Dropping a class

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by hs2013, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. hs2013

hs2013 5+ Year Member

Ok so I signed up for the honors program to be able to register for classes early. But the classes I have to take as part of the core honors curriculum are hell. It's not like they are difficult or anything but I just cannot stand it. I'd rather be lectured at for 1 hours 3 days a week and take 4 exams in an easy gen ed rather than taking as stupid honors class in which I have to read documents and then have class discussion and then write papers and do group projects.

I AM DREADING THIS CLASS....

Does a W look bad, especially if it's an honors class and it's showing my dropping the honors program basically...

On the bright side, I just got a 100% on first OChem exam!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. syeh3

syeh3 5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I had a ton of Ws in my transcript...I never really loved science all that much...if I were to retake college again I'd would have studied comp sci and now it's a lil too late for me to change :(

4. sjv

sjv SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    A few won't matter, drop it.

5. hs2013

hs2013 5+ Year Member

But does dropping the honors program look bad?

I'm really considering it now.

6. 2THDDS

2THDDS 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    if you can't stand it, drop it.
    I hate discussion class too, my I am kind getting used to it because one of my classes rely on classwork/discussion A LOT.
    It takes getting used to, but it's a different kind of learning, and it seems to work, to some degree :)

But as far as your question is concerend, if you don't have many W's on your record already, it probably won't hurt you much.
    Go ahead!

7. hs2013

hs2013 5+ Year Member

Alright I think I will probably drop it but just one last concern... dropping it will drop me from 13 credits to 10 and from full-time to part-time will that look bad too?

8. Weakfart

Weakfart 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That might be a cause for concern, but probably won't be too big of one. Are you doing research? I know for my school I can sign up for research credits at any point with a professor so if you are then I'd recommend that.

9. AKSeawolf

AKSeawolf 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Honors program is not the thing for me either. But yay priority registration!

10. hs2013

hs2013 5+ Year Member

Just want some more opinions on whether dropping from 13 to 10 credits and full time to part time will look bad on my transcript.

11. ROFL A PIGGY

ROFL A PIGGY 5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not sure how it would look to dschools, but I thought I would just chime in a little. If you think you can do the classes, even if you hate them, then I would at least think about just taking them. This is one of those times in life where you have a choice of the way you want to do it and the way that will help you best, and I think it would be a good character-building exercise if you went ahead and did the honors program.

Plus, priority registration means so much more than it used to. I'll consider myself lucky if I graduate in 6 years. If I had to do it over again I would get priority registration in a heartbeat. And for me that's 2 years of lost income and lost experience, and 2 more years I have to stay in college.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

About the ads