Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tova

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of those who have interviewed and/or been accepted at Drexel, what is your GPA and MCAT score? Do you see the school as going on the rise? To which other schools would you compare Drexel? How do you think it compares to a school like GW/Penn State/Miami?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview invite from drexel. I took the aug mcat, got 12P, 9B, 10V. I have a 3.84 gpa. I have done a little research about drexel, and it seems that students who attend it really like it over there. Their technology seems to be a strong point. I think it compares well with GW, although i got put on hold there it seems its more competitive than drexel, as well it has a better reputation. not sure about penn state or miami.

I got an interview at Drexel...the technology is the bomb..everything is wireless. Also it seems ALOT of their students like their clinical years curriculum. They set up 'pathways' for students to follow if they are interested in a specific field. It is far more structured than most of the other clinical years..where you sort of make it up as you go with a 'random academic advisor' (one student's take on her 3rd year).

My stats 3.0gpa and 9V 10P 11B R mcat....GPA not so stellar but great ECs AND I worked more than fulltime my entire ugrad at a top school....great recommendations and community service-type work experience; URM; nontraditional. I am not harping on it myself...just repeating was expressed to me by interviewers as to why I was given an interview.

Goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
avg stats for class of 2006 = 3.45gpa, 30mcat, age = 25

Drexel likes non-traditional students and looks at the whole picture, not just numbers. It's not uncommon for people w/ higher stats than these to NOT receive interview invites... Just go back and read some previous pre-allo threads. There are people who attend Drexel that graduated w/ 3.8s and 3.0s but most people tend to fall somewhere in the middle.

3.23 and a 12 bio 11 verbal 10 physical. Interviwed on the 27th october and still haven't heard. I would love to go there. I'm going to call and see if they have made a decision tomorrow.

Originally posted by MErc44
3.23 and a 12 bio 11 verbal 10 physical. Interviwed on the 27th october and still haven't heard. I would love to go there. I'm going to call and see if they have made a decision tomorrow.

Let me know if they actually give you a decision over the phone.

I am a white male with a 3.36 gpa (upward trend) and 31O MCAT (12p 10b 9v). I don't have competetive numbers, but I have good ECs, LORs, and volunteer experience. I have interviewed and have subsequently been accepted. My undergrad school has a good "relationship" with drexel, so that may have helped. I liked drexel for a number of reasons (PIL intrigued me, technology, and familiarity with the location). They do not call with a decision. The acceptance comes in a large envelope.

GPA:
3.7 ugrad, 3.6 post-bac science, 3.4 grad MBA

MCAT:
9P 11V 10B O

Definitely a non-trad with a varied background, lots of work experience in and out of medicine, very good ECs, very good LORs.

Like ForensicPath, the acceptance came in a big white envelope.

3.2 over all, 3.0 science, 32P MCAT, not a whole lot of interesting ECs.

Originally posted by asama527
Let me know if they actually give you a decision over the phone.

no. They said no decision has been made. They also said they review on thursdays. Hopefully next week that big envelope arrives

I am waiting on Drexel- no interview invite yet, but I am crossing my fingers. I think they put me on hold.

3.36 undergrad gpa, English major at cal with a 10P 10V 12B R.

The one thing I have to say is that the kindness of everyone I have talked to on staff at drexel is great. They are by far the most polite of the MD schools I am applying to, when they told me I was on hold they were very apologetic about it, and explained the whole process. I guess they hold apps until february, when the committe re-reviews them and gives them an interview or the boot.

jbernet1:

Just curious...were you April or August MCAT? Also, roughly, when did you have your application complete?

i'm white and have better numbers than you and sick EC's, and have a big fat zero in the interview column, so quit your bitchin

Originally posted by timpatt
i'm white and have better numbers than you and sick EC's, and have a big fat zero in the interview column, so quit your bitchin

I wouldn't worry too much. I know my numbers suck and I also know that people with worse numbers than me get into med schools. It's just a nerve-wracking process. If you've got good numbers, "sick ECs" then you WILL get interviews. Just out of curiosity, what sort of ECs do you have?

just got an interview there....2.8 gpa from William and Mary/ 4.0 gpa post bac x 2 years at Univ. of Florida and 35P MCAT...kinda sucky GPA, but huge upward trend.

