Drexel Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osselot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed nobody's posted any feedback yet for this year's batch of Drexel interviews... I'll be there next Tuesday ( :D ) and am wondering what to expect... my first interview!

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

osselot said:
I noticed nobody's posted any feedback yet for this year's batch of Drexel interviews... I'll be there next Tuesday ( :D ) and am wondering what to expect... my first interview!

Thanks...

Don't worry- it's pretty low stress. I got asked what kind of doctor I saw myself as, and "if you had a patient who wouldnt go along with your diagnosis, what would you do" Everyone was really nice.

Be mentally prepared for a tour of the gross anatomy labs, complete with student tour guide rummaging through body while touting drexel. Needless to say, I missed whatever the message was in that section of the tour.

unfrozencaveman said:
Be mentally prepared for a tour of the gross anatomy labs, complete with student tour guide rummaging through body while touting drexel. Needless to say, I missed whatever the message was in that section of the tour.

:laugh: :laugh:
was that before or after lunch?

Members don't see this ad :)
osselot said:
:laugh: :laugh:
was that before or after lunch?

Any recommendations on a place to stay while interviewing at Drexel ?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Presidential Ave. It's pretty close to the school and you get a discount if you mention that you are interviewing at Drexel.

osselot said:

Thanks...

Monday was their first day of interviews so it's no surprise that no one has posted yet. I'm sure things are similar to last year though, so read up on that stuff and you'll be fine.

I've had three interviews so far, and Drexel was BY FAR the most relaxed. The powerpoint lecture on the history of Drexel was SUCH a bore... I almost fell asleep, especially because the room was so hot!!

The tour by Kevin was awesome... he showed us the cadavers, which was really cool... the best tour I've gone on yet.

Otherwise, the student interview was relaxed as well... you get $6 to spend, so get whatever you want, plus more... faculty is really relaxed as well and more like a conversation. Just relax. The only negative thing was that I had to wait 1.5 hours for my interview with nothing to do, so if bringing a book might not be a bad idea.

Peruse through the Interview Feedback... every single question I was asked was there.

Haha yeah that room they put us in was hot. Thankfully I didn't sit around waiting for my interview for more than 5-10 minutes, but it still sucked.

Guys,

I went to Drexel's website, but I dont think I really understand what the difference is between their two programs. IFM and PBL. Do they talk about this during the interview? I have a feeling they may ask me something about it, and i wouldnt really know how to answer. Based on their website, they seem very similar with clinical cases presented along with hard science. Anyone know anything about this?

beponychick said:
Guys,

I went to Drexel's website, but I dont think I really understand what the difference is between their two programs. IFM and PBL. Do they talk about this during the interview? I have a feeling they may ask me something about it, and i wouldnt really know how to answer. Based on their website, they seem very similar with clinical cases presented along with hard science. Anyone know anything about this?

They explain it fully in the presentation in drexel. What you dont know now, you will definitely learn there. Basically they run two parallel curriculums- one problem based taught in small groups, the other lecture based, in large lecture halls. They seem to have equal success on board scores. But, you pick a track- either the PIL or the IFM and stick to it for your four years.

unfrozencaveman said:
They explain it fully in the presentation in drexel. What you dont know now, you will definitely learn there. Basically they run two parallel curriculums- one problem based taught in small groups, the other lecture based, in large lecture halls. They seem to have equal success on board scores. But, you pick a track- either the PIL or the IFM and stick to it for your four years.

Yeah...although actually a few people do switch around in the beginning of the year, you're pretty much stuck with your choice for the duration. But I'm not sure if there's really a difference after the first 2 years. Supposedly a few years back there was a dip in the PIL board scores, so they started including multiple choice as well as essays on their tests and they've picked back up. The two programs are actually quite separate; while they are in the same place, the students don't seem to interact all that much. IFM students go to lecture and lab most of the day, while PIL students have case-based small groups, self-directed learning, and labs. IFM is organ systems based, and the "modules", or test blocks, are loosely based on a clincal condition; e.g. one module is called Shortness of Breath. In each module they learn the anatomy, histology, biochem, etc., that is associated with that particular organ system, e.g. the lungs. Their courses last most of the year, as opposed to the 12 or so week blocks of courses that many med schools have. Personally I love the curriculum. They also hand out a set of notes for the entire module before it starts, and they aren't just powerpoint slides for most lectures, they're actually written notes. Plus, of course, lectures are videotaped and available as video+audio online that night.

My interview there is next Friday.

Good luck with your interview and hopefully they'll have the AC in that room cranking real high by the time you get there.

I interviewed at Drexel yesterday, and my opinions are in line with everyone else's here. I really liked that they offer two curricula, each of which caters to a different learning style. Their facilities are also very nice, and even though they're not in a perfectly safe part of town, all it would take is a little common sense to be trouble free.

This whole application process is rather odd/frustrating. Each school is different in ways that cater to different people, but at the same time, it's so difficult to get accepted anywhere that not many applicants actually have a choice as to where they will matriculate. I hope to be lucky enough to have a choice, but even if I didn't, would it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
unfrozencaveman said:

You can switch from one to another, though there are deadlines you have to abide by. Also, you don't stick with it for four years. They are only 2 year programs, then everyone is reunited for the clinical stuff.

even though they're not in a perfectly safe part of town, all it would take is a little common sense to be trouble free.

It's a major freakin city. Be glad it's not Temple.

Yeah, I think the Drexel Queen Lane campus is in a very safe area, especially compared to most of the rest of Philadelphia.

tigress said:
Yeah, I think the Drexel Queen Lane campus is in a very safe area, especially compared to most of the rest of Philadelphia.

