Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann University Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied there since the chairman is Dr. Myron Yanoff... yes, he of the famous ophtho book fame and in a major city, has VA access, etc, etc.

Was very disappointed with the interview day. The format was you schedule a time slot, and come and sit in a waiting area with everyone else and the residents intermingled so you can ask them questions. Tours of the facility were on an adhoc basis: if several of your co-applicants wanted, you could ask a resident to walk you around.

Surgery numbers were around 90-100 cats. VA is about 90 miles away (so you live there for 4 months during 2nd and 3rd year). They interviewed 50+ candidates on the same day amongst 4-5 interviewers, so the actual interviews were VERY short and I felt that my interviewers were tired and just wanted to get through everyone. Dr. Yanoff was pretty cool, and his interview was even shorter, basically flipped through my file and wanted to make sure all the documents were in place.

The residents definitely were friendly and approachable, a big plus. Seemed like they all got along nicely.

One plus is they rotate at Wills for path/oncology and also go to the Wills review course for free.

But overall, I was pretty disappointed with how they conducted the interview day. The actual program may be amazing, but I think how the interview day is run also says a lot about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second what the last poster said. I guess not much changed since he interviewed.

Their training seems to be more than adequate like many programs around the country. The Wills connection is a plus, I think their fellowship match is decent. But I agree the facilities and the cataract numbers were underwhelming. Most residents seemed happy and friendly though.

Looks like this program has been placed on probation for this and next year. Can any current residents or people with knowledge of the program provide some info on what's going on?

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like this program has been placed on probation for this and next year. Can any current residents or people with knowledge of the program provide some info on what's going on?

Anyone who interviewed at Drexel last week have any comments on it?
Did they mention it on interview day?