I got into Drexel at the end of November, about 4 weeks after my interview in October. I've got 29M--9B, 10P, 10V and a 3.5. I LOVED Drexel and would love to go there but I have to wait for Texas schools on Feb 1st to decide my financial fate (Drexel=~50K/year including housing vs. a much cheaper state school).

I think what really helped me is my expressed interest in their Women's Health program. I'm a Women's Studies major, and this seemed a wonderful way to expand from my undergraduate work.
Also, I studied Women's Health in Lithuania this summer.

Drexel really likes people who stand out in some way from the next applicant.

BTW--How did people who interviewed at Drexel like the location? It was much better than the downtown med schools, but would you feel safe walking around at night?

~Abbiequeen :)

I have a 3.6 GPA and a 33 MCAT and good ECs and volunteerings.... I was rejected almost immediatley preinterview.

I'm a white female

Interviews - SIU, UIC(declined), Rush, KY, Louisville, Albany, Michigan

Acceptances - KY, SIU

Rejections - Tulane, Vandy, BU, U of Chicago, Drexel, Loyola

Originally posted by abbiequeen
BTW--How did people who interviewed at Drexel like the location? It was much better than the downtown med schools, but would you feel safe walking around at night?

The neighborhood near the school seemed really nice and upscale, but I didn't really go very far off campus, so I didn't see much beyond Queen Lane itself. There was an area down the hill (near Fairmount Park) that seemed kinda dicey, but if Philly is anything like Denver, neighborhoods can be very different even over a space of a few blocks. Hard to say...maybe one of the current students who lives in the area can shed some light on this.

Also, I might be wrong, but I seem to remember my student interviewer saying something about a "ride home" service if you're there late.

Originally posted by abbiequeen

I currently attend an undergraduate institution that is basically down the road from drexel med (not quite, but it is about 15 minutes away in the suburbs ~ 7-10 if you know how to drive). Anyway, the area is nice, but as with most cities, neighborhoods can change rather quickly. If you do wander a few blocks away from drexel, you will find some sketchy areas, but they are really not that bad. All in all, the area is nice, and living in the burbs is a definite possibility, if thats what you want. When I was describing the area to my parents, I described Drexel as being in philly's version of the queens/nassau county area of new york, while jefferson would be in philly's version of midtown manhatten.

9P 9V 13B / 31R

I'm going to Jeff. Here's part of why:

Jefferson
-In a well lighted neighborhood close enough to the fun parts of town: good bars, coffee shops, bookstores, historical sights.
-One of the best clinical educations in the U.S.
-Awsome reputation with residency programs.
-So much community support and pride.

Temple
-Nasty neighborhood.
-Proven substandard academics.
-Good thing: Connections with a historically proven institution and undergrad program.

Penn
-Also in a decent neighborhood, but not as fun as Jeff's.
-Highest ranking of any Philly school.
-Med students are really supported by the administration and faculty.
-Fairly elite and hard to get into without super high stats & Ivy League undergrad.

Drexel
-In a boring suburb right next to the ghetto.
-Dubious distinction & curric.
-Good clinical sites, but not like Penn or Jeff.
-Potential to become a better school under Drexel's guidance.
-Drexel's interviewer tried to talk me into going to a "better" (that was HIS word) school; even after I told him I would really like to go to Drexel... :confused:

Originally posted by babinski bob
avg stats for class of 2006 = 3.45gpa, 30mcat, age = 25

wow. those are pretty solid stats for the class of 2006 and really on par with so many other schools of seemingly "higher" caliber. then, why the shady rep??

i liked drexel a lot when I visited and thought it would be a great place to have a medical education and i think that i'm not alone in that.

thoughts?

abbiequeen and sanoge7,

First of all, No. I would NOT walk around the neighborhood by myself after dusk. It is within the city limits and while the neighborhood's reputation is not as bad as some areas of the city, it is not a perfect place.

Sanoge, I think that the reputation is not wonderful for a few reasons. One is the name changes, but now we are a solid instituition with Drexel. Second, we have a history of offering education to "non-traditional" applicants, and therefore our average scores aren't as high as a schools filled with "traditional pre-med" students who have strove for a 4.0 and fabulous MCAT scores.

If you have any questions about the school/curricula/etc. PM me.
Mylaina