Drexel Question.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it was a snail mail letter with a portion that you must return to them signed with a box checked either "yes, i accept your offer to be on the waitlist" or "no, i decline your offer". :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

brynn7 said:
it was a snail mail letter with a portion that you must return to them signed with a box checked either "yes, i accept your offer to be on the waitlist" or "no, i decline your offer". :luck: :luck:

What were your stats that you got waitlisted?

beastmaster said:
What were your stats that you got waitlisted?

MCAT=10,10,10,Q
GPA=3.74
Science GPA=3.65

Members don't see this ad :)
brynn7 said:
MCAT=10,10,10,Q
GPA=3.74
Science GPA=3.65
Damn, those are good stats. How did your student/faculty interviews go? Good luck with the waitlist, I hope you get in. :luck:

beastmaster said:
Damn, those are good stats. How did your student/faculty interviews go? Good luck with the waitlist, I hope you get in. :luck:
they went pretty well. i have been emailing with the girl that did my student interview. she was super nice. the faculty one was ok. not super fabulous. he asked me the dreaded...solve the healthcare crisis question.....i was like ummmm.....blah blah blah....but he was really interested in the history courses i took cuz i go to a ridiculously small liberal arts college where they make you take 50,000 courses in stuff like philosophy and history and literature. so i recommended some books and stuff and he seemed mildly amused by me. at this point who the hell knows. good luck to you too!

brynn7 said:
they went pretty well. i have been emailing with the girl that did my student interview. she was super nice. the faculty one was ok. not super fabulous. he asked me the dreaded...solve the healthcare crisis question.....i was like ummmm.....blah blah blah....but he was really interested in the history courses i took cuz i go to a ridiculously small liberal arts college where they make you take 50,000 courses in stuff like philosophy and history and literature. so i recommended some books and stuff and he seemed mildly amused by me. at this point who the hell knows. good luck to you too!

Hey guys, is this really true ?

I called the admissions office the other day, and spoke to a woman from the office, and she said Drexel waitlist movement doesnt begin until July, and that they usually accept only 30 people off the waitlist? I was like " ahhh, really ? " But I think this lady had no clue what she was talking about. I would imagine that Drexel would have a lot more of a waitlist movement than that. On the other hand, this year is quite different from previous years in that the ave. accepted MCAT is way higher. Last year, the ave. MCAT at Drexel was only 29-30, now it's 32.

What do you think next year is going to be ? is the MCAT score gonna go back down ?

Terminator said:
Hey guys, is this really true ?

I called the admissions office the other day, and spoke to a woman from the office, and she said Drexel waitlist movement doesnt begin until July, and that they usually accept only 30 people off the waitlist? I was like " ahhh, really ? " But I think this lady had no clue what she was talking about. I would imagine that Drexel would have a lot more of a waitlist movement than that. On the other hand, this year is quite different from previous years in that the ave. accepted MCAT is way higher. Last year, the ave. MCAT at Drexel was only 29-30, now it's 32.

What do you think next year is going to be ? is the MCAT score gonna go back down ?

yea, i remember when i was at my interview, they explained how the avg mcat was higher this year than past years. from the postings, it seems like people with 32+ are getting in and those with lower stats are getting waitlisted. did any of you who got in have an mcat of less than 32? if so, how much lower was it?

naach83 said:
yea, i remember when i was at my interview, they explained how the avg mcat was higher this year than past years. from the postings, it seems like people with 32+ are getting in and those with lower stats are getting waitlisted. did any of you who got in have an mcat of less than 32? if so, how much lower was it?

my mcat was 31, and my grades were kinda on the low side. i was interviewed early so that might've helped in me getting in

Hey guys, I've been accepted to Drexel and am planning on moving down mid july from NH, but have no clue about my housing situation. Any suggestions on where or where not to live? And what's the deal with their roommate list? And if anyone is looking for a roommate, holla back.

so i think i mentioned that i interviewed on april 14th.....
if the girl that missed the train with me that afternoon and ran after cabs in the middle of the road is reading this give me a shout. you said you come on here sometimes. i would love to know how things have gone for you... that was soooooo funny. hey is that the train???? ummmm yeah that was the train. :laugh:

I interviewed on March 29th and called today to check my status and my application hasn't even gone before the committee yet. This has got to be insane ! She told me to wait 3-4 weeks for an answer.

naach83 said:

Yes, My MCAT is 31O, but I have really high science socres and high GPA (3.76 overall from UCI and 3.94 in science): 12 in both biology and physics sections, the reason that I got 31 was becasue I screwed up the verbal reasoning section... becasue English is my second language, and I have only been living in the U.S. for a few years...

Interviewed 4/7, waitlisted 5/19... :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm i also interviewed on 4/7...hopefully i'll be getting a response soon then!

I interviewed March 18th (I got the letter in Jan for an interview but they wouldn't let me schedule anything earlier than late March - my interviewer said it was cause of my August MCAT :rolleyes: ) and was waitlisted exactly 1 month later.
The Admissions office said the waitlist usually moves around mid-June (called today but she didn't know about how many people move off the list, and no it isn't ranked) but I never really was good at waiting. I might write another LOI though I didn't think enough to write to my interviewers and keep in contact with them :( - maybe they might remember me still? Good luck to all who are waitlisted!

DoctorMalki said:
I interviewed on March 29th and called today to check my status and my application hasn't even gone before the committee yet. This has got to be insane ! She told me to wait 3-4 weeks for an answer.

