Medical Affairs Contract-Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projektreverb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I had a recruiter reach out to me about a contract in medical affairs. The company is a large, stable German company that supports many products.

I decided to do the interview because I’d eventually like to move into this space. I got my red flag during the interview. It seems the contract is to fill in for someone who is undergoing medical care. For now the contract is 6 months with possible extension to a year. Based on the reason for the contract, I don’t expect to get hired. And the hiring manager stated something to the effect of “if we don’t have an increased headcount in our department we expect other departments to have an increased headcount and we can shuffle you there to stay onboard”.

Based on this, I don’t see this being a long term job, and I don’t have enough confidence to walk away from a full time, permanent position with benefits. I’m also fully remote. This position would require 1 day onsite. While not significant, when combined with other elements it definitely makes this less than favorable.

Now, with all this being said, and the recruiter having reached out to me, I’d like some insight from people working in the medical affairs space: this position definitely intrigued me and I’d love to start a job search. I think I have the right set of skills and background to get it. What do hiring managers look for in a resume? What kind of job titles would I be searching?

And am I silly for walking away from this job? Is it good experience to get another more established position?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I had a recruiter reach out to me about a contract in medical affairs. The company is a large, stable German company that supports many products.

I decided to do the interview because I’d eventually like to move into this space. I got my red flag during the interview. It seems the contract is to fill in for someone who is undergoing medical care. For now the contract is 6 months with possible extension to a year. Based on the reason for the contract, I don’t expect to get hired. And the hiring manager stated something to the effect of “if we don’t have an increased headcount in our department we expect other departments to have an increased headcount and we can shuffle you there to stay onboard”.

Based on this, I don’t see this being a long term job, and I don’t have enough confidence to walk away from a full time, permanent position with benefits. I’m also fully remote. This position would require 1 day onsite. While not significant, when combined with other elements it definitely makes this less than favorable.

Now, with all this being said, and the recruiter having reached out to me, I’d like some insight from people working in the medical affairs space: this position definitely intrigued me and I’d love to start a job search. I think I have the right set of skills and background to get it. What do hiring managers look for in a resume? What kind of job titles would I be searching?

And am I silly for walking away from this job? Is it good experience to get another more established position?
Should I Stay, or Should I Go? Now! (the CLASH-1982) Has played in my head MANY times through the years - Often making the wrong choice, sometimes getting it right. I have had 10 different jobs in pharmacy. A five page resume!
Your decision would depend on a whole lot of external factors. Certainly, breaking into Medical Affairs would be the top tier reason. Then again, walking away from stable, long-term employment would counter that.
What do hiring managers look for? HR has taken over this task, they plug in certain systems metrics, key words, to exclude/include your resume. Department managers might never see a very qualified resume due to this process.
One red flag, for me, has always been a recruiter, headhunter, or agency contacting me. After getting over the ego/flattery part, I realized these are jobs with some deficiencies in, location, longevity, pay, or some other detrimental factor. There was some difficulty getting qualified candidates to resort to paying recruitment fees.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not taking it? It doesn't have to be a multiple choice of a single answer. It is an unspoken secret that managers know their contractors are having multiple jobs. They need to either offer you a super high hourly pay rate or some form of stability and long-term employment, or just shut up and accept the fact that you are free to take on other opportunities as you wish.

Take it for the experience and pay, AND keep your current job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not taking it? It doesn't have to be a multiple choice of a single answer. It is an unspoken secret that managers know their contractors are having multiple jobs. They need to either offer you a super high hourly pay rate or some form of stability and long-term employment, or just shut up and accept the fact that you are free to take on other opportunities as you wish.

Take it for the experience and pay, AND keep your current job.
The thought did occur to me but with this contract requiring one day on-site it would make it impossible to work both jobs. Any thoughts of forcing the hiring managers hand on that?

EDIT: I should also mention this contract wanted me on-site for training (4 weeks) which would directly clash with my current job. I thought about FMLAing the training period by I just started my current permanent role in October and literally cleared training.

Last edited:
The thought did occur to me but with this contract requiring one day on-site it would make it impossible to work both jobs. Any thoughts of forcing the hiring managers hand on that?

