refreshingred

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
Hi, just wondering if transferring into a gas position at DREXEL is smart, worth it, or just plain risky. I know that they did not participate in the match last year and they have been having some major financial difficulties. SO, If I start and the program goes belly-up or I find it's run horribly and a terrible program, then I would be stuck having to find a new program all over again . . . any advice please?

It's tight as hell for people like me trying to transfer into gas . . . so I'm wondering if this be my only opportunity should I take it and run with it, or hold back and see what happens at scramble time in March? :(

MAC10

A Pimp Named Slickback
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
Dont know much about Drexal, but unless they were about to lose accredidation I would take it. You are right CA-1 positions seem to be few and far between at this point. Ive got a friend who is freakin out right now about this. If you dont take it, then someone else will.

cak

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2004
Visit site
Status
I would also take the spot at Drexel if it is available. I know that there have been some financial concerns with Tenet, but I think Drexel itself is pretty stable. I don't think that they are in any immediate danger of losing any of their programs and to be able to switch to anesthesiology from what you're doing now is well worth the risk. I also applied to Drexel when I decided to switch but I had already accepted a spot at Temple when they offered me an interview, otherwise I would have gone.
And even if they run into trouble while you are a resident there, I'm sure they would help you find a spot somewhere else and not leave you to fend for yourself. You could also take a year off if the uncertainty is unbearable to you, but I would go for it!
Good luck!

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Dr. Hardie is a cool dude. The situation last year had to do with Tenet, and has nothing to do with the program itself. I think you'd do just fine there. There are no major issues in the gas program, except that you have to do a SICU month in St. Louis... all expenses paid!

-Skip