Drexel Withdraws from Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aparikh1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got an email from Drexel that they were pulling out of the match because Tenet is closing one of their main hospitals (MCP) and overall the hospitals will no longer have funding for fully 1/3 of the total number of residents, approx. 215/700.

Does anyone know if they are now only signing people outside of the match for July 2005, or none at all? Here is the email they sent:

"We are writing to you today with news that may affect your decisions concerning the rank listing of residency programs. As you may know, Tenet Healthcare, which owns and operates Hahnemann University Hospital and Medical College of Pennsylvania Hospital (MCP), announced on December 18, 2003 that it would be closing MCP in the spring of 2004. With this closure, we anticipate the loss of approximately 215 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) funded residency slots from our system. The loss of residency slots has
presented Drexel University College of Medicine with a significant challenge. The College of Medicine must significantly reduce the number of spots from all specialties that it puts into the 2004 Match in order to be within the number of funded residency slots available on July 1, 2004.

Given that the Department of Anesthesiology is matching for July 2005, we have made the extremely difficult decision to forgo participation in the 2004 Match in an effort to lessen the immediate crisis for the University.

This decision has been an incredibly difficult one. We acknowledge and
respect that you expended significant resources in order to interview
with us. We would like you to know that we sincerely interviewed each applicant
in good faith with the goal of recruiting an outstanding 2005 residency training
class.

Although forgoing participation in the 2004 residency Match, we remain
optimistic about the future of the Anesthesiology residency training
program at Drexel University College of Medicine in 2005. The field of
Anesthesiology is exciting and challenging. We wish you the best of luck in the 2004 Match and hope our professional paths cross in the future. If we can be of any assistance, please let us know."

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Arkoosh (PD) mentioned this scenario as a possibility during my interview, I didn't think it would actually happen though.

I took it to mean that they weren't deciding on what to do for 2005. I bet they'll wait and see since they have another year to assess the situation and see what they need to cut