Drinking after studying helps memory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SangriaSalsa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to strategize my drinking/social life and studying in med school, did some research and multiple studies show recall is enhanced when alcohol is consumed after learning. Should I always follow studying with a few shots?

Improved memory for information learnt before alcohol use in social drinkers tested in a naturalistic setting

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
After seeing what happens to the chronic alcoholics in our county hospital I have no interest in drinking ever again *sips beer slowly* well...after today

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah bruh

Best strategy to drink socially is to NOT drink on days you study. Take a real day off every week from studying and go have fun then.

That would be optimal, but you knew that lol. Do you boo.

Trying to strategize my drinking/social life and studying in med school, did some research and multiple studies show recall is enhanced when alcohol is consumed after learning. Should I always follow studying with a few shots?

Improved memory for information learnt before alcohol use in social drinkers tested in a naturalistic setting

Let us know when you need help for your drinking problem in a few months

In all seriousness, alcohol abuse is absolutely a problem that probably goes undetected in med school and residency and fellowship

Reactions: 1 user
lol no. Don't do that.

Reactions: 1 users
In all seriousness, alcohol is a huge problem among physicians. I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer, but I never understood why people find it necessary to drink to have a good time. If you aren’t joking, just stop drinking before it gets out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to give you an unpopular opinion - I think its a great idea. I find a beer every so often on those hard days when you can't focus really does go a long way. It cancels out the mental noise and let's me focus amidst any distractions.
It does however have a narrow therapeutic range, and anything more than a couple beers brings on the lethargy.

Here's another trick: nicotine. Nicotine gum, spray or patches. Again, really great for getting your mind in the zone on a difficult or important day.

Addictiveness + side effects is for you to assess cost-to-benefit. You're a big boy so I'm sure you can handle that calculation

When did this become a thread for public service announcements?

Some of you must literally trip over all the soap boxes you have scattered about your home.

Do not start nicotine gum. Not worth it.

As for the beer, you can have 1 beer at the end of a hard day. I agree that helps. Just. One.... unless it’s a light beer cause we all know that’s basically water anyways. Don’t make it a daily habit because the first 2 years are extremely stressful and becoming dependent in order to cope is a real risk. Buuttt I still had plenty of alcohol consumption, just save it for the weekends after tests.

When did this become a thread for public service announcements?

Some of you must literally trip over all the soap boxes you have scattered about your home.

Okay bro

You can feel free to ignore my advice or listen. It’s up to you

Do not start nicotine gum. Not worth it.

As for the beer, you can have 1 beer at the end of a hard day. I agree that helps. Just. One.... unless it’s a light beer cause we all know that’s basically water anyways. Don’t make it a daily habit because the first 2 years are extremely stressful and becoming dependent in order to cope is a real risk. Buuttt I still had plenty of alcohol consumption, just save it for the weekends after tests.

Yeah nobody is saying occasional ETOH is bad. It probably is based on that recent Lancet study, but it’s not going to cause chemical dependency in everyone. However using it as a crutch to help with “concentration” (jury is way out on that one) will probably predispose to some degree of dependency.

Also if you guys think the first two years are stressful, good luck tolerating residency and fellowship

Here's another trick: nicotine. Nicotine gum, spray or patches. Again, really great for getting your mind in the zone on a difficult or important day.

This is terrible advice. There are a growing number of hospital systems (read: lots of residency programs) that are screening for nicotine products and they can deny you employment (read: residency) for positive tests.

Casual alcohol consumption is one thing, but nicotine and tobacco can greatly impact your career options.

This is terrible advice. There are a growing number of hospital systems (read: lots of residency programs) that are screening for nicotine products and they can deny you employment (read: residency) for positive tests.

Casual alcohol consumption is one thing, but nicotine and tobacco can greatly impact your career options.

Thats actually a fair point and something to be aware of, but I dont see the issue - just stop taking it during interview season. Its an aid not a crutch.
Same thing with tobacco. Cigars are a wonderful stimulant during a study session.

I advocate drinking BEFORE studying, but that's mostly based off my experience drinking a glass of port (or two) before starting a writing session on my master's thesis. Y'know, to get the words flowing.

Thats actually a fair point and something to be aware of, but I dont see the issue - just stop taking it during interview season. Its an aid not a crutch.
Same thing with tobacco. Cigars are a wonderful stimulant during a study session.

+1 to cigars, my focus after my weekly cigar during med school was always at an all time high

Should I always follow studying with a few shots?

NewYearsEve.png