Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Drexel interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kaos, Oct 9, 2002.

1. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay, here's my dilemma:

Yesterday I got the invite to interview @ Drexel. They want me to come in within the next two weeks if I can. I live in D.C. What's my best way of getting there? Amtrak? And can I do it all in one day--come in very early, leave after 5:00 p.m.? I have two choices of scheduling days--Monday the 21st, the day before my biochem midterm, or monday the 28th, when I have less to do, but later in the interview cycle.

What should I do? :confused:

Note: this would be my first time in Philly ever!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

A week at this point in the application cycle won't make any difference. I can't give you any advice about how to get there, but I recommend going the night before and staying with a student. Are you also applying to Jefferson? Last year I was able to get my interview there coordinated with my MCPH (Drexel) interview.

4. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, just Drexel. Thanks a lot for the advice!

:)

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dc to philly and back? if you drive it, its only a hair over two hours one way (if you leave at a non rush hour time).

otherwise, amtrak is the best way to go. Look up their Acela Express train, it takes 1 3/4 hours to get from union station in DC to 30th street station in philly (45 bucks one way, no reservation needed) . you could either take a bus, which you could find out from www.septa.org (philly's transit line) the exact route, or take a cab (30th street station isn't far from drexel, traffic notwithstanding, right off of I 76) hope that helps

6. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, thanks! Lots of details! :clap:

7. ttac

ttac Trust me, it's still fun.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kaos,
    I definitely recommend staying with a student. I'm a first year at Drexel and not only did the host program save me money, but it was also nice to be able to ask questions in advance of interview day.

As far as the student interview goes, it should be pretty laid back. I've already done one, and I'm doing another tomorrow, and essentially all they want us to do is to evaluate the person in the standard non-cognitive ways...(i.e. would they fit in well with the class, how is their motivation for medicine, etc).

As a fellow SDN'er, I'd offer to student interview you, but I don't think I would be able to be unbiased :)

Good luck with the interview!
    -ttac

8. medicine2006

medicine2006 Happy Pisces
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Although 30th Street station is only four-five blocks away from Drexel, the college of medicine itself is not part of the main campus. If you are gonna stay the night with a host or hotel you might want to look into Greyhound. It takes longer 3.25-5.5 hours depending on how many stops the bus takes. Roundtrip should cost you 40 bucks as oppose to 90+ with Amtrak. I know because I am in DC now and last year I was in Philly and had to take a trip to DC for my interview. Goodluck they are nice people.

9. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definitely the 28th - heck, I interviewed there *April 15th* of this year and was accepted. :D I can't imagine it making any real difference. If your interview begins around 8 AM, I really don't think I'd risk trying to arrive on time the same day (but you'll only need to stay overnight once, the night before).

If you don't stay with a student, the Holiday Inn on Presidential/City Line Ave would be a good place (assuming they still have the special rate). They'll transport you to the school and back on interview day! :) Amtrak's the best way to arrive, and it's not too expensive a cab ride (around $15-20) if you don't want to figure out the public transportation.

btw, if you're not assigned an interviewer at Hahnemann hospital you might want to check it out on your own if time permits, just to get a feel for the place. That's something I wished I had been able to do when choosing between Drexel and Temple.

Good luck, and don't be too discouraged if the interview's not perfect - I had the Assistant Dean of Admissions (!!!) and there were some rough spots, so I thought I'd blown it. :p

10. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Awh, thanks a lot everybody! I think I'll schedule for the 28th, because there's too much going on the week before (exams, etc.). I also think I'll do the Amtrak thing--go the morning of, return in the evening.

Thanks again! :clap:

11. Barbara

Barbara Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello Kaos,

let's put a smile on your face and focus on your interview and biochem midterm.

If you need a safe and clean place near Drexel, there is one I know about called Divine Tracy Hotel. You can walk to Drexel (about 5 min). Also, their rates are very inexpensive for the students. Check it out by calling
    215-382-4310.

I might be staying there while taking EK class in Philli. A friend of mine will check out this place today and I will let you know. All right?

Carla

P.S. Anyone knows Divine Tracy Hotel? Please let us know how it is.

12. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    barbara to clarify, i think you may be misunderstanding.

drexel's main campus and drexel med are NOT within walking distance of each other. drexel u is closer to UPenn west of 30th street station on market street in west philly, and would be close to this hotel you speak of.

drexel MED/the artist formerly known as MCP hannehmann is in East Falls, north of 30th street across the schyulkill river ( i still cant spell that word), which is, again, maybe a 15 dollar cab ride on 76 or a bus or two away.

greyhound will take you to eighth and market, probably a 20 dollar cabe ride tops to east falls, or you can figure out a SEPTA route.

just dont want you wandering around west philly looking for you med school interview :)

13. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    kaos - are you sure about coming in the same day (again, assuming your schedule begins early morning?) It's almost two hours from DC, plus there's always the real chance of Amtrak being delayed (when I went to Temple from NYC, my train was about 20 min late). Also don't assume the cab driver will know the exact way to Queen Lane! :) Have some directions on hand, just in case.

But I do recall the actual interviews not being till much later (we had talks by the admissions secretary and associate dean followed by a tour of the school), so it won't kill you if you're a little behind. I guess it comes down to whether or not you're enough of a morning person to leave your place between 5-6 AM! Again, best of luck. :)

14. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    btw - Queen Lane station is on the R8 regional rail route (direction Chestnut Hill West). You can take it from 30th St. station, Suburban station (17th and JFK) or Market East station (8th and Market). But I'm not sure if Drexel is within easy walking distance from that stop, and it's a residential suburb area so hailing a cab would be tough. There's probably some Septa bus that goes down the street though...

15. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    any suggestions for those flying in? i.e. which airport. how to get to the school from the airport, etc. thanks!

16. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmmm...I suppose there are two airports in the Philly area, but you probably want to fly into the bigger one, unless you get an awesome fare for the other one.

-RA

17. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe it's called Philadelphia International (airport code PHI?) There's a direct R1 regional rail connection to the center city stations I named above, and a sort of semi-private bus called Lady Liberty (which basically picks up a couple of passengers at a time and takes them to wherever their destinations are). Otherwise just take a cab - a bit pricey but it shouldn't break the bank either.