She just returned my phone call and told me the same thing. I'm on cue to go up for committee, 3-4 week wait time for a response -- due to extraordinary increase in applicants (gee, anyone ever hear THAT before?? :laugh: )

I interviewed on March 24 (got the invite around thanksgiving) and I haven't heard anything since.

crappy undergrad grades (3.0), 34 MCAT if anyone actually cares.

I interviewed 3/8 and have been waiting forever.....i called the admissions office yesterday and they told me that they finally made a decision and I should get it in about 5-10 days....i wondering since she did not tell me any details that prob means that i either got waitlisted or rejected.....i mean wouldnt she have told me that I was accepted if i indeed was?? Maybe Im just looking too much into it....well see in 5-10 i guess

naach83 said:

I got in with at 31 R. I have a pretty low GPA too (3.43) but from a good school (Penn). I am not going though, so that opens up at least one spot for you guys. I loved the school and love Philadelphia. I am going to my state school though...so not to have to spend so much money!

As a current third year student at Drexel who got in off the waitlist, I can tell you that if you are TRULY interested in attending the school (and the school is very very good), then it would be in your best interest to send a letter or intent or interest to the dean of admissions. I think Dr Tunkel is this person. The school really is very very strong in terms of didactic teaching first and second year especially, and there are some awesome clinical sites that we have. I wouldn't waste your time trying to overanalyze why the average accepted MCAT scores are higher this year compared to others... Don't worry, it won't "bite the school in the ass" as some have suggested. But only write back to the school if you're truly interested in attending and would go if accepted.

Finally recieved the decision from drexel today....but as soon as I saw it was a small envelope i knew i didnt get in.....but i got the next best thing.....yet another waitlist....hopefully they will have a good amount of movement and we all get in!!

I was wondering if anyone knew when Drexel sent out Fin. Aid info (as in how soon after aceptance) I just got in this weekend and was trying to find out as much as I could about the financial stuff. Thanks for any help.

SplinkMD said:
Finally recieved the decision from drexel today....but as soon as I saw it was a small envelope i knew i didnt get in.....but i got the next best thing.....yet another waitlist....hopefully they will have a good amount of movement and we all get in!!

Welcome to waitlist purgatory, Splink! :p I've heard Drexel usually has a good deal of movement so :luck: to us all!

hey all, long-time reader of the forums but this'll be my first post.
I interviewed back in January and am currently wait-listed. I've already sent my letter of intent as well. Any input from current Drexel med students on whether there's like a ranking of wait-listed students? Like, does drexel emphasize more on the grades or things like post-graduate experiences?

My current stats i guess would be:
29Q, 3.44 undergrad GPA (Neuroscience)
3.66 graduate GPA (currently pursuing a Master's in Biochem to be finished July 2005 for *hopeful* matriculation in the fall for med school)

jeg5q said:
I was wondering if anyone knew when Drexel sent out Fin. Aid info (as in how soon after aceptance) I just got in this weekend and was trying to find out as much as I could about the financial stuff. Thanks for any help.

I ended up calling them and finding out. 215-991-8211.

sorry for the bump....can anyone give me advice from my previous question a few posts up? should i keep hope or start considering other options?

PKSrugby said:
should i keep hope or start considering other options?
you already know the answer to this: both. No amount of "I'm sure you'll get in, you'll do fine" or "forget it, its over" will change anything, so just be practical -- be hopeful, but also cognizant of the fact that plenty people every year end up without acceptances despite multiple waitlists.

very true, guess i just gotta sit tight and hope for the best :luck:

has anyone been able to get an email back from drexel? Their answering machine says to email them for a status check. I emailed them a week ago and still no response. Do they ever respond?

whournameiz said:
has anyone been able to get an email back from drexel? Their answering machine says to email them for a status check. I emailed them a week ago and still no response. Do they ever respond?

yeah, i e-mailed them a week and a half ago asking about when waitlisted students start hearing back and i never got a reply from the medstat. i guess they're busy now trying to get numbers and start movement of the waitlist or something.

PKSrugby said:
yeah, i e-mailed them a week and a half ago asking about when waitlisted students start hearing back and i never got a reply from the medstat. i guess they're busy now trying to get numbers and start movement of the waitlist or something.

I don't think waitlist movement will happen for another few weeks. People who interviewed March/April haven't all been reviewed yet. We're still waiting for post-interview decisions, which together with mounting waitlists is what is keeping them busy.

When I sent my Email I left all my phone numbers. I was called back like 1 week later and the woman apologized for tardyness because they were all so busy and hold only just then read my Email.

beastmaster, when did you interview? i interviewed on april 7th and my app hasn't even been reviewed yet... this waiting is killing me! :(

naach83 said:
beastmaster, when did you interview? i interviewed on april 7th and my app hasn't even been reviewed yet... this waiting is killing me! :(

April 1, and some people from my day have already received answers. The reviews are not chronological, as you can see.

naach83 said:

Don't worry, it is all about your interviewer's schedule, most likely. Have they said when your app would be reviewed? It does seem a little long for them. A friend interviewed on the 11th of April and heard back a couple weeks ago. I interviewed on the 13th and heard last Friday. I would call and ask for an estimate. Irregardless, be patient, from what I hear there is a lot of activity at Drexel throughout the summer.

I called and checked on the waitlist and was told not to expect any movement until July, just to let y'all know :luck: