Organizing blood drive a good leadership experience?

danielthemaniel

Overthinking
May 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all I’m looking to get more involved in my community and strengthen my application with leadership experience, one of the things I’m interested in doing is organizing a local blood drive. I’d have to organize the volunteers, location, and donors. I feel like I’d be helping out local clinics or the Red Cross with necessary blood donations. Would that count as a good leadership EC?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
That can be a good leadership experience as you organize your peers toward a mutual goal. You'd want to organize drives every 8-12 weeks, or once per semester at the very least, and do at least 3 or 4 overall to really say that you had a leadership experience of any duration.

I've also seen applicants who have organized fellow students to serve at alumni weekend events, intramural sports, or performing arts events. If we ever get back to activities like that, keep that in mind. Activities need not be related to any clinical outcome or goal to be valid leadership experiences.

Reactions: 2 users

danielthemaniel

Overthinking
May 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That can be a good leadership experience as you organize your peers toward a mutual goal. You'd want to organize drives every 8-12 weeks, or once per semester at the very least, and do at least 3 or 4 overall to really say that you had a leadership experience of any duration.

I've also seen applicants who have organized fellow students to serve at alumni weekend events, intramural sports, or performing arts events. If we ever get back to activities like that, keep that in mind. Activities need not be related to any clinical outcome or goal to be valid leadership experiences.
Thanks Lizzy I appreciate it

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.