Drinking during externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doncorleone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question for residents or people who have done externships. I have heard that sometimes on the externships, you will go out with the residents whether it be drinking or just having a good time. I was talking about this the other day with a couple of other dental students, one which is also going to be doing some externships and one that isn't interested in OMFS. The point got brought up that I don't drink and that I shouldn't even go out with the residents if I were invited. The person who wasn't interested in OMFS was the one who said that they wouldn't want a "non-drinker" there if everyone else was drinking. This has never been brought up to me before, other people hadn't really cared. I thought that it would be good to go out with the residents to get to know them, and it shouldn't matter if I drank or not. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question for residents or people who have done externships. I have heard that sometimes on the externships, you will go out with the residents whether it be drinking or just having a good time. I was talking about this the other day with a couple of other dental students, one which is also going to be doing some externships and one that isn't interested in OMFS. The point got brought up that I don't drink and that I shouldn't even go out with the residents if I were invited. The person who wasn't interested in OMFS was the one who said that they wouldn't want a "non-drinker" there if everyone else was drinking. This has never been brought up to me before, other people hadn't really cared. I thought that it would be good to go out with the residents to get to know them, and it shouldn't matter if I drank or not. What do you guys think?

Being that every residency program I interviewed at had at least one Mormon, I dont think being a non-drinker would matter. Just be yourself, no one cares if you drink or not.

every program would love to have a designated driver.

Members don't see this ad :)
every program would love to have a designated driver.

ABSOLUTELY! Extern here, please. If you go out, don't drink, and they don't like you for it, is that somewhere you'd want to be for 4-6 years anyway? Might as well find out before you spend the dough applying and interviewing there. I don't think it'll be as big of a deal as your friends think it may be.

Would you take a nun to a swinger's club? :smuggrin:

To quote John "Bluto" Blutarsky: "I suggest you start drinking heavily..."

To quote John "Bluto" Blutarsky: "I suggest you start drinking heavily..."

I only suggest you drink heavily if your hiccups are as annoying as Tiggers...and if it doesn't make them worse...

Did the fatigue of 120 hours/week tone those down, bud?

As an extern you should TAKE CALL EVERY NIGHT OF YOUR EXTERNSHIP... even if its a month long.

Whether you drink or not should not be an issue. If you have a good personality you won't need the booze to impress your co-residents. I also agree with Scalpel... We would love to have a designated driver! hahaha.

thanks guys, i didn't think it would be a problem, just wanted to make sure i didn't do anything to piss the residents off

As an extern you should TAKE CALL EVERY NIGHT OF YOUR EXTERNSHIP... even if its a month long.

So, pretty much it doesn't matter whether the school says they do not provide housing, you should just plan on staying in the call room every night?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, most placed do not provide housing. Make sure you ask the coordinator/secretary before you go.

And i think/hope he was kidding about takning call every night. At most programs you would die if you did that for a month. Just take it like every 3 nights.

No, most placed do not provide housing. Make sure you ask the coordinator/secretary before you go.

And i think/hope he was kidding about takning call every night. At most programs you would die if you did that for a month. Just take it like every 3 nights.

I guess you would take turns with the other externs that may be there? If you extern in May or June how many externs can you expect to be at any given program during your stay?

I only suggest you drink heavily if your hiccups are as annoying as Tiggers...and if it doesn't make them worse...

Did the fatigue of 120 hours/week tone those down, bud?

Funny enough, they're worse than ever:mad::mad:

if you are only at a program for a week, would it be reasonable to take call every night?

if you are only at a program for a week, would it be reasonable to take call every night?

dude, if you are at a busy program and you take call 7 nights in a row, i promise you will tumble onto the sterile field onto something very sharp, ending your externship on this planet.

Our Externs at Carle took call EVERY NIGHT for 1-2 weeks. Of course we were very nice about providing them with 3 meals, a warm call room with a television and computer and a pager.

I had a buddy who externed down at LSU and he told me he took call for almost 4 weeks straight. I have no doubt that he did, because when he came home he literally didn't wake up and come out of his room for 4 days straight!

Before you go to an externship you need to speak directly with the person in charge of externships... They should tell you what you need to bring with you, if you should expect to stay in the call-room, and any other pertinent details. I always thought it looked bad upon an extern if they only showed up with scrubs... You never know if there will be a meeting, conference, party or "outside-event" that you will be invited to attend. Take a suit and a nice change of clothes (don't forget the shoes either!).

Our Externs at Carle took call EVERY NIGHT for 1-2 weeks. Of course we were very nice about providing them with 3 meals, a warm call room with a television and computer and a pager.

I had a buddy who externed down at LSU and he told me he took call for almost 4 weeks straight. I have no doubt that he did, because when he came home he literally didn't wake up and come out of his room for 4 days straight!

Before you go to an externship you need to speak directly with the person in charge of externships... They should tell you what you need to bring with you, if you should expect to stay in the call-room, and any other pertinent details. I always thought it looked bad upon an extern if they only showed up with scrubs... You never know if there will be a meeting, conference, party or "outside-event" that you will be invited to attend. Take a suit and a nice change of clothes (don't forget the shoes either!).

Carle + Trauma Call = Good night sleep

Extern + Trauma Call + Everynight x 4wks + LSU = He's full of $hit

Carle + Trauma Call = Good night sleep

Extern + Trauma Call + Everynight x 4wks + LSU = He's full of $hit

I agree, sounds shady that he took that much call, but the guy was that bonkers for OMFS. I never saw someone come back from an externship and look so much like a ZOMBIE.

As far as trauma call at Carle, its far from a good nights sleep. It is an extremely busy trauma center since its the only LEVEL 1 for a 45 county radius. The only thing true about Carle's "good night's sleep" is that you have the luxury of taking call from home.

BytCys extered with us for like 2 weeks and it was abnormally light... only a few infections, minor lacs and dentoalveolar trauma came through.

I always applaud the guys that want to get up and see everything night after night -- that's the way it ought to be. After a couple tough nights, I'll make them take the night off. I would definitely think less highly of someone who walked in saying that they were just going to take call every third night. That's weak. Even if you're around for a month, as an extern, you want everyone thinking you're a machine. We'll remember that come interview time.

7 years ago, when i did my externship at LSU, I stayed in the Charity hospital call room for 1 month and "took call 4 weeks in a row". This didn't mean I went and did every consult with the resident on call every single night. I think that is humanly impossible (for me atleast). There were certain nights they didn't wake me up for silly things/consults (especially a couple of weeks into the externship), but I did go down for most traumas and lacs. There were certain nights the residents didn't bother me because i was just so gosh darn drunk. So atleast for me, my "4 weeks of call" probably was equivalent to q2 for 4 weeks. Although I should mention that since the LSU-NO call room had six beds with residents rolling in and out all night, there were other pagers going off that would wake my a$$ up every 30 minutes.