Drexel Interview Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dream2675

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have invite to interview at Drexel and I scheduled the interview for next week...It's my first interview, and I'm getting a little nervous about it...:scared: Does anyone who has already interviewed there have any advice for me as to what I should expect? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My interview there last year was really conversational, with open ended questions.

Just lead the interview where you want it to go. If they ask you a few things about yourself, mention some of your hobbies, past-times, where you grew up, maybe a few things you want them to ask you about. Also, be prepared to answer the typical questions:
"why medicine?"
"What do you want to do with medicine"
"why will you be a good doctor"

My interviewer was very straightforward. If you're worried, see if you can't schedule a quick mock interview at your school's advising/career center, and also, browse the interview feedback for questions and experiences at Drexel.

One thing that really helps me is to come up with a list of experiences that can substantiate certain qualities or thoughts I may have. Then I try and organize some key points, concepts, ideas I want to bring up for each question and just run with it. I suck at verbal organization without some practice, so I try to organize myself with a point form outline on paper. Then I practice in front of the mirror, giving myself a certain amount of time to answer the question.

Most people, say just be yourself, but I know how disastrous things can go if I don't prepare...I don't know if any of what I said above is helpful, but one of the best things you can do is go over different possible questions they can ask you and try and figure out which questions make you nervous or uncomfortable and spend a bit of time trying to come up with answers or ideas for those questions. If you think you have a weak area...work and it and maybe try practicing either alone or with a friend who has already been on an interview...

Best of luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview there last year was really conversational, with open ended questions.

Just lead the interview where you want it to go. If they ask you a few things about yourself, mention some of your hobbies, past-times, where you grew up, maybe a few things you want them to ask you about. Also, be prepared to answer the typical questions:
"why medicine?"
"What do you want to do with medicine"
"why will you be a good doctor"

My interviewer was very straightforward. If you're worried, see if you can't schedule a quick mock interview at your school's advising/career center, and also, browse the interview feedback for questions and experiences at Drexel.

One thing that really helps me is to come up with a list of experiences that can substantiate certain qualities or thoughts I may have. Then I try and organize some key points, concepts, ideas I want to bring up for each question and just run with it. I suck at verbal organization without some practice, so I try to organize myself with a point form outline on paper. Then I practice in front of the mirror, giving myself a certain amount of time to answer the question.

Most people, say just be yourself, but I know how disastrous things can go if I don't prepare...I don't know if any of what I said above is helpful, but one of the best things you can do is go over different possible questions they can ask you and try and figure out which questions make you nervous or uncomfortable and spend a bit of time trying to come up with answers or ideas for those questions. If you think you have a weak area...work and it and maybe try practicing either alone or with a friend who has already been on an interview...

Best of luck!!!

Awesome, thanks so much for the quick response! All of that is very helpful...One more thing, the interview feedback for questions/experiences at Drexel that you mentioned, would that be at my school's career services office? Or is there already a forum for that on SDN?

For those that have interviewed at Drexel, how was your day organized? Were the interviews at the end of the day? I am interviewing there this week. Hope it's not too cold! Thanks for the feedback.

So, I have invite to interview at Drexel and I scheduled the interview for next week...It's my first interview, and I'm getting a little nervous about it...:scared: Does anyone who has already interviewed there have any advice for me as to what I should expect? Thanks!

When were you complete?

As someone has already posted above, best thing is to look at the Drexel interview feedback on SDN. Most of the feedback indicates that they are "low stress" interviews. But, that appears to depend on the luck of the draw - i.e., who you get for your interview. Some people have had cakewalk interviews and others have had challenging questions thrown at them. So, prepare for the worst and you'll do fine.

I'm hoping to get an invite from Drexel. If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats and when were you complete?

Drexel was my first interview in mid october, and I was pretty nervous. The interviews were all honestly very laid back and trying to make you at ease. They really want to know that you are interested in Drexel, why, and what you think you could contribute to the class.
The day itself is a little unorganized, with the day beginning with a slideshow presentation from the director of admissions (very nice), and a tour of the campus. From then on (11-3), you have a faculty interview, at a random time in there, and a student interview over lunch in the cafeteria. During the unscheduled time the interviewees just hang out in the conference room.
I wish i had known that it is easily accessible by the R8 regional rail - the queen lane stop (www.septa.org), and it is easy and quite cheap.
I was complete mid august. Hope this helps!

Thanks Halabama - you were right, the faculty interview was not stressful. All of the questions were straightforward (tell me about yourself, what is your experience in medicine, etc). 8-9 other interviewees were there when I went - very friendly group! A 1st year student gave the tour and my student interviewer was a 2nd year student. They talked a lot about their 2 different curricular tracks - IFM (faculty-driven) and PIL (student-driven). I really liked the school - now the toughest part is waiting to hear back....

(I was complete late-September).