EDIT: I should also mention this contract wanted me on-site for training (4 weeks) which would directly clash with my current job. I thought about FMLAing the training period by I just started my current permanent role in October and literally cleared training.
That sounds like a resounding no...I would skip it over unless they pay a ridiculously high hourly rate. In today's economic environment, you want to play it safe. More money is nice, but when J2 hinders your J1, it's time to get a new J2.

I'd probably say no to this job also but I can understand why someone might accept this, especially if they have a large emergency fund and are financially secure. Some try for years to break into industry from hospital or retail and it can be very difficult. Although this job doesn't sound amazing, it could be a good break in/initial job. After 2 months you would definitely start applying to other jobs in industry to try and have something set up at the 6 month mark. It's always easier to find a job in med affairs if you are already doing it.

Although this job doesn't sound amazing, it could be a good break in/initial job. After 2 months you would definitely start applying to other jobs in industry to try and have something set up at the 6 month mark. It's always easier to find a job in med affairs if you are already doing it.
What worries me is the state of the economy looking ahead. I don’t think a lot of companies will be hiring in 3-6 months when I’m looking.

The last contract I took (you can follow my journey here in another thread) was with Optum in late 2020. The hiring environment was very different back then and that gig became full time. Also that contract was under the pretext that the department was growing so I had more “security” taking that contract. Plus it was fully remote.

I honestly agree with you and let’squitpharm. There’s too much stacked against this job and not enough pros.

What worries me is the state of the economy looking ahead. I don’t think a lot of companies will be hiring in 3-6 months when I’m looking.

The last contract I took (you can follow my journey here in another thread) was with Optum in late 2020. The hiring environment was very different back then and that gig became full time. Also that contract was under the pretext that the department was growing so I had more “security” taking that contract. Plus it was fully remote.

I honestly agree with you and let’squitpharm. There’s too much stacked against this job and not enough pros.
By all means, you can still take the job if you REALLY want that experience or pay. Just make sure to prioritize J1 whenever a conflict arises. It's okay to not take the manager's feedback or review of the contract job seriously. They can't offer you a long-term job after all, so go ahead and get what you want and simply ignore some of the expectations you can't meet.

• Love
Hey all,

IJ'm not familiar with this role, but I have heard many of these contract PBM jobs are MTM, med compliance monkeys.

IJ'm not familiar with this role, but I have heard many of these contract PBM jobs are MTM, med compliance monkeys.
Ironically enough I started off my PBM career exactly that way. It ended up turning permanent. Honestly in retrospect that MTM job felt like being a used car salesman, but it was infinitely better than retail. At least I got to go to the bathroom and eat lunch undisturbed when I wanted to. Now I’m still WFH doing PAs in a permanent capacity as well. Imagine how low the bar is in pharmacy that simple going to the bathroom and eating, basic human needs, when you want to, is considered a luxury. That’s how you know the field is jacked up.

How did that process from temp MTM to PA permanent unfold?

I initially started as a contractor in MTMs. About 5-6 months in they offered my contractor group some permanent positions. By the time we made it that far along I’d say 20 out of my initial group of 50 people had been let go for performance issues or left on their own accord for other positions. Out of the 30 or so odd people that remained, about half got picked to be permanent based on solid metrics and some arbitrary measures too. I know for sure that there were people who had higher numbers than me that weren’t hired, likely because the manager didn’t like them or some other off putting factor.

I stayed there for quite some time. Compared to retail it felt like an oasis. But looking back at it I’d say we felt a little micromanaged. I won’t delve into specifics in a public setting but ultimately it boiled down to them shuffling leadership on us. Read between the lines.

For the PA position, I got lucky that I had a connection to a place that was hiring for a permanent role. I applied as a referral and I interviewed well. Got lucky and made the jump. Ultimately I’m much happier even though I don’t interact with many people throughout the day as compared to my old roles. My new role definitely has its cons but overall I’m significantly happier.

Honestly in retrospect that MTM job felt like being a used car salesman, but it was infinitely better than retail. At least I got to go to the bathroom and eat lunch undisturbed when I wanted to.
I don't understand how people get over that used car salesman feeling. Glad it worked for you but my brief MTM experience was so much worse than retail even with bathroom/meal breaks and my own desk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand how people get over that used car salesman feeling. Glad it worked for you but my brief MTM experience was so much worse than retail even with bathroom/meal breaks and my own desk.
I guess it might be company driven. I’m not sure where you had your mtm experience but mine was alright in the grand scheme. I did interview with cvs MTMs and I’m really happy I didn’t take it given what I’ve heard about that department. Overall I was happier than retail. But I agree I’m not sure how people move past the used car salesman feeling.

