Droperidol and tiny black boxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a CA-1, I got really interested in the droperidol black box thing. What was amazing to me was the absolute fear that people have in using in - so much so that many hospitals removed the drug from their formulary and it was taken out of most anesthesia drawers.

Just curious, any one on this post still brave enough to use it routinely?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a CA-1, I got really interested in the droperidol black box thing. What was amazing to me was the absolute fear that people have in using in - so much so that many hospitals removed the drug from their formulary and it was taken out of most anesthesia drawers.

I use it, maybe, once or twice a month for elective awake fiberoptic intubations.

I use it everyday.

Zofran 4 and 0.625 of Inapsine for PONV is what i like to give.

The FDA is apparently reviewing the black box warning since they made it based on intubation and sedation doses of inapsine (> 2.5 mg) which caused a < 100 cases of prolonged QT. They did not take into account anesthesia use for PONV 0.625 - 1.25. Its in the process now and the black box label may well be removed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also use it .625 mg in my PONV tx.

I use 0.625mg in patients with severe ponv history (but only if they have an ekg with a normal QTC-- I know how lame this is considering the data, but that's what I do). otherwise i use dex and zofran.

Now that zofran is generic, I can see the same black box warning will show up for ondansetron (the drug that conveniently replaced the super cheap droperidol). As much as I would hate to see the pharm industry try that trick, I would love to have my cynical beliefs about the whole black box warning for droperidol proven that way.

Anesthesiology had 2 articles in the same journal about a year ago proving what we all have seen- drop is safe.

I use 0.625mg in patients with severe ponv history (but only if they have an ekg with a normal QTC-- I know how lame this is considering the data, but that's what I do). otherwise i use dex and zofran.

Anesthesiology had 2 articles in the same journal about a year ago proving what we all have seen- drop is safe.

june 2005.

Conclusions: Droperidol and ondansetron induced similar clinically relevant QTc interval prolongations. When used in treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting, a situation where prolongation of the QTc interval seems to occur, the safety of 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3 antagonists may not be superior to that of low-dose droperidol.

http://www.anesthesiology.org/pt/re...ovft&results=1&count=10&searchid=1&nav=search

I like it.

Dude CALLIN' OUT A BOGUS BLACK BOX.

I personally have used droperidol in 5-6 mg doses.....in the shadow of a mentor, MACK THOMAS.

But that was before the black box thinghy.

Embarrassed to say I havent used it since the black box thinghy.

Nice post. :thumbup:

Paul White also wrote one that was very well done also. The comment that accompanied the article was also very good.

Its in the process now and the black box label may well be removed.

I would be suprised, since the FDA has said that the black box warning does not apply to the doses we typically use because this is an off label use and the black box warning only applies to approved dosages - thus we should have no excuse not to use it.

A couple of things about droperidol vs all 5-HT3's. The NNT (numbers needed to treat) for both for prevention is 4 to 5, and zofran is still more expensive than droperidol. Second, the NNT for treatment for zofran is 3. Bottom line, 5-HT3's are better treatment drugs then prevention (from a cost stand point).

What concerns me most about the black box warning is that there has NEVER been a case report in a peer reviewed journal of an adverse cardiac event in the doses we use - yet every 5-HT3 has had such reports. Also, many people have reviewed the "data" that the FDA used to make their decision. It has been reported by some that 9 of the adverse events came from the same hospital on the same day - very fishy if you ask me - and finally, when the FDA made the decision, they were without a head. I think something dirty went on under the table.

I use it much. What I like so much about it is once you have used a 5-HT3 and the patient still yacks, you can't (or shouldn't) redose the 5-HT3 because it is absolutely useless. However, there is a dose effect with droperidol, such that if .625 doesn't work, give another dose and it will have more of an effect, if this doesn't, you can repeat it. There IS a dose reponse. I find this very useful sometimes.

Our department has a PONV algorithm and droperidol is second on the list so it's given everyday to a number of patients and i haven't heard of any cardiac event. We give 1,25mg intra-op for prevention.

The QT prolongation and subsequent Torsade do pointes in susceptible patients is not unique to Droperidol, as most of you know, it could happen with many other neuroleptics ( Haloperidol, Methoclopramide, Chlorpromazine.....) it can also happen with other classes of drugs like Ondansetron for instance: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15915019

And many many other drugs.

This is why I continue to use Droperidol at anti emetic doses and at much higher doses in certain cases where a good neuroleptic is needed.
I try not to give it to patients who have other risk factors for long QT and I use it only in patients who will be on EKG monitor for > 24 hours.

I am glad to hear that so many of you recognize that other anti-emetics can prolong QT interval as well.

For those of you doing complex pediatric cases, do you use droperidol as a post-operative sedative and at what dose? (e.g. to keep an extubated cardiac patient from pulling out invasive lines, chest tubes, etc.)

Thx, my man

The best chemical "restraints" I have ever used for combative pts are droperidol and the velvet hammer. Haldol has never worked well except for delirium (not the same as some pt kickin your A s s
It's used all the time in our major county ED as a chemical restraint, and people say Qt issues are rare when they use it. From what I heard it's almost never used in the other county ED, though.

droperidol is still a part of our anti-emetic protocol for patients on epidurals at my hospital.with no adverse effects to the extent of my knowledge.

For those who care I have personally used Droperidol, 0.625 mg, at least 5,000 times since the Black Box warning with no problems whatsoever.

If you give me a few years I should be able to get that number up to well over 10,000 cases where 0.625 mg is used INTRAOPERATIVELY as prophylaxis against N/V. I do not use Droperidol pre or post-operatively.

Droperidol is part of my Anti-emetic regimen and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Blade