Drexel vs SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09Doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Up-and-coming, comfortable, but expensive school

versus

the better reputation, research, cheaper, yet really cold and uninviting school with a lot of comutter students.... school

Members don't see this ad.

09Doc said:
Up-and-coming, comfortable, but expensive school

versus

the better reputation, research, cheaper, yet really cold and uninviting school with a lot of comutter students.... school

i dont know how u figure drexel is up and coming :rolleyes:

this should be a no-brainer: go to stony brook

slippery pete you seem to know something about drexel that makes it so horrible that the rest of us don't. please enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Drexel is slowly on the way up, but still nowhere near the top tier schools...Drexel is perhaps one of the more high-tech med schools in the country as well...

I am sorry but Drexel is far from up and coming whereas Stony Brook has a pretty well established reputation, albeit not a top tier one (it ranks 53 according to USNEWS). If you are deciding between these two, do yourself a favor and go to Stony Brook. The money you save on the tuition would just be added bonus.

davidthegnome said:
slippery pete you seem to know something about drexel that makes it so horrible that the rest of us don't. please enlighten me.
:rolleyes:

09Doc, are you an NY resident? If so, then by all means go to Stony Brook.....Drexel is very expensive, and not up-and-coming enough to warrant going there

What makes a school up and coming vs. not?

albinomidget said:
What makes a school up and coming vs. not?
Good question, I've heard of so many unranked schools referred to as up and coming or that the new research building will cause a huge jump in the rankings, etc. I don't know anything about Drexel other than it is a huge class and is a safety school for most applicants. What is it that warrants the claim up and coming other than a low spot on the prestige totem poll?

I think that considering MCP Hahnemann had considerable financial problems from the Allegheny University days and now has a few million in surplus speaks for itself. A few years ago when Temple was given a probationary status by the LCME, people gave advice left and right to avoid Temple because it might not get accredited. Obviously that is not an issue now. I think the problem is that MCP and Hahnemann had financial problems for so long, people just got used to giving it a bad rep without really giving it much credence. It has a large class size because it is a combination of two medical schools. For the past few years, the class size has been decreasing by about 10-15 people. Although, the benefit of a large class size is the size of the alumni network. To be honest, I'm not really sure of the problem with a large class size. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new research building that was mentioned in the Wall Street Journal will affect Drexel's rankings. Also, according to the student government minutes, ground should be broken next month for a new auditorium and additional study space. A faculty member at my undergrad institution once said to me that having to deal with construction on campus is a good sign. It means they are planning for the future....

philly is a great place to live....have some friends that went to drexel - GO TO DREXEL!!

Thank you everyone, almost all the posts though consider the rankings ..and if it were just rankings Id choose Stony Brook...its connected to a major trauma center on the north shore, have hugeresearch grants, affiliation with other great hospitals.

But at the interview a lot of SB students said they go home on weekends, I just dont feel like it is a good sign when its a commuter med school. That piece of info just reinforced the feeling I got from the med school section of the building, not a place I would wanna spend 12 hours of my day. (theres obvioulsy more intangibles to my reasoning, its not that I just didnt like the wallpaper, I just dont feel like writing them and im sure you dont care to read them all either) Did anyone interview there and get similar feelings??????

Anyway the positives of Drexel are just the opposite, plus the curriculum.

So I really have to consider if my tendancy to choose Drexel will be outweighed by the rankings of SB. Its not like the difference is that huge in the rankings is it? Its just going from not a top 20 to not a top 20. Am I wrong?

09Doc said:
Thank you everyone, almost all the posts though consider the rankings ..and if it were just rankings Id choose Stony Brook...its connected to a major trauma center on the north shore, have hugeresearch grants, affiliation with other great hospitals.

But at the interview a lot of SB students said they go home on weekends, I just dont feel like it is a good sign when its a commuter med school. That piece of info just reinforced the feeling I got from the med school section of the building, not a place I would wanna spend 12 hours of my day. (theres obvioulsy more intangibles to my reasoning, its not that I just didnt like the wallpaper, I just dont feel like writing them and im sure you dont care to read them all either) Did anyone interview there and get similar feelings??????

Anyway the positives of Drexel are just the opposite, plus the curriculum.

So I really have to consider if my tendancy to choose Drexel will be outweighed by the rankings of SB. Its not like the difference is that huge in the rankings is it? Its just going from not a top 20 to not a top 20. Am I wrong?

Drexel would be my choice too. I know everyone on SDN would tell you don't worry about, but where you spend 4 years of your life is very important. Going to Drexel, you can live in Philly (which is a big plus) over Suffolk County Long Island. Do you have any idea how dreadfully boring it is there? Not to mention there is no town to speak of. Also, the med school building is really atrociously ugly and it is a commuter school like you say. But then again I don't care about that.

I care about where I can spend my free time and live. Bottom line: philly is much better than Suffolk County L.I.

haha yea the building is atrocius, one of the buildings (aka cementcubes on a metal pole) doesnt have any windows except for small egg shaped ones on the corners!

i grew up in philly - its a great place to live!!!! and drexel is connected with some great hospitals in philly!!!