The grass isn't always greener. If you're happy in your current role and don't foresee any decline in hours or pay, stay.

OR

You provide me a referral for your current position.

The grass isn't always greener. If you're happy in your current role and don't foresee any decline in hours or pay, stay.

OR

You provide me a referral for your current position.

Yup, we’ve actually got more work than we can keep up with. So I don’t foresee a decline in either.

I initially started as a contractor in MTMs. About 5-6 months in they offered my contractor group some permanent positions. By the time we made it that far along I’d say 20 out of my initial group of 50 people had been let go for performance issues or left on their own accord for other positions. Out of the 30 or so odd people that remained, about half got picked to be permanent based on solid metrics and some arbitrary measures too. I know for sure that there were people who had higher numbers than me that weren’t hired, likely because the manager didn’t like them or some other off putting factor.

I stayed there for quite some time. Compared to retail it felt like an oasis. But looking back at it I’d say we felt a little micromanaged. I won’t delve into specifics in a public setting but ultimately it boiled down to them shuffling leadership on us. Read between the lines.

For the PA position, I got lucky that I had a connection to a place that was hiring for a permanent role. I applied as a referral and I interviewed well. Got lucky and made the jump. Ultimately I’m much happier even though I don’t interact with many people throughout the day as compared to my old roles. My new role definitely has its cons but overall I’m significantly happier.
what were the metrics and how would one fulfill them?

what were the metrics and how would one fulfill them?
Simply boiled down, they rated you in # or cases per day, quality of each, talk time and how much time you spent documenting after each call. This is high level.

What was the job like?
I would show up around 9:00, clock in, start making outbound calls offering CMRs. Had to be careful to watch time zones because I'm in EST and that's early enough without accidentally calling someone on the west coast. We also had techs dedicated to making calls and transferring to us when they got a hold of someone who was interested. Most pharmacists/interns didn't want to deal with making outbound calls so they'd just sit around and wait for a tech to transfer a call to them but I couldn't stand just waiting around so I was always trying to do something productive.

First few almost always accused me of being a scam and I got to the point that I didn't really care to try to convince them otherwise. Check the time when it feels like it's been about 2-3 hours so I can figure out when I want to leave for lunch. Somehow it's only 9:20. Make some coffee and browse job openings. Repeat for eternity.

Notable quirk: we were paid a base salary plus a bonus for each MTM completed. I ended up making significantly more there than my retail position but I'd take a 13 hour retail shift over a 6 hour MTM one any day.

I would show up around 9:00, clock in, start making outbound calls offering CMRs. Had to be careful to watch time zones because I'm in EST and that's early enough without accidentally calling someone on the west coast. We also had techs dedicated to making calls and transferring to us when they got a hold of someone who was interested. Most pharmacists/interns didn't want to deal with making outbound calls so they'd just sit around and wait for a tech to transfer a call to them but I couldn't stand just waiting around so I was always trying to do something productive.

First few almost always accused me of being a scam and I got to the point that I didn't really care to try to convince them otherwise. Check the time when it feels like it's been about 2-3 hours so I can figure out when I want to leave for lunch. Somehow it's only 9:20. Make some coffee and browse job openings. Repeat for eternity.

Notable quirk: we were paid a base salary plus a bonus for each MTM completed. I ended up making significantly more there than my retail position but I'd take a 13 hour retail shift over a 6 hour MTM one any day.
Yeah see that sounds terrible. I was paid a base salary regardless of how high or low I was at.

Are you still at Optum, or elsewhere? Regardless, I'd look to transfer within the company before taking a contract job. Industry relations, or whatever your company calls it would be ideal, but anything other than prior auth would be an advantage: client management, clinical or formulary development. Do that for a year (or preferably two) and industry jobs will be remarkably easy to come by.

Are you still at Optum, or elsewhere? Regardless, I'd look to transfer within the company before taking a contract job. Industry relations, or whatever your company calls it would be ideal, but anything other than prior auth would be an advantage: client management, clinical or formulary development. Do that for a year (or preferably two) and industry jobs will be remarkably easy to come by.

I actually left Optum. I appreciate that insight it’s actually solid insight.