Drexel MSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it is good to be early with the MSP program. When I was there, the admission people had to slow down the admissions process as they wanted to give some late-comers a chance. The application pool is becoming more competitive as medical school admissions are selecting students with more life experience, research, etc. Therefore, more candidates are coming to post-Bacc programs

That being said, your application will not get lost. I would send a "follow-up" email/letter in a month to make sure that your file is complete.

Best of luck. The program did amazing things for me. It is tough and IMS is is even harder... so be prepared for 2 years of work. They ease you into the start of MSP, then it picks up.

PM me with any questions... now, or in the future.
-WISC-ite

Members don't see this ad.

I just mailed my application for the MSP prorgram yesterday for the upcoming Fall. Does anyone know if it helps to have sent the application in early? Or when they start looking at applications? I hope mine doesn't get lost in a file somewhere because I applied too early... Any advice would be appreciated. Can anyone accepted to last year's program offer any insights? Thanks in advance.

I have also sent out my application (last week) and I can tell you that you are not too early. Last year I applied to this program but I applied late (May) and didn't interview until mid-June because they had sooo many applications during the months of April-June. I was waitlisted and then rejected because the class was pretty much filled by the time I applied. This year I figured the earlier the better. I would call in about two weeks to make sure that your application is complete, i.e. all your transcripts and LOR are in (I had to re-send my transcripts last year because they didn't get them so that held up the review of my app.). Good Luck! :luck:

PlAnEjaNe

I have also sent out my application (last week) and I can tell you that you are not too early. Last year I applied to this program but I applied late (May) and didn't interview until mid-June because they had sooo many applications during the months of April-June. I was waitlisted and then rejected because the class was pretty much filled by the time I applied. This year I figured the earlier the better. I would call in about two weeks to make sure that your application is complete, i.e. all your transcripts and LOR are in (I had to re-send my transcripts last year because they didn't get them so that held up the review of my app.). Good Luck! :luck:

PlAnEjaNe

Thanks, good luck to you too. Maybe we'll be classmates! Do you mind telling me what your stats are? You can PM me. Mine are very low, so I just want to know how I stack up. Thanks again. I'll give them a call in a couple of weeks.:luck: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything yet....it's been two weeks since I have been complete so I was just wondering if anyone else was still waiting to hear anything :sleep: :sleep:

PlAnEjaNe :luck:

I haven't heard anything at all. They did tell me that they don't have my MCAT scores or 2 transcripts that have already been sent!!!:(

My application is complete as of last week. The girl said they would prob review it within the next week, but that doesn't mean much to me.

G'luck to everyone :luck: - hopefully some of us SDNers will be MSPers in the fall! btw, I like the new SDN look. :thumbup:

I got a VM on my cell phone today from Drexel asking me to call them back....i hope it is for an interview!!! *E*E* :clap: :D

Did anyone else hear from them?

I got a VM on my cell phone today from Drexel asking me to call them back....i hope it is for an interview!!! *E*E* :clap: :D

Did anyone else hear from them?

Congratulations!!! Let us know when you find out. I bet it is an interview. :D I called them again today and they still say they are missing 2 transcripts and my MCAT which I have sent twice now. I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Congrats again. Hoping for the best for you. :luck:

That is so frustrating about your MCAT scores and transcripts. Have you tried called the MCAT people? or the schools where the transcripts are coming from?
:luck:

So, now I am just playing phone tag with the person that left me the message. AHH! They won't tell me anything! The woman just said that the guy that called me has some questions to ask me (??). Maybe there is something wrong w/my application? :confused: :scared: :eek:

So, now I am just playing phone tag with the person that left me the message. AHH! They won't tell me anything! The woman just said that the guy that called me has some questions to ask me (??). Maybe there is something wrong w/my application? :confused: :scared: :eek:

That stinks. I hope you get some good news soon. If they want to ask you questions, I bet it's about an interview. I can't imagine them calling you for any other reason seeing as how they told you that your file was complete. Don't worry, I'm sure it's good news. :) :luck:
Meanwhile, I keep calling and they still don't have 2 transcripts, MCAT and 1 letter of recommendation, all of which I have personally found out were sent. Anyway, I re-sent the 2 transcripts today and will send the MCAT again today, for the 3rd time. Something just doesn't sound right to me. :( I'm afraid by the time they do get all the info it will be too late.
Anyone had an interview yet???

I re-sent the 2 transcripts today and will send the MCAT again today, for the 3rd time. Something just doesn't sound right to me. :( I'm afraid by the time they do get all the info it will be too late.

