Drexel VS Loyola VS Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIWanttoBe1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i was just accepted into Loyola, Drexel, and Rush! I am interested in a couple of things at the moment: pediatric oncology, psychiatry, or general oncology. Any tips? I am also in a long distance relationship with my fiancé and want to take him into account. Any thoughts of these schools? :)

thank you for your input

Members don't see this ad.

Go wherever is cheaper + close to your fiance.

At surface glance I'd say Rush = Loyola > Drexel.

The specialties you mentioned are not traditionally competitive at the residency level and all of those schools can get you there easily as long as you put in a decent effort.

The specialties you mentioned are not traditionally competitive at the residency level and all of those schools can get you there easily as long as you put in a decent effort.
agree with cheaper and closer to support

may consider student feedback and curriculum and grading style and publication opportunities

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush > Loyola in terms of location. Plus if you're near the campus you can hop right on the blue line to OHare for flights to see your fiance/they can come to you.

Reactions: 2 users

Psych is the new “hot” specialty. No longer a gimme residency. And, it is certainly not known as a killer residency.

@mikesheree What do you mean by it is not known as a killer residency?

What would you recommend?

Pretty much any surgical residency qualifies as a “killer” residency. (particularly in the past). I am in no position to recommend a specialty for you. That is strictly your choice.

Sorry I think I misunderstood. I was unsure that psychiatry was a surgical residency. I know what I want to do. I was asking what your opinion was in terms of school choice.

Sorry I think I misunderstood. I was unsure that psychiatry was a surgical residency. I know what I want to do. I was asking what your opinion was in terms of school choice.

I was just trying to say originally that psychiatry is not a super competitive specialty - all of these schools can get you into a good psych residency, the rest depends on how well you do!

Reactions: 1 users
Rush > Loyola in terms of location. Plus if you're near the campus you can hop right on the blue line to OHare for flights to see your fiance/they can come to you.
Theyre literally a 10 minute drive apart lol

Reactions: 1 user
RUSH and LOYOLA just couldn't be any different. Do you like 0 lectures and 200 page packets where your entire curriculum is small group based? Go to Rush. Do you like lectures and a more traditional curriculum? GO to Loyola. They literally couldn't be anymore different if you tried.

thats if you have a car and can find a place to park. a few blocks makes a big difference for the carless
This is very true!! I will say tho NGL I love having my med school in a beautiful med school building steps from the hospital, unlike rush where your med school is on the7th and 8th floor of an administrative office building 4 blocks away from the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
RUSH and LOYOLA just couldn't be any different. Do you like 0 lectures and 200 page packets where your entire curriculum is small group based? Go to Rush. Do you like lectures and a more traditional curriculum? GO to Loyola. They literally couldn't be anymore different if you tried.

Rush and Loyola are quite different lol. Loyola is a jesuit school and has much different programs compared to Rush. The only things similar about these schools are their locations in the Chicago area and that they're service-oriented

You should choose the one that is closest to your fiance! Since all of these schools are US MD, you would be getting a great education and have a good shot for matching at whatever residency you'd like if you work hard. Being closer to your support system/fiance would really make a huge difference in your life as a med student and in the long run too. Hope it helps narrowing it down!

Reactions: 1 users
The medical school is located in the same building as their main hospital
This is absolutely incorrect. I interviewed there last year.... it’s about 2 blocks away!!! Please don’t comment on things you don’t know about. It is in professional building II on the 5-7th floors

straight from the interview email “Enter Rush University Medical Center via the lobby of the Professional Building, located at 1725 W. Harrison, Professional Building II, 5th Floor. Take an elevator to the 5th floor, follow the Rush Medical College Recruitment Day signs pointing you to the Executive Board Room.”

Attachments

• 326B89EF-A8C8-485D-A2E1-A9EF7C614605.png
    326B89EF-A8C8-485D-A2E1-A9EF7C614605.png
    877.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
This is absolutely incorrect. I interviewed there last year.... it’s about 3 blocks away!!! Please don’t comment on things you don’t know about.

straight from the interview email “Enter Rush University Medical Center via the lobby of the Professional Building, located at 1725 W. Harrison, Professional Building II, 5th Floor. Take an elevator to the 5th floor, follow the Rush Medical College Recruitment Day signs pointing you to the Executive Board Room.”

My bad. I've been working at Rush for a few years and we were told that the medical school is also located in the tower (which is where our hospital is as well). I was just trying to bring information I was told from Rush faculty.

But in terms of "don’t comment on things you don’t know about" it would be great if you also follow that because Rush and Loyola are very different and your previous comment about how Rush and Loyola "literally couldn't be anymore different if you tried" is completely false

My bad. I've been working at Rush for a few years and we were told that the medical school is also located in the tower (which is where our hospital is as well). I was just trying to bring information I was told from Rush faculty.

But in terms of "don’t comment on things you don’t know about" it would be great if you also follow that because Rush and Loyola are very different and your previous comment about how Rush and Loyola "literally couldn't be anymore different if you tried" is completely false
It’s not completely false, I go to Loyola and have a best friend at rush. Their curriculums are complete opposites. Loyola is a traditional lecture based curriculum. Rush is a 0 lecture, all problem based learning curriculum that is systems based. Not saying one is better than other just total opposite on the spectrum.

