Drexel vs EVMS vs Hackensack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuskyScrubs

Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding between these three schools and any help would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I will be paying the full cost of attendance at any school I attend with no aid. I am unsure about specialty, but I am interested in Anesthesiology, DR/IR, or Gen Surgery.
I am a PA resident as well.

Drexel University College of Medicine: ($64,565)
Pros:
  • Flipped classroom with few mandatory lectures (I prefer to learn material on my own and spend class time collaborating and working through cases)
  • P/F preclinical with AOA
  • Family lives 25 minutes away from campus. Most of my friends from high school live in Philly now.
  • Offers numerous opportunities for research collaborations and funding.
  • New med building in downtown Philly next to Penn Hospital and CHOP
Cons:
  • The school does not have its own teaching hospital, which may make it harder to develop connections for strong LOR.
  • class size will be around 300
  • I've heard some of the classes are taught by PHDs that write their own exam that do not necessarily prepare students for STEP
  • Lottery system for rotations means I will be driving around a lot for clinicals
Eastern Virginia Medical School: ($57,510)
Pros:
  • In Norfolk, Virginia, which is a suburban environment that may offer a quieter and less hectic lifestyle compared to an urban environment. (LOWER COL)
  • Unique and robust ultrasound program
  • P/F with AOA, EVMS's exams are all based on NBME material
  • clinical training sites in close proximity to the school
  • Better weather.
  • I have a few friends in college that are less than an hour drive away
Cons:
  • Further from Family
  • Program seems to focus on primary care
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine: ($67,595)
Pros:
  • Located in the suburbs of New Jersey, but a short train ride away from NYC.
  • The school is affiliated with Hackensack Meridian Health, one of the largest hospital systems in New Jersey, which may provide students with ample clinical experiences.
  • Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine offers a unique curriculum that integrates basic and clinical sciences from the beginning of medical school.
  • With their preclinical portion being 1 year long, I will be able to dedicate my entire M4 year towards research. (may be beneficial to grind out pubs before residency app)
  • P/F with AOA
  • Based on admissions day and student feedback, the faculty seemed really invested in the success of their students being that they are a new program and are in the process of building a name for themselves.
Cons:
  • The school is relatively new and has not yet established a track record for residency placement or match rates. (MD I shadowed who is a PD at a T5 program didn't recognize the school and said don't go there)
  • further from family
  • Will being driving around a lot for clinical rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you have the fewest cons for EVMS, and it is the one that I would personally choose because it has home programs in almost all of your fields of interest (in fact, it's the only one of the three with a home DR program). Plus it's the cheapest!

All three are mid-to-low tier MD programs, so I think there is a negligible "prestige/recognizability" factor here. Just go with your gut at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 user
I like EVMS. Least cons, most balanced, plus the cheapest tuition. If you can deal with the cons of Drexel, the proximity to your support system and style of pre-clinical education may help you have the smoothest transition to medical school which is something to consider. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user