All of a sudden everything you sent is going to show up and your application is going to be complete x3, LOL. It doesn't sound right to me either. :confused: When you go to the AAMC website to check the status of your MCAT release, what does it say??
good luck! :luck:

Dr. Sumdae & Samkell-

Just print out a paper copy of your MCAT scores and send them. I've found that a lot of schools didn't have my mcat scores after I sent them through amcas multiple times...maybe those schools just don't check the website aamc uses to submit the scores, which is highly frustrating for us. As for transcripts, I'd try calling Drexel back to see if they have it now...They told me they didn't have any of my letters of rec, but when I called, they said I was complete. Maybe they are just slow...and if you think it's getting lost in the mail, maybe request a transcript to be sent or picked up directly by you and then you can personally mail it out.

I got a phone call from Drexel on the 21st too. It was to schedule a phone interview for the IMS program :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a phone call from Drexel on the 21st too. It was to schedule a phone interview for the IMS program :).

Ohhhh, yay. So, maybe they called me for an interview too. Maybe that is why I have to talk to the person who left me the message - he is prob the one who is going to interview me! G'luck w/your interview, 'science!!!! Let us know how it goes! :luck: :thumbup: :luck:

All of a sudden everything you sent is going to show up and your application is going to be complete x3, LOL. It doesn't sound right to me either. :confused: When you go to the AAMC website to check the status of your MCAT release, what does it say??
good luck! :luck:

The aamc website says it has been sent x3. It shows complete after each request. So I sent the transcripts again, and now I'll just hope for the best. I hate to just keep calling them, but they should have everything. Does anyone know who is the best person to talk to in their office? Maybe I should try asking for someone else. Thanks.

So I called the MSP office, turns out I have only been complete for about a week, maybe!!! Apparantly I had the same problem as you guys with the MCAT score release. I actually had to have my scores released 2x!! Oh well, at least now I am officially complete after calling and confirming today that they did, in fact, receive my scores. Hopefully I will get an interview soon :luck: :luck: I am getting nervous as they are starting to give out interviews this week. I am guessing they just got through the first batch since they only started to review the apps first week of Feb. so maybe I won't be left out after all!

PlAnEjaNe

Hey guys,
I need some serious help! I have called Drexel about 5 times. All of my materials have been sent. LOR sent 2 weeks ago, MCAT released to them 3 times and 2 transcripts resent last week (for the second time). I got the postcard saying they needed all these things, and every time I call, I get the same response. "We haven't received anything." Anyone know someone I could ask to speak with that may know more than the person who always answers the phone? I'm almost ready to give up- this is not a good sign of the organization of the school. Please help! :oops:
DrSumdae- did you ever get in touch with the person that called you? I really hope it was for an interview!

Dr. Sumdae & Samkell-

Just print out a paper copy of your MCAT scores and send them. I've found that a lot of schools didn't have my mcat scores after I sent them through amcas multiple times...maybe those schools just don't check the website aamc uses to submit the scores, which is highly frustrating for us. As for transcripts, I'd try calling Drexel back to see if they have it now...They told me they didn't have any of my letters of rec, but when I called, they said I was complete. Maybe they are just slow...and if you think it's getting lost in the mail, maybe request a transcript to be sent or picked up directly by you and then you can personally mail it out.

Good luck with your interview. Let us know how it goes. :luck: I actually did ask if I could send the MCAT any other way, and they said no, because they would not be official. :(

Samkell,
I called Drexel today too and I spoke with the lady who usually answers the phone - she said that the person who called me will definately call me back and that she doesn't know why he called me but she thought it was probably for an interview. She didn't know when he would be in, again, or when I might be expecting his call. He was the person I talked to when I found out they had not gotten my GRE scores yet (his name is Chris) and he was super helpful and nice, but like I said, I don't think he has a consistent schedule (I'm pretty sure he is a student).
My gut feeling with the admissions office is that they are understaffed and extremely busy.
I am baffled by your situation, though :confused: -
Hrm...:idea:
did you double check that the address that your LOR writers used was correct, maybe stuff is ending up in the wrong office? Do you know if anything was sent certified mail and/or has a tracking number?
Do you a a really common name like "Jen Smith" or something - maybe there is another applicant with the same name and your stuff is getting mixed up? I would think that that isn't the case, but it was a quick thought of mine...! :confused:

bump... any news???

