driving to open house=crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Yiot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in NJ and have been here all my life. I am kind of done with it. My family is slowly migrating south and for med school I have decided to do the same. So I have applied to mostly southern schools that I am interested in with a few exceptions( I did apply to umd in stratford but I love that school also). VCOM is having an open house on the 25th of this month as you all know. However, living in NJ the drive is approzimately 8 hours. Do you think it would be crazy just to drive down there for an open house? I want to see the schools but I also want them to know that I am really interested and i am thinking it might look good if I take the trip down there. I can get off of work , drive down on friday, scope the area out, sit for the open house saturday and then come home sunday while staying at a pretty cheap hotel. Unless you think its crazy I dunno. They put me on hold cause they want to see my grades from this coming semester but I am thinking I still have a shot at this school. So what do you guys think? Is it crazy to drive 8 hours and stay over night possibly twice just for an open house? I am more than willing to do it if it will help me get in possibly show my face a little cause I want to go here.

Members don't see this ad.

Ultimately it is your decision, but if I were that "close" and I were on hold and I were genuinely interested in the school, I think I'd put in the time to get some face time with admissions staff (the email said you have 1-on-1 time with admissions).

I'd say go, no question about it. Admission reps should be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm I dunno 8 hours really isn't that "close" I guess I never get out of NJ all that much. The farthest I have driven was chincoteaque and thats only 4 hours or so. so its double the distance. I am pretty sure I'm gonna go though. Face time with the admissions staff is a definite plus IMO. sounds like im going, just never drivin that far

hmm this seems to be more than just an open house if you get face time with the admissions staff. Ive been to open houses where there just an information seminar and tour of the campus with just a representative of the college no one from admissions. sounds kinda kook though I am probly gonna be going

are u guys going?

I was thinking this over as well. I'm also about 8 hours away. I'm interested in the Carolinas Campus, but this is my chance to meet the adcoms and staff for that campus too.

I am really interested in the school and learning more about it... but its a loooong way away for me to.

I was thinking this over as well. I'm also about 8 hours away. I'm interested in the Carolinas Campus, but this is my chance to meet the adcoms and staff for that campus too.

I am really interested in the school and learning more about it... but its a loooong way away for me to.
yeah its not exaclyt around the block. Im also interested in the carolina campus as well!

I'm going. Admissions staff will be there and it will be a great opportunity for you to make yourself known.
im thinking im going. just gotta talk to the wife about it lol

Fill up that tank, break out your Dixie-flag, and hit I-95 brother! It will say a lot.

Do it!

Fill up that tank, break out your Dixie-flag, and hit I-95 brother! It will say a lot.

Do it!
IM GOING! talked to the mrs. we just need to set up arrangements for our pups cause we can't bring our dogs with us lol. but where gonna hit the open road. She drives a little mini coop so we be cruising and also be getting like 35 mpg! lol yup so ill see some of you there!

Is the open house open to anybody or just people applying this cycle? Link?

hmmm after seeing this thread im giving this second thoughts. i too am from jersey but i definitely dont wanna fly out. that 8 hour drive is gonna be rough but this is also probably a way to see who is interested in their school

You can't beat a good road trip with a good purpose. But then again, you can't beat a road trip without a purpose.

Go, and listen to good music on the way!

I'd definitely go.
In the spring when UMDNJ and VCOM had open houses I went to both and they were on Friday and Saturday respectively.

I live in maryland, drove up to umdnj (3 hours) thursday night, chilled with some friends, left umdnj friday at around 3, got home at 6, left at 7 to go to blacksburg, got there at midnight, chilled with more friends, and went to vcom open house.

Possibly one of the coolest solo road trips I've ever done in my life.

DO IT!

dwit.gif