DROP A COURSE? Help help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenylalanine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone dropped a course listed on their AMCAS as a "class to complete in the coming year?" If so, do u have to notify all the schools u have applied to ? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I don't have experience with this but I doubt they care as long as you complete the pre-reqs by enrollment.

The adcoms biggest concerns in this area are:
1) did you finish the pre-reqs mandated by their school (i.e. organic, physics, bio, etc)
2) will you have your degree in hand by the time you matriculate?
3) your acadmic performance your last semester or two should not be significantly different from the work that they evaluated when deciding to let you in or not (i.e., the stuff listed on your AMCAS and transcript).

You absolutely should let them know if any of these elements does not obtain.

If you can retake the class next semester & it won't affect your graduating in time to matriculate, you might not need to worry.

If you are still worried, try contacting AMCAS to see what they expect you to do. (We were told to keep information current through AMCAS).

If you want to figure out what a typical med school thinks about such things, but don't want to tip your hand, contact a school that you DIDN'T apply to, and pose your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
sim4radonc said:
Has anyone dropped a course listed on their AMCAS as a "class to complete in the coming year?" If so, do u have to notify all the schools u have applied to ? :(

I'd say that as long as you have a good excuse, it'd be alright.. as well as if you're definately going to recieve a low grade. I'd say you'd be much better off with a drop than with a D or an F dragging down your gpa. Out of curiousity, why is it that you're wanting to drop it?

hey thanks everyone :)

I want to drop this graduate level biophysical chem course because I just recently had surgery, and now I am tremendously behind in the course since I missed quite a bit of the class.....

it won't affect my prereqs; I finished them all already
it won't affect my graduation date, since I graduated 2 years ago