Dropping a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I signed up for the honors program to be able to register for classes early. But the classes I have to take as part of the core honors curriculum are hell. It's not like they are difficult or anything but I just cannot stand it. I'd rather be lectured at for 1 hours 3 days a week and take 4 exams in an easy gen ed rather than taking as stupid honors class in which I have to read documents and then have class discussion and then write papers and do group projects.

I AM DREADING THIS CLASS....

Does a W look bad, especially if it's an honors class and it's showing my dropping the honors program basically...

On the bright side, I just got a 100% on first OChem exam!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a ton of Ws in my transcript...I never really loved science all that much...if I were to retake college again I'd would have studied comp sci and now it's a lil too late for me to change :(

Members don't see this ad :)
But does dropping the honors program look bad?

I'm really considering it now.

if you can't stand it, drop it.
I hate discussion class too, my I am kind getting used to it because one of my classes rely on classwork/discussion A LOT.
It takes getting used to, but it's a different kind of learning, and it seems to work, to some degree :)

But as far as your question is concerend, if you don't have many W's on your record already, it probably won't hurt you much.
Go ahead!

Alright I think I will probably drop it but just one last concern... dropping it will drop me from 13 credits to 10 and from full-time to part-time will that look bad too?

Alright I think I will probably drop it but just one last concern... dropping it will drop me from 13 credits to 10 and from full-time to part-time will that look bad too?

That might be a cause for concern, but probably won't be too big of one. Are you doing research? I know for my school I can sign up for research credits at any point with a professor so if you are then I'd recommend that.

Honors program is not the thing for me either. But yay priority registration!

Just want some more opinions on whether dropping from 13 to 10 credits and full time to part time will look bad on my transcript.

I'm not sure how it would look to dschools, but I thought I would just chime in a little. If you think you can do the classes, even if you hate them, then I would at least think about just taking them. This is one of those times in life where you have a choice of the way you want to do it and the way that will help you best, and I think it would be a good character-building exercise if you went ahead and did the honors program.

Plus, priority registration means so much more than it used to. I'll consider myself lucky if I graduate in 6 years. If I had to do it over again I would get priority registration in a heartbeat. And for me that's 2 years of lost income and lost experience, and 2 more years I have to stay in college.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!