Dropping Classes after Secondary Submitted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechtel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

When secondaries asked me what my plans were for the coming year, I indicated that I would be taking advanced coursework in 3 classes in additional to working full time (I'm non-trad) and some other leadership positions and I hold at the moment.

I received my 8th interview invite this morning and still haven;t heard from most schools. I'm starting to think my plan is unrealistic! :rolleyes:

I was wondering what would happen if I dropped one of the classes that I felt was least relevant for preparation for med school. I would hate to have to write an explanation letter to all my schools, but don't want to have information that is false on application. It is a question of plans, and I'm sure plans do change, but do schools want to know about every change?

Thank you for any ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

When secondaries asked me what my plans were for the coming year, I indicated that I would be taking advanced coursework in 3 classes in additional to working full time (I'm non-trad) and some other leadership positions and I hold at the moment.

I received my 8th interview invite this morning and still haven;t heard from most schools. I'm starting to think my plan is unrealistic! :rolleyes:

I was wondering what would happen if I dropped one of the classes that I felt was least relevant for preparation for med school. I would hate to have to write an explanation letter to all my schools, but don't want to have information that is false on application. It is a question of plans, and I'm sure plans do change, but do schools want to know about every change?

Thank you for any ideas!

You can't change it on AMCAS. The fact that you nonchalantly throw in that you have 8 interviews makes you THAT premed.

It's not on my AMCAS, as I registered for classes after AMCAS.

I mention the interviews, because preparing for and traveling to the sheer number of them was an unexpected time commitment. It is precisely why I am wondering what to do about class.

Any serious advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not on my AMCAS, as I registered for classes after AMCAS.

I mention the interviews, because preparing for and traveling to the sheer number of them was an unexpected time commitment. It is precisely why I am wondering what to do about class.

Any serious advice?

I changed around my senior classes after I had already submitted the AMCAS primary; it didn't affect me one bit.

Sorry, maybe I have not explained situation clearly:

On some secondaries that asked for plans, I listed classes in addition to work. Now that I have interviews, I wonder how I can possibly do so much. I am inclined to drop one class, but am wondering what to do about schools to which I listed this class.

On some secondaries that asked for plans, I listed classes in addition to work. Now that I have interviews, I wonder how I can possibly do so much. I am inclined to drop one class, but am wondering what to do about schools to which I listed this class.

Applications are not binding. They will understand if you tell them that you dropped one class because your "busy work schedule" did not allow you to take it.

Drop or withdraw?? There's a big difference.

He means not take in the first place. And it's fine. Courses you mark as 'present/future' don't bind you. It's just your rough plan, and it's treated as such. I took a bunch of classes in my senior year, and only shot 70% or so on the AMCAS, no big deal.

One of the schools I applied to asked the same essay; it's the same school I'm attending now, and I didn't get kicked out or have my acceptance rescinded.

You're fine.:rolleyes:

Any other opinions please? I now have 11 interviews scheduled. While I am certainly very fortunate to be in this position, it would be very difficult to prepare and go to all interviews relaxed while also taking significant course load and working. Please help!

Last edited:
He means not take in the first place. And it's fine. Courses you mark as 'present/future' don't bind you. It's just your rough plan, and it's treated as such. I took a bunch of classes in my senior year, and only shot 70% or so on the AMCAS, no big deal.

Sorry, do you mean you only took 70% of classes you listed on AMCAS or your AMCAS only listed 70% of the classes you took?

Sorry, do you mean you only took 70% of classes you listed on AMCAS or your AMCAS only listed 70% of the classes you took?

He means he only took about 70% of what he listed on AMCAS. I was the same way last year, after I found out Developmental Biology was a void class, and discovered some new classes that would complete my major and be fun.

Seriously guys, I know my situation isn't going to garner much sympathy, but it is a serious dilemma. I want to be sure I'm not jeopardizing my application by dropping the class.

Seriously guys, I know my situation isn't going to garner much sympathy, but it is a serious dilemma. I want to be sure I'm not jeopardizing my application by dropping the class.

It wouldn't be such a "serious dilemma" if you, you know, actually read what people wrote. The classes I took senior year did not match up with the classes I listed on AMCAS; you'll be fine.:rolleyes:

WOW. this guys is just WOW. you have 11 interviews. if you're so smart, figure it out! the classes aren't binding so just change them. or call the schools if you are worried. what did you expect from posting here? and on top of that, you didn't even read what people posted. why post and then not read?

and NO. this is NOT a serious dilemma. when the interviewer asks you about a serious dilemma you faced in your life, i hope you respond with this dilemma. he'll more than likely show you the door.

i hope these type of people don't end up operating on people or end up in whatever medical school i go to.

and in all seriousness, after 11 interviews you will be missing SO MUCH class. you better be taking 1/2 classes, otherwise you will more than likely get rocked. why schedule all 11? i'm sure some of them are safety can can be pushed back to a date where cancellation will be possible.

Last edited:
i hope these type of people don't end up operating on people or end up in whatever medical school i go to.

i think OP is a pretty cool guy. eh got 11 interviews and seems really smart

OP: with 11 interviews, I'm assuming you have pretty kick-butt stats. Do you really think a school is going to reject you because you can't take 1-2 of your classes?

Now, if you DON'T have kick-butt stats, then you need to drop all your DO and carib interviews (yeah, I'm assuming that's what you've got. sue me). That should bring you down to 3-4 interviews. much more manageable.

Thank you all for the advice and all the best!