Hackensack vs USF Core

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balh1010

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I would like some insight into picking between these two schools. Quick summary for each, but if you have anything to add, please do so!

USF:

- preclinical grading (H/HP/P/F)

- cancelled their select program so idk how that will impact things

- ranked ~50

- no mandatory lecture attendance (i think)

- Tampa would be a nice city to live in (i love the beach lol)

Hackensack:

- P/F preclincal

- ranked 79

- mandatory lectures

- 3 year program (can enter residency earlier or pursue something else in 4th year)

- close to family

I do not have aid packages yet, but the tuition for USF is less then Hackensack.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the As! I'm also deciding between Hackensack and 2 other schools. I don't know that much about USF, but for Hackensack, I've heard pretty bad things about their residency culture (malignant admin and residents are worked to the bone, apparently), but would like more corroboration to see if its really true. The P3-R program is only for certain specialties, so it can be risky if you change your mind about your specialty of interest (you can still do the normal 4 years, but you'll be paying a ton for it both financially and otherwise, if that was your main attraction). I also think Hackensack has internal rankings or quintiles, so not true p/f unfortunately. I would recommend waiting for aid packages before making a final determination.

Reactions: 3 users
Hackensack student here at the end of my third year. Lectures aren’t really mandatory. School is good. Haven’t heard anything about internal ranking but also I haven’t asked about it.

Don’t know anything about USF. If you have any specific questions about Hackensack let me know.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hackensack student here at the end of my third year. Lectures aren’t really mandatory. School is good. Haven’t heard anything about internal ranking but also I haven’t asked about it.

Don’t know anything about USF. If you have any specific questions about Hackensack let me know.
Why has everyone told me lectures are mandatory and you have a set amount of days you can miss per class? That seems very mandatory to me

Also there are rankings confirmed from numerous other students during the clinical years, not preclinical

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hackensack may have some sort of mandatory lecture attendance policy. Seems like it's not strictly enforced. Friendly place so many do attend lectures and hang out together, but there are people who don't go to lectures and they don't seem to be dinged. Almost everyone at the rotation sites are helpful. There are still some bad stories, but overall good. The residents seem to be pretty chill and not generally miserable, though they could be.

3 year program is good and you're almost guaranteed to get into whichever available program you want since the majority does choose 4 year program for various reasons, like wanting to do residency elsewhere.

Fairly unorganized but likeable admin staff.

Don't know anything about internal rankings.

COA is pretty high, USF, you're looking at 320K for 4 year. Even higher at Hackensack, but if you're doing the 3 year program, then you're looking at about 290K (pay 360K+ for 3 years but will make 70K for the early residency year, plus one earlier year as attending). If you're doing Hackensack 4 year, then USF is obviously cheaper.

I would have taken USF if I had the choice... Beaches!!!! NJ beaches aren't as nice and the water is cold.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn’t USF have graded pre clinicals? I thought they changed from pass/ fail to graded. It is one of my acceptances.

Last edited:
Congrats on the As! I'm also deciding between Hackensack and 2 other schools. I don't know that much about USF, but for Hackensack, I've heard pretty bad things about their residency culture (malignant admin and residents are worked to the bone, apparently), but would like more corroboration to see if its really true. The P3-R program is only for certain specialties, so it can be risky if you change your mind about your specialty of interest (you can still do the normal 4 years, but you'll be paying a ton for it both financially and otherwise, if that was your main attraction). I also think Hackensack has internal rankings or quintiles, so not true p/f unfortunately. I would recommend waiting for aid packages before making a final determination.
Heard Hackensack's internal ranking is based on clinicals only. Preclinical is apparently true P/F with no ranking.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! I would like some insight into picking between these two schools. Quick summary for each, but if you have anything to add, please do so!

USF:

- preclinical grading (H/HP/P/F)

- cancelled their select program so idk how that will impact things

- ranked ~50

- no mandatory lecture attendance (i think)

- Tampa would be a nice city to live in (i love the beach lol)

Hackensack:

- P/F preclincal

- ranked 79

- mandatory lectures

- 3 year program (can enter residency earlier or pursue something else in 4th year)

- close to family

I do not have aid packages yet, but the tuition for USF is less then Hackensack.

USF has crap ton of mandatories fyi

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Are most lectures mandatory?

The amount of mandatory lectures decrease throughout the curriculum, but some days we’ll have mandatories from 8-5 and that’s just lectures. That doesn’t include mandatory small groups, anatomy lab, or clinical experiences

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
USF has crap ton of mandatories fyi
request hospital GIF