..

I 100% agree with you. I don't intend to silence anyone and it's true that everyone has a unique situation. So if you have any questions I'm definitely here to answer them for you all and even when you're in the program I'll be here for support.

But one of the big reasons I'm posting is so that people know that DPMS is a great opportunity. I almost didn't apply because of all the bad things I read on SDN last year and I don't want anyone to miss out on something great. That's not to say that there aren't very legitimate criticisms.

Didn't mean to come across as callous and if I did, I sincerely apologize.

I 100% agree with you. I don't intend to silence anyone and it's true that everyone has a unique situation. So if you have any questions I'm definitely here to answer them for you all and even when you're in the program I'll be here for support.

But one of the big reasons I'm posting is so that people know that DPMS is a great opportunity. I almost didn't apply because of all the bad things I read on SDN last year and I don't want anyone to miss out on something great. That's not to say that there aren't very legitimate criticisms.

I agree with this. I almost didn't apply to DPMS because of the negative stuff on here, but I am very happy that I did. It sucks to not hear back, it sucks that it is all rushed, but thats just kinda how it is right now.

I agree with this. I almost didn't apply to DPMS because of the negative stuff on here, but I am very happy that I did. It sucks to not hear back, it sucks that it is all rushed, but thats just kinda how it is right now. The truth is that med schools in general, can do whatever they want, because there are way more applicants than available positions. It sucks, but its the field we are all going into

Portal just updated with my "unable to offer admission" message. Oh well. Good luck to the rest of you! Maybe we'll cross paths in a year from now!

Portal just updated with my "unable to offer admission" message. Oh well. Good luck to the rest of you! Maybe we'll cross paths in a year from now!

I am so sorry! I'm sure bigger and brighter things are in your future. Did you interview?

I interviewed May 18. From California. No phone call no email no portal update. Total silence.
My back up plan is MBS at Drexel so ill be there anyways but I really want DPMS!!!

If I dont hear by June 2nd, I will call. But this is the longest week of my life.

Well lovely people, I wish everyone the best of luck. I'm withdrawing my app today. I hope everyone hears positive news soon!!

lol someone call Dr. Walker Pls. I can't reach her. I'm very close to believing that they are done giving out acceptances and I have to finalize my work schedule this week:eyebrow:

lol someone call Dr. Walker Pls. I can't reach her. I'm very close to believing that they are done giving out acceptances and I have to finalize my work schedule this week:eyebrow:

How many people are in the facebook group?

Lol I should clarify. I'm actually just submitting a deposit to my other program, while mentally distancing myself from DPMS. Pretty certain I'm going to get a rejection anyway, so I'm just preparing for the inevitable.

Why do you say that?
No one has posted anything about acceptances since Friday

Lol I should clarify. I'm actually just submitting a deposit to my other program, while mentally distancing myself from DPMS. Pretty certain I'm going to get a rejection anyway, so I'm just preparing for the inevitable.
Oh ok Well don't press that withdraw button lol