I was pretty shocked when my student interviewer told me she had to adjust to living in such an urban environment. East Falls seemed VERY suburban to me- you are DEFINITELY not downtown, by any stretch of the imagination.

VPDcurt said:
I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Presidential Ave. It's pretty close to the school and you get a discount if you mention that you are interviewing at Drexel.
I spoke with another interviewer who had a horrible time there because the walls were so thin.

About the interview: it seemed too relaxed. My faculty interview was one of those "you seem like a fine candidate, now let me tell you about the school/medical profession" interviews. I'm not sure he learned something about me that would lead him to be my advocate during the admissions meetings.

woooohooo! Just got the interview invite!

My question is, how flexible are they as far as the week of the day they interview? Do they usually interview Mondays? I'll call'em on Monday to confirm it anyway.

gluon999 said:

My question is, how flexible are they as far as the week of the day they interview? Do they usually interview Mondays? I'll call'em on Monday to confirm it anyway.

They interview any day of the week you want. I'm going next Friday.

tigress said:

I am interviewing there on Monday. Do you know when we should be getting an answer from them regarding acceptances/waitlists and such?

tigress said:

you're going on the 30th? hehe congrats :)

beponychick said:
I am interviewing there on Monday. Do you know when we should be getting an answer from them regarding acceptances/waitlists and such?
They'll tell you at the interview. About 6-8 weeks.

beponychick said:

THIS MONDAY! if so, i'll see you there!!! :)

beponychick said:

wow, how'd you get such an early interview?? i got that strange interview e-mail (about the mistake in the snail mail letter) the same time as you and, when i called to schedule my interview, the earliest they had was oct 17! pretty crazy. they must have sent out a lot of invites in that batch.

Nas23 said:
For those with interviews, how soon after getting the postcard from Drexel saying your application is complete, did you get your interviews?

my invite was dated about 3 weeks after i received the complete notification.

someperson said:
I spoke with another interviewer who had a horrible time there because the walls were so thin.

About the interview: it seemed too relaxed. My faculty interview was one of those "you seem like a fine candidate, now let me tell you about the school/medical profession" interviews. I'm not sure he learned something about me that would lead him to be my advocate during the admissions meetings.

my student interviewer was really nice, my faculty interviewer was nice too, but there was a bit of dead air around the end of the interview. the other student who had the same interviewer said the same thing tho'. if you get uncomfortable with dead air, just think of tons of questions to ask before you get to the interview. i wasn't asked anything about why drexel/med/healthcare solving, but i wasn't really asked about my hobbies or things outside of my research/academic/clinical experience. and i was asked why i chose my undergraduate school....

C.P. Jones said:
THIS MONDAY! if so, i'll see you there!!! :)

Really??? I'll see you there C.P. (although i dont know what you look like) any distinguishing features? :D

medstylee said:
wow, how'd you get such an early interview?? i got that strange interview e-mail (about the mistake in the snail mail letter) the same time as you and, when i called to schedule my interview, the earliest they had was oct 17! pretty crazy. they must have sent out a lot of invites in that batch.

Really? That is weird. Did you call the same day? I called right away and they told me that the first week was all booked so i can pick any day after. They seemed to have a lot of time open. I'M sorry. But October 17th is not that bad. It is still very early. Vermont scheduled me for middle of November! :rolleyes:

oh... i just got an interview invite. JUST now in the mail!!!

edit: yippee! :love:

Joonie said:
oh... i just got an interview invite. JUST now in the mail!!!

Mind saying when you were complete?

gluon999 said:

Mind saying when you were complete, havent heard anything and been complete over a month...

BOBODR said:
Mind saying when you were complete?

i sent my application with a personal check instead of money order which caused them to take a long time to process. i sent it in 8/22. i called them last week, 9/21 (i think) for an interview invitation and was, understandably, turned down with much irritation, which made me very afraid for my application. but today i get an invite by snail mail dated 9/19.

so the short answer to your question is, i dunno.

beponychick said:
Really??? I'll see you there C.P. (although i dont know what you look like) any distinguishing features? :D

i'll be the one in the suit. oh, and very handsome

drexel interviewed 1400 people last year. thats a LOT. discuss...
-mota

Yep, that's a ton alright. They also got some 9,000 applicants overall. It seems that a number of schools interview roughly 10x the size of their entering classes, while others stick to 2x or 3x.

It is safe to assume that a lot of people who get accepted to Drexel don't matriculate there (I don't know anyone whose top choice is Drexel). That probably explains why they interview so many people. I figure, if their entering class size is 226, then they must accept at least 450 people. Can any one with access to US News verify this?

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 7,982 1,729 884 226
In-state: 901 344 240 74
Out-of-state: 7,081 1,385 644 152

Overeducated said:
Total: 7,982 1,729 884 226
In-state: 901 344 240 74
Out-of-state: 7,081 1,385 644 152

Are these numbers accurate? I thought Drexel was a private school. How does it have such a high in-state acceptace rate after interview (70%)?

Also, does anyone have similar statistics for NYMC?

Thanks.

singh0113 said:
Are these numbers accurate? I thought Drexel was a private school. How does it have such a high in-state acceptace rate after interview (70%)?

Also, does anyone have similar statistics for NYMC?

Thanks.
Some private schools do still favor in-state--it's just less common.

Here's NYMC:
Total: 7,065 1,310 682 185
In-state: 1,341 340 176 58
Out-of-state: 5,724 970 506 127