Drexel, Stony Brook, or Buffalo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmarmyIguana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, variations on this thread have been done before... but what if tuition were not an issue? (I'm doing the AF HPSP.)

I'm leaning toward Drexel: I think I might actually like PIL and Philly seems more appealing than the locations of both SUNYs in question...

but I'm not sure!

If I don't like PIL, will the IFM curric be as good as what the SUNYs are doing? Is the fact that Drexel's classroom facilities are more removed from the hospital a bad thing? Also, I've lived in Boston for the last 4 years and somewhere pretty rural before then: I'm kind of terrified of driving in a city. I hear that Drexel rotations involve a lot of moving around. (this applies to SB too, I think? Buffalo?)

... I'm just hoping to make up my mind so that I can go ahead and withdraw from two of these three.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, variations on this thread have been done before... but what if tuition were not an issue? (I'm doing the AF HPSP.)

I'm leaning toward Drexel: I think I might actually like PIL and Philly seems more appealing than the locations of both SUNYs in question...

but I'm not sure!

If I don't like PIL, will the IFM curric be as good as what the SUNYs are doing? Is the fact that Drexel's classroom facilities are more removed from the hospital a bad thing? Also, I've lived in Boston for the last 4 years and somewhere pretty rural before then: I'm kind of terrified of driving in a city. I hear that Drexel rotations involve a lot of moving around. (this applies to SB too, I think? Buffalo?)

... I'm just hoping to make up my mind so that I can go ahead and withdraw from two of these three.

based on location alone drexel. however if ur a nyc resident, finacially stony brook would be the place to go (i ignore buffalo because even worse location than stony brook, same price and lower ranked).

so basically, if u care about rake+price over location choose stony, if visa versa pick drexel. i dont know enough about drexel's curriculim to sight a difference nor the student body.

(btw im biased towards stony because i really liked it when i interviewed there lol)

To clarify: I'm not paying for med school--the Air Force is. Otherwise, I probably would have picked one of the SUNYs because I am a NYS resident. (this is also the consensus in prior Drexel vs. SUNY threads) Price aside, though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, that is definitely a pro. :) Is said logo sewn onto the school white coats?

Man, I wish. The white coats have the Drexel patch on the left shoulder but there's a caduceus on it instead of a dragon. If it's any consolation, it'll have your name embroidered on the chest, which sort of makes up for the lack of a dragon...but not really.

Man, I wish. The white coats have the Drexel patch on the left shoulder but there's a caduceus on it instead of a dragon. If it's any consolation, it'll have your name embroidered on the chest, which sort of makes up for the lack of a dragon...but not really.

Dude if they sewed a huge navy blue dragon onto the back of the white coat I think drexel's application numbers would double.

Stony Brook is nowhere near NYC.

Also, Drexel seems to get applications from everyone already as it is (more than 10,000), so I don't know if it would double :p

Dude if they sewed a huge navy blue dragon onto the back of the white coat I think drexel's application numbers would double.

No doubt.

Stony Brook is nowhere near NYC.

Also, Drexel seems to get applications from everyone already as it is (more than 10,000), so I don't know if it would double :p

I think you're severely underestimating the power of a badass dragon patch. :D

I recently got accepted to Drexel so I'm facing a similar dilemma but only between Drexel and Buffalo. I really liked Buffalo when I visited -- the people, students, facilities of school and low cost! Since I'm a NYS, I'm leaning towards Buffalo, but not sure if that will affect my chances of getting a good residency after? Not sure if Buffalo's clinical opportunities will be as good as Drexel's... just because one is in a more populated area than the other. Any help/advice would be great!

Choose StonyBrook!!!!!!! I might be biassed since I went there for undergrad:laugh:, but the ppl and faculty are great, its a nice environment and its only a couple hours away from the city.

I recently got accepted to Drexel so I'm facing a similar dilemma but only between Drexel and Buffalo. I really liked Buffalo when I visited -- the people, students, facilities of school and low cost! Since I'm a NYS, I'm leaning towards Buffalo, but not sure if that will affect my chances of getting a good residency after? Not sure if Buffalo's clinical opportunities will be as good as Drexel's... just because one is in a more populated area than the other. Any help/advice would be great!

I don't know anything about Buffalo, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Drexel that would help you to make a decision. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.