Drexel vs lecom vs (maybe EVMS & pcom)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xcrower21

Reaction score
been putting off making a decision for so long but now I'm out of time and have no idea...definitely favor Drexel but lecom feels like the smart choice. Also eastern Virginia is not for sure yet - have an interview there this week so might be a potential option.

Drexel
pros:
new environment - want to get away from home
decent affiliate list for rotations (?)
like the curriculum
feel as though there are more opportunities for research, service, etc

cons:
expensive - $90k per year
unable to find usmle pass rate but match rate seems a little lower (94%)
afraid to be away from family and not have social support
may have to travel for rotations

Lecom
pros:
cheaper - $60k per year
can live at home to save extra money
have family in town
excellent board scores and match rate

cons:
accepted to LDP and not a fan of the curriculum
strictness with attendance, dress code, etc
rotation sites seem small
getting sick of my hometown

do not have set pros or cons for EVMS yet because unsure how I feel about it but I think it is more similar to Drexel than lecom
any insight appreciated :)

**update: also just got an interview for prom so that is another potential one!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD>DO, also you can switch at LECOM from LDP to PBL, but I would not suggest LECOM (and I attend LECOM-SH), there's a reason LECOM is so cheap

Members don't see this ad :)
I lean EVMS>Drexel but the locations are wildly different so you could consider that. PCOM is much more established than LECOM but MD will open opportunities down the line.

Why is EVMS better than Drexel? The match lists say otherwise.
EVMS has home residency programs, you stay in one location for all of M3 instead of potentially moving every month, and is stronger overall rn imo. Drexel is going through a lot. I interviewed at both last year and much preferred EVMS

As someone said, definitely EVMS >> Drexel >>>>>> LECOM.
LECOM is not a good school to attend when you have other options. First, because unless you really like OMM and want to practice osteopathic medicine, choose MD over DO. Second, LECOM doesn't even require an MCAT, so its reputation is not nearly as good as the other two options.

Regarding EVMS and Drexel, I think EVMS has a better curriculum/teaching style. At Drexel, they don't do traditional lectures at all. Rather, you have to study everything yourself. Trust me, as a first-year medical student, you don't want to be completely on your own with studying. You want the option to attend lectures (that you can skip if you decide you don't want to attend).

Reactions: 1 user
What about what do people think of Drexel vs pcom other than the fact that one is DO and the other MD. Since they're both in Philly and more established, wouldn't it be relatively equal opportunity for both? Plus I think pcom has a better average match rate than Drexel

What about what do people think of Drexel vs pcom other than the fact that one is DO and the other MD. Since they're both in Philly and more established, wouldn't it be relatively equal opportunity for both? Plus I think pcom has a better average match rate than Drexel
I think that even though PCOM's match rate is higher, most of those matches are probably to primary care residencies which are much easier to match into. Meanwhile, at Drexel, people are probably trying for more competitive residencies, which could explain the lower match rate.

Also, from the DO schools I've visited and the ones I applied to last year, they had far fewer research opportunities than all the MD schools. But PCOM does seem more established than most other DO schools so it might not be different there.

*I don't know much about PCOM and this is pure speculation. Haven't done any research so I could be completely wrong.

MD still beats DO.
ive seen the match list (i cannot share it).
contains nsg, plastics, IR, derm, ortho (many of these have multiple matches into that specialty)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a third year student now rotating with many DO students interested in the same specialties as me (emergency med), they have many more hurdles to jump through, even though they have better scores and some programs that straight up just don't take DOs. This doesn't seem like an important issue when applying to medical school, but I promise you, MD is a much smarter choice.