Drop class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer885

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed up this semester for too many classes. That added to some personal issues has led to a very stressful semester. I was thinking of withdrawling form my a class that is lower level and I don't need it to graduate or for schools. I really think that by dropping it, it will make this semester do-able. My problem is that I have never recieved a W before and was wondering how it would look to medical schools? I don't have any grades for any of my classes yet because we haven't had test yet. Will the W hurt my chances of getting in to medical school?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience, one W will not hurt. I have never heard of anyone not getting into medical school because of a W. As well as I know many people WITH W's who got in. Same thing happened and they just dropped a class to maybe get down to 15 credits or so.

Again, as I wrote JMHO (so that is my disclaimer). That is a good idea to talk to the Dean to see if they will just withdraw you from the class.

From my experience, one W will not hurt. I have never heard of anyone not getting into medical school because of a W. As well as I know many people WITH W's who got in. Same thing happened and they just dropped a class to maybe get down to 15 credits or so.

Again, as I wrote JMHO (so that is my disclaimer). That is a good idea to talk to the Dean to see if they will just withdraw you from the class.

We have had different experiences. I have two W's, and when I called DMU to ask about my hold, she cited that as a major reason.

As you stated, everyone has different experiences. And sometimes schools use excuses as well. I'm going to take a guess and say its more your gpa that has you on hold coupled with two W's then just the two W's. No offense meant.

Full picture of an applicant is important which is why your first post was the point based on gpa. :thumbup:

I wouldnt saythat so quickly... one W wth stellar grade wont hurt you, but a W or two with a less than stellar gpa might. OP, I would try to talk to teh Dean and have him/her not put up a W.

I do have a stellar GPA, it's a 3.88 overall and a 3.8 science. It will probably be difficult to talk to my dean, but I plan on discussing all possible outcomes with my advisor who knows me really well. I will drop below full time if I drop it though... little concerned about that.

I appreciate both of you responding.

I do have a stellar GPA, it's a 3.88 overall and a 3.8 science. It will probably be difficult to talk to my dean, but I plan on discussing all possible outcomes with my advisor who knows me really well. I will drop below full time if I drop it though... little concerned about that.

I appreciate both of you responding.

with that gpa, i would bet noone ever asks you about those 2 W's

If it's too late to drop w/o a W, I'd be very cautious about doing it. A W does look bad, but a low GPA with no W can look worse. You might have to pick the lesser of two evils on this one.

I had several W's from earlier years in college (along with a not so stellar GPA) and they were never brought up. If it's going to make your other grades go up, I'd go with the W in the one class.

If I were to drop the class, I would drop below full time status. Someone told me today that not going to school full time could be looked down upon greatly. I will be doing other things such as research (going to Atlanta for a week to present a poster as well), volunteering, working on secondaries/interviews, and not to mention my other classes. I have pretty much figured that one W won't hurt me but is it true tht dropping below full time will?

I signed up this semester for too many classes. That added to some personal issues has led to a very stressful semester. I was thinking of withdrawling form my a class that is lower level and I don't need it to graduate or for schools. I really think that by dropping it, it will make this semester do-able. My problem is that I have never recieved a W before and was wondering how it would look to medical schools? I don't have any grades for any of my classes yet because we haven't had test yet. Will the W hurt my chances of getting in to medical school?

Thanks for the help!

Oh, who hasn't dropped a class or two. Seriously, I have interviewed twice, and am going on my third next week. No one has ever mentioned it. It is part of the undergrad game these days.

I'd say it's not good to be a part time student if you do it throughout your undergrad carreer. If you take 6 units every semester and get straight A's it obviously won't count as much as a full-time schedule with straight A's. They won't pinpoint 1 semester and question it... and if they do, it sounds like you're doing a lot.

Dude. I didnt even read the whole original post. This is a no-brainer.

I have experience with this. I had four hard ass classes in one quarter. I was about to drop one but I was like, wtf, I can handle this.

Not smart. I failed the class. It was ochem. If you don't think you can do it I stroooooongly urge you not too. That one class more or less ruined my gpa.

Why would anyone care about a W..There are plenty of reasons why someone needs to drop a class.It could have nothing to do with the grade the person was going to recieve in the class.Now if someone had the habit of taking W's then I could understand that as a problem.I got forced into a W one time in a non-science class..
Cheers
howie

Thanks to everyone who replied!