Drop Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hbsaabr

Reaction score
I'm debating whether to drop biochem and was hoping to get some advice. Doing so will result in a transcript notation that states the week I dropped it and will require a petition, so I'm very hesitant to do so.
This class is 2 midterms (25% each), and a final (50%).
I scored below average on midterm 1 (68%) when the average was 75%, and I think I scored below average on midterm 2.
The class grades will be adjusted so the average is a B (~80%).
I'm not sure what I could realistically do to improve more score on the final; I have been studying with study groups and keeping up with lecture. The time-crunch on midterms has a significant impact on my performance though.

Context: My professor is disorganized, doesn't explain things well (lectures are not that helpful), writes really tricky exams, and has limited resources for students; we didn't even get an answer key for midterm 1. My class has 380+ students and only 3 TAs. I'm taking 22 quarter units and multiple extracurriculars, so my days are extremely packed and I usually don't have time nor energy to study.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

How's your gpa looking so far? Do you have other W's on your transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any reasonable chance of scraping a B in this class with the curve?

Do you have any reasonable chance of scraping a B in this class with the curve?
My biochem class had a 4.0 threshold of 78%, yet the class average was still a 50%....No amount of curve can help a poor instructor.

If you can take the B do it. I remember during one of my interviews, my guy said while having a smirk, "so your grades look good except for biochemistry (like you i had all great grades except this, I got a B-), and I looked at him and said, it was a tough class and he laughed and said I know.....moral of the story, ONE low grade will not hurt you especially if you get above a C and especially if it's in an upper level class like Biochem. Talk with your prof. he/she will let you know where you stand, and bring up the fact that you're applying to med school, they should be understanding. If you think you'll get below a C, get the W.