Hi Samkell-

I hope Drexel has received your MCAT scores! You selected the Drexel Medical Science Program under the "other schools and programs" list on the aamc site, right? And if you print out a score report, there is a verification code that schools can enter on the aamc website to ensure the validity of the score report. Whoever you talked to about it said that would be unofficial? :(

I had my interview today with Chris for the IMS program. I think it went okay. He's a student there. He finished the IMS program last year, and now he is doing the MMS program. Currently, he is the only student working in the admissions office (and currently the only one interviewing).There are usually 4 students working in the spring, so that is probably the reason for the lag, but hopefully more will be coming in for him to train, he says. He told me that next week the admission committee will have their first meeting to talk about the applicants, but that I shouldn't expect an answer for another good 4-6 weeks.

Four to six weeks? ahhh!! :eek:

Thanks for the update ilovescience! I hope your interview went well. 4-6 weeks seems like a long time, but I know they must be busy, especially with one person interviewing!!! I haven't called them back yet. I hate to call so much; I don't want to seem pushy, so I thought I'd give it a week and call back on Monday. The last time I talked with the lady who always answers the phone, she took down the 3 dates that aamc sent to mcat scores to drexel's medical sciences programs and said the director would get in touch with aamc to find out what the problem was and then she would call me back. I have not heard back yet. I'm just hoping for the best- that somehow they will find all the materials that have been sent (since most have been sent at least twice:) ) Anyway, good luck to everyone. :luck: I hope we all get good news!

I just had my interview for the MSP program. I was very nervous about it, which was silly, but that is just me! haha. There is only one person doing interviews right now and he is a student so he has a very hectic schedule.

Now the wait begins.....:cool:

G'luck to everyone! :luck:

Just got a postcard in the mail dated 3/02 saying my app is complete. Wow!! :eek: That took a long long time! So, I guess I was worrying over nothing before since they didn't declare my app complete until about a week ago :( I hope to hear something soon! Oh Dr. Sumdae, it seems they are moving pretty slow with the process so I wouldn't be surprised if it took a long time for them to get back to you. Good Luck!! :luck: :luck:

PlAnEjaNe

I received the post card about a couple of days ago dated 3/6/07 stating my application was complete. Finally.
I actually went to the open house today, was anyone else there from SDN? If you want to go to a future open house, the website to register is...
http://deptapp1.drexel.edu/em/events/event.aspx?ID=2

Just look under College of Medicine, I believe the next date for an open house is Tuesday April 17th. The person in charge was Ms. Laura Mangano. She was extremely nice and helped to answer all the questions that we had. Refreshments were also served. There were about 12 students. The thing that I was kinda upset about was that most of the students (10) including myself were there for information about the msp. I think it will be extremely competitive to get admittance into the program. Ms. Mangano said that the average science gpa for admittance was a 3.0, but I don't see how that can be possible. She said she receives 800 applicants for the 3 different programs and they accept 120 for the ims and only 60 to the msp. How are they able to distinguish who gets in and who doesn't?

They already interviewed many candidates, so it seems as if we are already behind in the game if our applications are just competed. She also said that she would be making decisions about admission into the program starting the first week of April for those individuals who already were interviewed. So Dr. Sumdae do not get hopes up for a decision any time soon. There was also one more person at the open house who was interviewed. Overall I feel as if this program does wonders and it would be an honor to go to the program, but I do not know if I will be lucky enough to get in...

Any comments will be appreciated...

I received the post card about a couple of days ago dated 3/6/07 stating my application was complete. Finally.
I actually went to the open house today, was anyone else there from SDN? If you want to go to a future open house, the website to register is...
http://deptapp1.drexel.edu/em/events/event.aspx?ID=2

Just look under College of Medicine, I believe the next date for an open house is Tuesday April 17th. The person in charge was Ms. Laura Mangano. She was extremely nice and helped to answer all the questions that we had. Refreshments were also served. There were about 12 students. The thing that I was kinda upset about was that most of the students (10) including myself were there for information about the msp. I think it will be extremely competitive to get admittance into the program. Ms. Mangano said that the average science gpa for admittance was a 3.0, but I don't see how that can be possible. She said she receives 800 applicants for the 3 different programs and they accept 120 for the ims and only 60 to the msp. How are they able to distinguish who gets in and who doesn't?

They already interviewed many candidates, so it seems as if we are already behind in the game if our applications are just competed. She also said that she would be making decisions about admission into the program starting the first week of April for those individuals who already were interviewed. So Dr. Sumdae do not get hopes up for a decision any time soon. There was also one more person at the open house who was interviewed. Overall I feel as if this program does wonders and it would be an honor to go to the program, but I do not know if I will be lucky enough to get in...

