Drexel MLAS or VTech BMVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubscout412

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking on here for a while, but this is my first time posting! So I found out last week that I was accepted to Drexel's masters of laboratory animal science program. I'm super psyched, because my end goal is vet school and I really need a masters program to boost my gpa (which is pretty low). I hope to apply to vet school next year (after having a year of masters program grades to show), and hopefully start in 2016.

That being said, I am currently a VA resident, but I fear I might lose this precious residency by doing a program in PA for 2 years, and I know how much preference VMRCVM puts on IS applicants. I was just researching VTech's programs, and they have a biomedical and veterinary science masters program (BMVS). I don't know much about this program, and didnt even know it existed, but I was wondering if anyone has done this program and used it as a GPA booster and gotten into vet school? Can anyone speak to which program might be better? I like the idea of going to school in phily, as I've been in VA for 3 years, and moving to philly would allow me to be closer to my family and friends, but again, am worried about losing VA residency.

Any insight/info/help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that would cause you to lose your VA residency is if you actively switched it yourself. So long as you are a registered va voter, hold a va drivers license and list va as your state of residence on your taxes you should be fine. I lived in Utah for the past two years but kept my residency in VA and I was accepted to VMRCVM this year as in state. I did have to send Joyce paperwork to prove my residency but it was very simple. I even took a pre-req at the University of Utah, so going to a school out of state is fine. You would need to pay out of state tuition however, but I even used my receipt for payment of out of state tuition to U of Utah to further prove my VA residency.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Yup, like Immulreany said, you won't lose your residency unless you switch it yourself. I'm a VA resident myself though I haven't actually lived there in about 6 years - I did my undergrad in new york, a masters in London, and now I'm living in Dublin and had applied to VMRCVM as an IS candidate this year.

So if you're really interested in doing the Drexel program, and the main thing holding you back is the residency issue, don't worry about it and just go forward with the Drexel program. Especially since you're already accepted - you may have to wait another year to apply to the VT program if they've stopped accepting applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I went to VMRCVM for vet school and am now in the BMVS program getting my PhD. So far I like the program and it seems relatively well-organized. BMVS students can take some vet school classes for credit as well, which is nice - I remember several of my classes that had a scattering of grad students in them. Mostly the less-clinical ones like Immunology, Virology, etc (as opposed to Surgery). However, if you've already been accepted to Drexel, are very excited about it, and would like to go there and can keep your residency, I echo what the others have said. Good luck in your decision

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the input everyone! you've all been very helpful:)

fingers crossed for VMRCVM in 2016!