Drug Regulatory Affairs Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaDrea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a P1 and interested in a career within the pharmaceutical industry, particularly with legal and regulatory affair matters. I've been looking up post-graduate internships/fellowships but is there any way I can get my foot in the door starting now?

Also, I was thinking I could finish my Pharm.D and then either go to law school or get a Masters in Drug Regulatory Affairs. But is it even worth it to get a Pharm.D if I'm not interested in the retail/clinical part of pharmacy as a career?

Does anyone here have knowledge about this at all?! Everyones comments and opinions are appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a P1 and interested in a career within the pharmaceutical industry, particularly with legal and regulatory affair matters. I've been looking up post-graduate internships/fellowships but is there any way I can get my foot in the door starting now?

Also, I was thinking I could finish my Pharm.D and then either go to law school or get a Masters in Drug Regulatory Affairs. But is it even worth it to get a Pharm.D if I'm not interested in the retail/clinical part of pharmacy as a career?

Does anyone here have knowledge about this at all?! Everyones comments and opinions are appreciated! Thanks :)

I see this a lot, and it always baffles me. It's like a person saying they are considering becoming a lifeguard, but they hate to swim. If you're against the primary responsibility of pharmacy perhaps it is not for you. However since you are already a P1, good luck with your alternative search.

Reactions: 1 user
I see this a lot, and it always baffles me. It's like a person saying they are considering becoming a lifeguard, but they hate to swim. If you're against the primary responsibility of pharmacy perhaps it is not for you. However since you are already a P1, good luck with your alternative search.
+1 dude

The vast majority of pharmacists practice in hospital/retail - there are other jobs out there, but they they are very competitive and far and few between. I would not go down the road of pursuing a 4-6 year degree and $100K+ in hopes of getting one those jobs but then "settling" for something they do not even like. I would find out what you want to do - then find a degree that works for it (why go to pharmacy school - go straight to law school then and hope you find what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that I'm opposed to retail - I've been working in a chain for about a year now and I just don't see myself in a permanent position there. I don't feel that a retail job would allow for the professional growth I expect so I am looking into alternative careers (excuse me for that). Most of the postgraduate fellowships/residencies offered by pharmaceutical companies are in the Regulatory Affairs area or something similar. I was just asking if anyone was familiar with this process and what would best prepare me for that track.

It's not that I'm opposed to retail - I've been working in a chain for about a year now and I just don't see myself in a permanent position there. I don't feel that a retail job would allow for the professional growth I expect so I am looking into alternative careers (excuse me for that). Most of the postgraduate fellowships/residencies offered by pharmaceutical companies are in the Regulatory Affairs area or something similar. I was just asking if anyone was familiar with this process and what would best prepare me for that track.

Agreed, retail pharmacy is where good, intelligent, well minded pharmacists go to die - and it is only getting worse every day (just look at all the facebook pages - cynical pharmacist, fast food pharmacy, etc) I was saying if you never have intent to work in retail/hospital, I would skip the time and effort of a pharmD and go straight to law school. You will start out making less $$$ than as a pharmacist (if you can find a job as a pharmacist), but you will save a lot of $$ in the meantime.

Law school is a waste of time unless u are looking to go into patent law for pharmaceuticals. You do not need a law degree for regulatory affairs. The best thing to do to get a foot in the door is to do internships or rotations in pharma/FDA/government agency early on. You dont "need" a MS in Regulatory Affairs, but it can definitely help especially if your school offers dual program. If you are already in pharmacy school, you have "committed" yourself already to finishing school. Even though you will not apply 95% of the things you learned in pharmacy school in regulatory, the PharmD behind your name can give you a boost in terms of career growth and salary ONCE you are in industry.

For those that are baffled by the career change, most pharmacists in industry either didn't know what they were getting into before going to school or knew that going to pharmacy school was one way to get into the drug development/pharma consulting/industry. Of course, you don't have to go to pharmacy school to work in industry. Getting a MS would suffice. Heck, you could get an entry level position with a BS. But career growth is usually alot slower for those without advanced degrees.

I work in both retail and pharma. I can tell you I hate retail - I'm probably just not cut out for that role. But the money is still good and I only work once a week, so it is still tolerable for me.

Agreed, retail pharmacy is where good, intelligent, well minded pharmacists go to die - and it is only getting worse every day (just look at all the facebook pages - cynical pharmacist, fast food pharmacy, etc) I was saying if you never have intent to work in retail/hospital, I would skip the time and effort of a pharmD and go straight to law school. You will start out making less $$$ than as a pharmacist (if you can find a job as a pharmacist), but you will save a lot of $$ in the meantime.

Fast food pharmacy is the sad sad truth. I've worked with all types of pharmacists - new graduates, old timers, foreigners, and literally all of them have advised against going into pharmacy (retail setting, that is).

Law school is a waste of time unless u are looking to go into patent law for pharmaceuticals. You do not need a law degree for regulatory affairs. The best thing to do to get a foot in the door is to do internships or rotations in pharma/FDA/government agency early on. You dont "need" a MS in Regulatory Affairs, but it can definitely help especially if your school offers dual program. If you are already in pharmacy school, you have "committed" yourself already to finishing school. Even though you will not apply 95% of the things you learned in pharmacy school in regulatory, the PharmD behind your name can give you a boost in terms of career growth and salary ONCE you are in industry.

For those that are baffled by the career change, most pharmacists in industry either didn't know what they were getting into before going to school or knew that going to pharmacy school was one way to get into the drug development/pharma consulting/industry. Of course, you don't have to go to pharmacy school to work in industry. Getting a MS would suffice. Heck, you could get an entry level position with a BS. But career growth is usually alot slower for those without advanced degrees.

I work in both retail and pharma. I can tell you I hate retail - I'm probably just not cut out for that role. But the money is still good and I only work once a week, so it is still tolerable for me.

Thanks for your input! This is exactly what I needed to know. :)

What about semi-clinical jobs like med info or managed care?

Does that fall into that category?