Any comments will be appreciated...

Hass...I am not sure if we are behind the game, I mean, I submitted my application back in the beginning of february and if it took them this long to send me a little postcard saying my app is complete, it tells me that they are behind in the admissions office....I called late in Feb. and they said my app was complete, yet because they are so behind, my app probably wont get reviewed until mid to late March. I find it hard to believe they have interviewed a lot of candidates for the MSP program...maybe for the IMS program. When you say you don't see how the average science gpa of 3.0 can be possible do you mean it should be much higher? There is threshold as far as science gpa and MCAT scores are concerned...you won't find people with high science gpas applying to the MSP program, simply because their MCAT scores will be above 27. I would say they look for a science gpa of 3.0, but I think people have gotten in with lower, it just depends on if you have done recent coursework that reflects improvement. I don't think we are behind...but I don't think we are ahead either...I do think we still have the upper hand. Many people don't start applying to these programs until late in spring.

:luck: :luck:

PlAnEjaNe

The person that interviewed me said I wouldn't hear anything for 4-6 weeks - so early to mid april. I almost went to the open house yesterday, but it seemed like it would just be a bunch of stuff that I already know. But, I might try to drive down there at some point to see the area. I haven't been to Philly in years.

G'luck! :luck:

hey all, i attended the march 12 open house session at drexel as well. I was sitting in front with the light blue button down. Anyways i was wondering if i could get some feedback on my chances for getting accepted. I really feel that my only hangup is my GRE score. My overall GPA was 3.43 and my math science was about 3.46, but my highest GRE score was only a 1020. I sent my application in the begin of feb. and didnt get notified that my application was complete until the very end of the month. Other then my gpa and gre scores my application is pretty solid but i dont know how much of a hindrance my gre scores will be on me getting accepted. Lets be honest with each other all i care about is science. Im ok at math with some practice but i absolutely suck in verbal. What do you guys think of my chances?

MSP at drexel is my first choice but i also applied to BU, UMDNJ, and PCOM for masters in biomedical sciences.

I am not sure what kind of GRE score they are looking for. But, you've got a good GPA, so I think you are probably still in the running. When I had my interview they said that they had not even started filling the class yet. They only have 1 person doing the interviews for all the programs right now, so it is a slow process. But, it is still early in the game.

The waiting process is *no* fun!! Good luck!!!!!! :luck: :luck:

hey all, i attended the march 12 open house session at drexel as well. I was sitting in front with the light blue button down. Anyways i was wondering if i could get some feedback on my chances for getting accepted. I really feel that my only hangup is my GRE score. My overall GPA was 3.43 and my math science was about 3.46, but my highest GRE score was only a 1020. I sent my application in the begin of feb. and didnt get notified that my application was complete until the very end of the month. Other then my gpa and gre scores my application is pretty solid but i dont know how much of a hindrance my gre scores will be on me getting accepted. Lets be honest with each other all i care about is science. Im ok at math with some practice but i absolutely suck in verbal. What do you guys think of my chances?

MSP at drexel is my first choice but i also applied to BU, UMDNJ, and PCOM for masters in biomedical sciences.

oh okay...i kinda remember you...I was sitting in the middle with the black jacket and I had glasses. I do not want to give you false information, so I will not comment about your question, but I believe you had asked her about that. The answer she gave wasn't sufficient enough? I do not know if you are able to apply to the programs at UMDNJ or PCOM without an mcat score. I believe in those programs they requires an mcat score. Also, you probably live around me an area code of 732, i live in piscataway...

oh okay...i kinda remember you...I was sitting in the middle with the black jacket and I had glasses. I do not want to give you false information, so I will not comment about your question, but I believe you had asked her about that. The answer she gave wasn't sufficient enough? I do not know if you are able to apply to the programs at UMDNJ or PCOM without an mcat score. I believe in those programs they requires an mcat score. Also, you probably live around me an area code of 732, i live in piscataway...

Hey everyone, new to the group. I will be submitting my MSP app today. I have sent all LOR's and transcript requests.

What turnaround did you guys recieve?

