drive or take AMTRAK to Mt.Sinai from Baltimore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Train would be more relaxing and easy but it is not cheap - even with SA card it's $130. Plus I'll pay for cab rides (although sinai is nice enough to pay for hotel). I am somewhat familiar with the city so finding the place is not a problem, although I've never been to 100th ST. before. Are there parking garages around the campus? I'll be borrowing my parents car so I need a secure parking (indoor). thanks for help

Members don't see this ad.

I would either drive or take greyhound. Greyhound will run you only $45-50 round trip and its not any slower than the train to nyc. Make sure to get a non-stop bus, but whenever I've done it it's been 3.5-4 hrs, not bad at all. The drive is also relatively easy, but with tolls and gas, you'll probably spend close to the same as the bus fare.

My Mom used to take the Peter Pan bus to NYC all the time, and it's much cheaper than the train. If you do take the bus, get it at the Travel Plaza at O'Donnell Street, not the one downtown. It's much nicer. It's easy to get to, right off of I95, exit 57 I think. I think it lets you off at the Port Authority in NYC, though that may have changed since the WTC attacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely take the train/bus to Mt Sinai, because it would be time consuming to find a parking spot and somewhat expensive to pay the parking garages. Besides I don't know of any parking garages around that area even though I work there. Getting there by subway (6 train) is quite easy, safe, and very fast since the 6 train runs frequently. Moreover, driving in the city can be intimidating to some people since taxis here don't exactly follow traffic rules.

Thanks for great help guys. To Daredevil: do you WORK there or go to school there? In any case, is it easy to catch a cab in front of the med school campus?

Yeah, I work there as a research tech. To answer your question, you should be able to hail a cab within 3 minutes there, since Manhattan is basically loaded with taxi's fighting to pick up passengers.

But I really recommend taking the subway to and from the school, since it's inexpensive and allow you to see more of the neighborhood simply by walking to the subway station. Don't worry, the neighborhood is more than safe, even late at night.