Drexel vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD_CO27

Reaction score
Fortunate to have been accepted to both schools but very much on the fence. My pros/cons list is limited to my knowledge of the schools so if you have any info to add please do!

Drexel - Pros
- New building looks nice
- Like Philly, down to get out and go to a new city
- Independent learning heavy and only required to go into campus 2-3x per week during preclinical years
- really liked my student interview, the vibes seemed good

Drexel Cons
- Clinical rotations: not exactly sure about this but it doesn't sound optimal. I want to match to a fairly competitive specialty and I am worried about how the lotto system might impact that
- COA: about the same as NYMC tho
- reputation - seems to get a lot of hate online

NYMC Pros
- Close to home (around 30 mins) and won't be in a rush to find housing
- Regeneron next door - I'm into biotech and pharma. Wonder if this is actually a real thing or just a selling point and if I would have a problem finding similar opportunities in a much bigger city like Philly
- Match list seems good (not sure how it compares to Drexel aside from much more in NY)
- Clinical rotations in the city possibly?

NYMC cons
- maybe too close to home. I want a new vibe and experience
- Valhalla seems really boring. The surrounding areas aren't much better IMO.

Would really appreciate some insight! If there are any current students at either school, id love to chat

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC, better to be close to home if you are looking to rely on them for support.

Lotto system at Drexel and being in a giant class does not sound optimal. And if you are interested in a fairly competitive specialty, you're not going to have much time to explore Philly. If you do find time on a weekend, you could always drive to NYC while at NYMC.

Reactions: 2 users
NYMC, better to be close to home if you are looking to rely on them for support.

Lotto system at Drexel and being in a giant class does not sound optimal. And if you are interested in a fairly competitive specialty, you're not going to have much time to explore Philly. If you do find time on a weekend, you could always drive to NYC while at NYMC.

Appreciate the reply! Would u be able to elaborate a bit more? Like do you think NYMC would offer me anything that Drexel would not? I'm kinda excited about getting away from home and living in a new city (philly is only 2.5 hrs away) and if it weren't for the lottery for clinical sites I would prob pick drexel in a heartbeat. Like if I could guarantee getting Allegheny for my 3rd yr (huge steelers fan) I would definitely pick drexel. I just don't want to end up in suburban/rural PA for a whole year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the reply! Would u be able to elaborate a bit more? Like do you think NYMC would offer me anything that Drexel would not? I'm kinda excited about getting away from home and living in a new city (philly is only 2.5 hrs away) and if it weren't for the lottery for clinical sites I would prob pick drexel in a heartbeat. Like if I could guarantee getting Allegheny for my 3rd yr (huge steelers fan) I would definitely pick drexel. I just don't want to end up in suburban/rural PA for a whole year.
Too much uncertainty at Drexel while NYMC has more stability. If it was Temple or Jefferson, it would be fine to go there since they have set rotations and students have better access to research. And the schools have a better reputation.

You can always do residency in Philly or Pittsburgh later. The Steelers may be a playoff team at that point.

Reactions: 2 users
Just going off of what ChillyMD has to say, I'd also side with NYMC. To counter the boring part of Valhalla: a.) it's med school, so you don't have a lot of time to do crazy fun stuff in the community every day, and b.) in the event you and your classmates wanna go out for a good time here and there, NYC ain't too far away. Westchester Medical Center is an underrated hospital in my opinion- me personally, I'd LOVE to do rotations there. Not to mention the other sites in the greater NYC area

Just going off of what ChillyMD has to say, I'd also side with NYMC. To counter the boring part of Valhalla: a.) it's med school, so you don't have a lot of time to do crazy fun stuff in the community every day, and b.) in the event you and your classmates wanna go out for a good time here and there, NYC ain't too far away. Westchester Medical Center is an underrated hospital in my opinion- me personally, I'd LOVE to do rotations there. Not to mention the other sites in the greater NYC area
From my understanding, NYMC has a lottery for rotations as well though the sites are not as scattered as is with Drexel.

Reactions: 1 user
Plot twist - Going to downstate!

I was going to pick Drexel though.

Reactions: 1 user