Dropping a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stay in the course or drop it?

• Stay

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Drop it

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ARE YOU KIDDING ME? DROP IT FOOL

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

tarheel616

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to receive a few interviews this cycle so far and as a result my attendance in class has obviously dropped.

I only have 1 class in particular for my major where attendance is taken and apparently interviews do not count as a reasonable excuse. With this being said every missed day results in 1% off of my overall final grade and after the 3rd time it drops half a letter grade from then on. Unfortunately all of my interviews have been scheduled on Monday's, and after next week I will have missed 4 days of class. This means the highest grade I could get in the class right now is mostly likely a B+ unless I get a 100% on every test, quiz and assignment for the rest of the semester. I have tried reasoning with the professor and even went to the Dean, but it appears "rules are rules."

I was hoping for everyone else's input on whether or not to drop the course and retake it next semester. I find it pretty unfair I am being penalized for something I cannot and am overly stressed thinking that if I drop it it will effect my decision of getting into schools or not. If I decide to drop I should obviously contract all of the dental schools I interviewed at right?

Members don't see this ad.

114.gif

I find it mindboggling absurd that the professor would penalize you for what is effectively you trying to further your career. I would contact the department and argue against their policy, and see if you can have the penalized grades reversed.

That said, if you do ending up dropping the class, you'd pretty much just send your transcript at the end of Fall to AADSAS during their academic update, and they would send it to the schools themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Careful about W's from withdrawn classes - those can burn you. However, if you think you can't salvage a grade (ie. less than a B) I'd consider dropping

I have been fortunate to receive a few interviews this cycle so far and as a result my attendance in class has obviously dropped.

I only have 1 class in particular for my major where attendance is taken and apparently interviews do not count as a reasonable excuse. With this being said every missed day results in 1% off of my overall final grade and after the 3rd time it drops half a letter grade from then on. Unfortunately all of my interviews have been scheduled on Monday's, and after next week I will have missed 4 days of class. This means the highest grade I could get in the class right now is mostly likely a B+ unless I get a 100% on every test, quiz and assignment for the rest of the semester. I have tried reasoning with the professor and even went to the Dean, but it appears "rules are rules."

I was hoping for everyone else's input on whether or not to drop the course and retake it next semester. I find it pretty unfair I am being penalized for something I cannot and am overly stressed thinking that if I drop it it will effect my decision of getting into schools or not. If I decide to drop I should obviously contract all of the dental schools I interviewed at right?
A perfect scenario for conflict resolution. Let the dental schools know about the polilcy and what's going on. Maybe they will accomodate you? At least, if neither party helps you out, you will have communicated effectively and it will probably be taken into consideration.