This is absolutely incorrect. I interviewed there last year.... it’s about 2 blocks away!!! Please don’t comment on things you don’t know about. It is in professional building II on the 5-7th floors

Don't know much information but just wanted to say that your interview meeting place doesn't necessarily mean that's where the med school is located. Also, in the map that you provided, it looks like the hospital is across the street rather than 3 blocks away?

Last edited:
It’s not completely false, I go to Loyola and have a best friend at rush. Their curriculums are complete opposites. Loyola is a traditional lecture based curriculum. Rush is a 0 lecture, all problem based learning curriculum that is systems based. Not saying one is better than other just total opposite on the spectrum.

That's not the only difference so saying that this is the only difference and that the schools "just couldn't be any different" is spreading false information. At least own up to it lol.

If you do google maps and check the distance between "Rush University Medical Center" and "Rush Medical College", you can see that they are NOT 3 blocks away (or 4 blocks as you said in your previous comment) and are actually across the street from one another. So please don't spread this kind of false information.

I get that you go to Loyola and have a bias towards your school but please don't contribute to these kind of threads if you are trying to impose your bias with incorrect information because we are here looking for valid advice

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
That's not the only difference so saying that this is the only difference and that the schools "just couldn't be any different" is spreading false information. At least own up to it lol.

If you do google maps and check the distance between "Rush University Medical Center" and "Rush Medical College", you can see that they are NOT 3 blocks away (or 4 blocks as you said in your previous comment) and are actually across the street from one another. So please don't spread this kind of false information.

I get that you go to Loyola and have a bias towards your school but please don't contribute to these kind of threads if you are trying to impose your bias with incorrect information because we are here looking for valid advice
No need to get worked up man!! You’re getting way too caught up in the verbiage. When did I say that was their only difference?

all I’m saying is that:

1) the medical school is on 2 floors of an administrative office building that is not connected to the hospital. Whether it’s 1,2,3 blocks you still have to walk outside to go to the hospital. Not saying that’s HORRIBLE, just saying it’s not actually the same building as the beautiful hospital.

2) they are very different curriculums, with rush’s more modernized and systems based. There is more required in person small group sessions, and no lectures. You receive a packet with like 100 pages of notes before each block.

3) they have very similar missions.... both very service oriented

4) rush is more urban acrually in Chicago and basically in the west loop, while Loyola is more suburby.

I’m not sure why you’re so upset with me lol

No need to get worked up man!! You’re getting way too caught up in the verbiage. When did I say that was their only difference?

all I’m saying is that:

1) the medical school is on 2 floors of an administrative office building that is not connected to the hospital. Whether it’s 1,2,3 blocks you still have to walk outside to go to the hospital. Not saying that’s HORRIBLE, just saying it’s not actually the same building as the beautiful hospital.

2) they are very different curriculums, with rush’s more modernized and systems based. There is more required in person small group sessions, and no lectures. You receive a packet with like 100 pages of notes before each block.

3) they have very similar missions.... both very service oriented

4) rush is more urban acrually in Chicago and basically in the west loop, while Loyola is more suburby.

I’m not sure why you’re so upset with me lol

Not worked up or upset with you lol. It's just that you seem to be having a bias towards Loyola since you go there and theres some information you're spreading incorrect information. Wasn't caught up in the verbiage, I was just trying to clarify.

Hi everyone i was just accepted into Loyola, Drexel, and Rush! I am interested in a couple of things at the moment: pediatric oncology, psychiatry, or general oncology. Any tips? I am also in a long distance relationship with my fiancé and want to take him into account. Any thoughts of these schools? :)

thank you for your input
Congrats on all those A's! Mind if i ask what your stats were because Loyola is my dream school lol

Yeah sure! I had a 3.98 GPA (state school) and a 504 MCAT. I’m super non traditional student, took 4 years off to help my family financially when my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and now I work at the NIH as a postbac at their cancer institute. I’m surprised I got in because of my MCAT but I think my interview went well! Don’t give up hope because of scores!!!! Follow your heart ❤️

Yeah sure! I had a 3.98 GPA (state school) and a 504 MCAT. I’m super non traditional student, took 4 years off to help my family financially when my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and now I work at the NIH as a postbac at their cancer institute. I’m surprised I got in because of my MCAT but I think my interview went well! Don’t give up hope because of scores!!!! Follow your heart ❤️
That is incredible, good job! im a freshman at CC rn with a 3.8 gpa and I really hope loyola doesn't mind lol, just cannot afford state school during pandemic

You should choose the one that is closest to your fiance! Since all of these schools are US MD, you would be getting a great education and have a good shot for matching at whatever residency you'd like if you work hard. Being closer to your support system/fiance would really make a huge difference in your life as a med student and in the long run too. Hope it helps narrowing it down!

+1 agree that you should go to the school that's closest to your significant other. solid advice