Dropping Master's from PhD for SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lythande

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the post bacc forum, but perhaps I'll get more response here.

For background, I am in a PhD program and I was supposed to qualify and get a master's this spring, but due to illness I wasn't able to take the requisite courses, so I won't qualify until next year. I know it'll look better to stick it out and finish what I started, but I am very (clinically) depressed in my program.

My PI (who is an MD, but she got it long ago, so perhaps irrelevant) encouraged me to apply to SMP's, and I have. If I get accepted to those and decide to go (thereby dropping the master's at my PhD program), how do you think that will affect my chances?

I'm weighing the risks of staying (my health) and leaving (doesn't look as good and assuming I do get accepted to an SMP or I am considering getting a job somewhere).

I did apply this cycle (3.57 GPA, 3.40 BCPM, 28R MCAT), but did not get any interviews. I know my MCAT score and volunteering/clinical needs work. And though my GPA looks good/decent, my GPA did drop significantly in the year I took my premed courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this in the post bacc forum, but perhaps I'll get more response here.

For background, I am in a PhD program and I was supposed to qualify and get a master's this spring, but due to illness I wasn't able to take the requisite courses, so I won't qualify until next year. I know it'll look better to stick it out and finish what I started, but I am very (clinically) depressed in my program.

My PI (who is an MD, but she got it long ago, so perhaps irrelevant) encouraged me to apply to SMP's, and I have. If I get accepted to those and decide to go (thereby dropping the master's at my PhD program), how do you think that will affect my chances?

I'm weighing the risks of staying (my health) and leaving (doesn't look as good and assuming I do get accepted to an SMP or I am considering getting a job somewhere).

I did apply this cycle (3.57 GPA, 3.40 BCPM, 28R MCAT), but did not get any interviews. I know my MCAT score and volunteering/clinical needs work. And though my GPA looks good/decent, my GPA did drop significantly in the year I took my premed courses.
Your GPA is not bad, so I don't really see the benefit of a special masters program in your case. The MCAT is below the average of matriculating students in allopathic programs. I think this should be your focus. Without publications, amazing experiences, etc., 28R may not be enough. With publications, a Ph.D. or M.S., or amazing experiences, my feeling is that you would have been accepted this year if you applied widely. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is not bad, so I don't really see the benefit of a special masters program in your case. The MCAT is below the average of matriculating students in allopathic programs. I think this should be your focus. Without publications, amazing experiences, etc., 28R may not be enough. With publications, a Ph.D. or M.S., or amazing experience, my feeling is that you would have been accepted this year if you applied widely. Good luck!

I agree about the MCAT. I am taking it again in June and I am confident that I will do much better. As for SMP benefit, a closer look at my transcript will reveal that I didn't handle the sciences (except for neuroscience courses) well, though how much it will benefit is questionable.

I'm really just trying to see if there's a way to drop my current program and do something else without it killing my application (I will most likely get a publication out my current work there though). I hate it there for a number of reasons. For practical reasons, my PI's been in a dry funding period for a while, and new students might join the lab. I think even that my PI expects and is nudging me to leave since she knows I don't want to finish the PhD and wants to free up space and funding for others. But she's super supportive of me going to med school. Bah, lab politics.

I agree about the MCAT. I am taking it again in June and I am confident that I will do much better. As for SMP benefit, a closer look at my transcript will reveal that I didn't handle the sciences (except for neuroscience courses) well, though how much it will benefit is questionable.

I'm really just trying to see if there's a way to drop my current program and do something else without it killing my application (I will most likely get a publication out my current work there though). I hate it there for a number of reasons. For practical reasons, my PI's been in a dry funding period for a while, and new students might join the lab. I think even that my PI expects and is nudging me to leave since she knows I don't want to finish the PhD and wants to free up space and funding for others. But she's super supportive of me going to med school. Bah, lab politics.

The joys of grad school...I'm sorry to hear of your turbulent experience. I would definitely fight to get that M.S. degree. If not, you will have nothing to add to your resume/CV after 1-2(?) years of work. How far along are you, past qualifying exam, done with coursework, done with experiments, good way through your thesis?? I'm sure your PI will support you finishing, and ask her if your presence is required full-time in the lab. Might be a good opportunity to work or gain EC's part-time.

From your posts in this thread, I think the key is to demonstrate perseverance. And finishing an MS/PhD is one damn good way of doing that. And if your science grades have not been stellar, that grad degree may be a bargaining chip. If you reapply for '08, I'm sure adcoms will be more impressed with you fighting to finish grad school, as opposed to starting an SMP program (that you may drop for med school).

Good luck! And show the MCAT who's boss in June :)

How far along are you, past qualifying exam, done with coursework, done with experiments, good way through your thesis??

I'm finishing up my 2nd year and have another year before I qualify (I'm a year behind my classmates because I was sick), so by the time I finish the masters I'll be more than halfway to a PhD (why do I feel so stuck in the program?). 2 more courses to go. My grades in grad school are just passing (B=pass). Haven't really started thesis work. I was given a mini-project when I told my PI I want to go to med school. Done with experiments? Does that ever happen in grad school? :) Experiments have slowed due to funding. Though they have nothing to do with me getting a masters, but I need them to get a publication.

*Sigh* I know what the logical answer is (and you all have confirmed it) and one that I would follow in a heartbeat if I had nothing else to consider. But I do.

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate your advice, and it has helped a lot.

Here is a major problem that I see with you entering a SMP(Special Masters Program). At present, the grades in your masters degree are Bs. If you transfer to a SPM and get Bs, you are likely to hurt your chances of entering medical school rather than enhance then. SMPs are great but only if you do extremely well. A mediocre or poor performance in a SMP is a negative rather than a positive since most SMPs have you taking the same courses as medical students. If you are using a SMP to "prove" yourself or "improve" yourself, you need to do well.

As others have told you, your undergraduate GPA is OK(it's right at the average of matriculated students). You MCAT is on the lower side but not out of range for some schools. You do, however, need to finish your masters program. The fact that you were ill and will be one year behind the class that you graduate with is irrelevent. Take the classes that you need and do well in them but finish what you started. Your PI did you a favor in allowing you to do a project that will net a publication. Get that finished and then get your degree finished.

As others have recommended above, retake the MCAT but make sure that you do better. You may need to spend some quality time with a solid review course but your MCAT grade needs to improve. If you are working on your masters courses, you will have plenty of time to do what it takes to prepare for the re-take.

If you elect to move to a SMP, be prepared to do extremely well and realize that you may encouter some negativity by not completing your original masters program. If you ace a SMP (and this is not a chip shot), not completing your original masters will be less negative.