Also, is there a minimum MCAT for the MSP? Mine is pretty low.............:oops:

I also applied to BU and UMDNJ

MDempress,
I love the screenname! :laugh:

I think the Drexel website says something about most applicants have between a 20-27. 27 and above you are not eligible for MSP. But, I do not think they have a "minimum low." The whole idea of the program is to help you increase your MCAT score! My score is very low, too :(

Turnaround time:

I was complete Feb 14th or 15th for MSP and I was called for an interview on Feb 21st, but I played phone tag with the person for a week and a half. My interview was on March 6. At the time, there was only 1 person doing the interviews, but someone else on the board posted that a few other people were going to be doing interviews starting this week. When I interviewed I was told that the committee had not yet met about acceptances/holds/rejections, so the class is still open. I do not know of anyone else who has interviewed for MSP, yet.

I still have not heard anything from them. I'm ready to give up. :( Good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

i talked to someone in their office yesterday and he said that they haven't really started reviewing too many files yet..

i talked to someone in their office yesterday and he said that they haven't really started reviewing too many files yet..

Oh darn it. :( I'm going to call them later in the week and get an update. I wonder if he meant that they have not reviewed too many files to be interviewed yet or if they have not reviewed too many post-interview files yet?

Good luck everyone :luck:

seems like Drsumdae has been the only one who HAS been interviewed. I submitted my application in the middle of feb and was confirmed of having a complete application by the end of Feb and i STILL have not been contacted for an interview yet.

Overall Gpa: 3.41
Science/Math Gpa: 3.46
GRE: 1020

The lady I spoke w/today said that if I don't hear anything in 2 weeks (either by phone, mail or email) than I should call back. She said that they still have not started filling the class yet. So, to me it seems like they are right on schedule according to what they said at the beginning of March and from what other people on the forum have said.

So, g'luck ya'll! :luck: :luck:

Samkell, is your file complete yet?!?

So, I called them the Friday before last and left them a message because no one answered, the following Monday (last monday), they returned my call but I missed it and just called later that same day. The lady I spoke to said I should hear 'within a week, if that' regarding my application. Now, that was over a week ago...since today is of course Wednesday (if I go by business days that puts today as exactly a week). I don't know what to think...should I call back again this week or should I wait another week? I am getting a little anxious about this whole thing..it's April already and I haven't heard from any of the places that I applied to. :( :(

PlAnEjaNe

If she said that you would hear "with a week, if that" than I would call again this week - maybe tomorrow. They don't seem to mind people calling to check on progress, just don't call everyday and don't be rude, lol. :laugh: They are going to understand that you are worried!

I hope people start getting interviews soon!!!! :luck:

Do you guys know when the fall semester for MSP starts? I remember reading it as the first week of august, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks and good luck to all!

I asked during my interview and the guy said he believed it was the 1st or 2nd week of August. I do not know an exact date.

I did IMS last year and while it has definitely helped having seen the coursework before I don't feel that it helped me get into the school I am at. To be most beneficial for your application I think it would be best to do the 2 years and get a Master's degree out of it. Otherwise, I would save the money, find either a medically related job or volunteer work if you can swing it and spend the rest of your time getting ready for the MCAT. That is my 20/20 hindsight!

I disagree... I would say go to SGU in Grenada... Why? After 2 years and money on a masters, and who knows how much longer trying to get into a U.S. school, you would already be in the United States finishing clinical rotations... Also, do good on the boards and get into a competitive residency... There are atleast 6,000 SGU grads practicing in the United States, and a lot of them have competitive positions in medicine like ortho, derm, rad, etc... The people that half-a$$ the boards are in family medicine, IM, etc...Unless you don't care about starting your life in medicine in in 3-5 years or longer I would go the FMG route at a well established school (Sackler, SGU, AUC, ROSS)... That is, unless you guaranteed a spot at a U.S. school upon completion of the masters...

Complete 3/29/07

The wait begins..........................................

Congrats MDempress! :clap:

I hope we can be classmates in the fall! :luck:

The lady I spoke w/today said that if I don't hear anything in 2 weeks (either by phone, mail or email) than I should call back. She said that they still have not started filling the class yet. So, to me it seems like they are right on schedule according to what they said at the beginning of March and from what other people on the forum have said.

So, g'luck ya'll! :luck: :luck:

Samkell, is your file complete yet?!?

Still haven't heard anything! :( Haven't even received a post card since the one like a month ago saying what was missing. I've had 2 DO interviews so far, so maybe one of those will work out, since Drexel doesn't seem very interested. I wanted to do the program to go for MD school. I don't know if it's worth the continuing headache. What do you guys think? I'm going to call next week for an update. I just assume they still don't have everything (even though it's been sent) b/c I haven't gotten a complete post card, which it sounds like some people have gotten that applied later than I did- way back in Jan. Good luck to all. Dr. Sumdae keep us updated! :luck: