Drug prices and coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckv34l

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I want to know more about drug prices and coverage. Do insurance companies ever buy drugs? In a retail setting, and hospital settings what average percent profit comes from a prescription sold.? How much does health insurance cost if you buy it privately? I am assuminng that many people over 65 buy their own private health insurance with prescription coverage. Is that right?

Members don't see this ad.

Ins. companies don't technically buy drugs, they utilize a pharmacy benefit manager as a middle-man to service their prescription benefit plan- unless they're big enough to have their own PBM company, such as Aetna.
People 65 and over receive Medicare, before a person turns 65 they will receive paperwork instructing what to do. You can supplement your Medicare with AARP -you can get AARP at age 55. AARP has several supplemental plans to choose from, I was looking over my Mother's paperwork from AARP and the lowest plan will cover your Medicare A hospital deductible and nothing else, I believe that was under $100 per month, and then the highest coverage plan that takes care of any out of pocket costs after Medicare pays was about $200 or so per month.
If you're under 65 and have to pay for private insurance- the costs are prohibitive to have an individual insurance policy.

whats a pharmacy benefit manager.....how is it different from HMO and PPO